Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Important is Your Stash? >

How Important is Your Stash?

How Important is Your Stash?

Old 07-24-2011, 03:59 AM

When you think you have bought the right fabrics you get home and start the project and something is just not right. I go looking for something else. Do I go Out- NO- I go to my Stash! Last month, I needed just a little more for a quilt I am making for my granddaughter and found material stashed back that I had used in projects made for her daddy. Now the quilt will have double meanings and memories in it.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:00 AM

got to have my stash. sometimes i wanna make a present .dont have time to go shoping .i go to my stash. and theres what i need
Old 07-24-2011, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by katesnanna
It makes me happy but also make me feel guilty at times.Wish I could sew faster.
But being happy is important. DH, even though he comments at times about my stash, says if it makes you happy do it.
Well said, Katesnanna. You have said exactly what I feel and what my DH has said many times. DH does "invite' me to "shop" in my stash/sewing room rather than hitting Joann's but as I drag in another Joann's bag he just smiles and inquires what my newest project will be. My stash is very important to me as are my scraps! Scrap quilts are my favorite besides Dresden Plate and the Drunkard's Path patterns where I can use up my smaller scraps. I'd be creatively stymied without my stash and scraps!
Old 07-24-2011, 04:07 AM

Great to have something here at home to pick from - especially with the house and star BOM on here.
I do have to share this with you...it seems that my having a stash is more important to my husband than to me! When I go shopping for a project I am doing, he is running around picking up various pieces of material and insisting I get them for my stash! :-) Lucky me!!! ...annd no I won't share my husband!
Old 07-24-2011, 04:09 AM

I love the replies. I don't have a husband any more so that is not a problem. But my DDIL, who is NOT a quilter but understands, is always looking at it in amazement that I can't find the right piece for a certain project. Usually in the end I do shop from my stash. I just need to purge all the non-quilting fabric now that I am not apparel sewing any more. That will leave me LOTS of room for more quilting fabric. If I had to evacuate I would have to rent a U-Haul truck for stash and machines.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:16 AM

My stash is pretty important. I like to have plenty of variety on hand because you never know when you might need that certain fabric that is just perfect for what you want to make. And, besides, I love scrappy quilts.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:20 AM

My stash is my palette! My inspiration often begins elsewhere but I go first to my stash to push it to the next step. I don't understand quilters who go from kit to kit and have only the kits scraps on their shelves.........
Old 07-24-2011, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by valsma
Pretty important. If I don't have any, when I can't afford to buy fabric I couldn't still make things.
This sums it up pretty good for me. Out of work and no $ to spend on fabric, I made 2 projects this week totally from my stash, 1. a wall hanging paper pieced name banner
2. small lap quilt to be used as the sample for a learn to quilt class.
How important is my stash, priceless:)
Old 07-24-2011, 04:48 AM

Very important. It is now to the size where I can actually have a choice in fabric. DH always asks "don't you have enough?"
Old 07-24-2011, 04:58 AM
Power Poster

I have so much fabric I would have to live to 120 to use it all up... Now that is good insurance.