Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: How do you store it? Help would be apprciated.

That is such a good idea!

Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
    I found one of those tall jewelry armoires at Salvation Army. It has 12 shallow drawers and 2 'wing' compartments with hooks. I added wheels and and also put hooks on the back for long rulers.
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

Same here - tackle box. Love the little cubbies in the trays. Mine isn't that large, but it stores what I use every day when I sew. When I'm headed for a class or Linus, I just throw in scissors, cutters, whatever I'll be needing and close it up. With the handle it's easy to carry.
    Nana Jan
    Friendships are gifts from God that should be cherished and nourished

We travel from north to south, summer/winter and before that we were full time RVers. I bought a wonderful tackle box made by the Plano Molding Company, Plano, IL. It hinges in the middle, so have a separate top and bottom compartment. It holds just about every small item I can think of - including nail files, band aids, scotch tape, pencil sharpener, magnets, ad infinitum. The bottom holds larger items, like my little scrap bag with pincushion attached, and also has 4 separate plastic latched boxes where I have safety pins, embellishments, velcro strips, ad nauseum. And I even throw in a few spools of thread. I drag it with me wherever I go to sew including quilting retreats. Just Google Plano Molding Company and they have oodles and oodles of storage boxes that are wonderful for sewing supplies - even tackle boxes.

Nita in beUtiful Wisconsin

Blog Entries
    I use the white wooden scrapbook storage units from Michaels (?Hobby Lobby in the USA?_) The cubes fit together in whatever combination suits you best. They are about 14"x14"x14" Some have 3 drawers, some have shelves, one has four square drawers perfect for fat quarters. Some have vertical storage for magazines etc. At the side of my machine I keep one of the plastic bins with a handle for my immediate needs-seam ripper, pins, pencils, gloves etc.
    I used to be "hot", now it's just "hot flashes!"

[QUOTE=quiltinghere;5259319]The things I use at the sewing machine desk are stored in a tray in the top desk drawer. Long things like seam rippers, turners, nail files (yep - hate to get up if I get a chipped nail)...needles are in another small box...odd shaped are in another small box.

Haha! I thought I was the only one that kept an emery board in my sewing machine tray!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Sew many great storage ideas ladies and gentlemen, thanks for sharing!

My question is how do you find your stuff after you store it? I put it all up and then when I need it stomp around saying "I can't find my ---".

Blog Entries
    I bought a big plastic tool box about 12 years ago and it has a couple of tiers that accordion out on hinges and it's so easy to find stuff in it. The top tiers has small compartments (use for thimbles, needles, machine tools, seam rippers, small dowel sticks for turning, etc.), the middle tier has larger sections, and the bottom is open and where I store my extra scissors.

Blog Entries
    Since I sew at my diningroom table and my sewing room. I bought a med size plastic tool box and keep my stuff in that.
    so no matter where I sew I just grab my tool box and go to whichever room I am in.
    SMILE- it will make everyone wonder what you are up to.
    Stay strong and keep looking up.

Fabulous ideas, everyone! Thanks for sharing! I am blessed to have a sewing cabinet with wonderful drawers for all my "stuff," plus a cheap wicker chest of drawers for projects. Patterns I keep in a horizontal file cabinet.

WARNING: if you store material in any plastic containers, boxes or bags, put something like muslin or acid free tissue paper between your fabric and the plastic, especially white, as the oil from the plastic will eventually leach into the fabric and turn it yellow. I speak from experience, unfortunately.
    Fay

"You can't help that. We're all mad here." - The Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland.

These are all great ideas. I am getting ready to clean up my sewing area (again) and I think some of these will be very helpful!

One idea I think I got here a while back is to put safety pins in those clear plastic shaker top containers that hold Parmesan cheese. When I pin base, I can just shake out a few as I go along, using the green pop top, and it's easy to drop them back in it as I remove them from the quilt.
    "The business of life is making memories. In the end, it is all we have." Butler Charlie Carson, Downton Abbey, season 4, episode 3, PBS.

Blog Entries
    For the little bitty things like thimbles, feet, pins, etc. I use the larger pill boxes. Drop them in shut the lid and you don't have to worry if you drop them. Also, great for taking to classes. I love mine. I also have one that I put my jewelry in for traveling. A lot of uses besides putting all those pills in and cheap.
    Vonda-Texas MiMi of 4 Beautiful Grandbabies

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    Those small plastic drawer/cabinets that are available in many places work well for some of the clutter.
    I, too, find these to be very handy for all those little things, that are just too much for my pegboard
    It is a blessing, to be a blessing !
    ~Quilters are warm people!!!~
    cheese brings parties together

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...HJV/weight.png

Blog Entries
    I use office desk organizers. They have lots of little compartments, and everything is easy to see.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3