Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How would you have responded? >

How would you have responded?

How would you have responded?

Old 02-21-2011, 06:29 PM

As one who works in legal, then me explain this to you & sorry but I will be blunt & straight to the point that.... YOU are breaking the law & it would be YOu to suffer the consquences & no point her saying no-one would know - because I can assure you that companies or private individuals who have had their products registered under Copy Right Laws do find out out - even if its in another country or years away.

And as a matter of fact in an Australian Court where I am now - there is a civil court case going on right now - & reaching as far to the UK & its all to do with private individual breaching "Copy Right Law"

This person in court now stands to loose their own home over this whole matter......

So its up to you & your conscience if you want to breach the laws.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:32 PM

She has alot of nerve asking you to break the law. So you need to have the nerve to tell her NO! Don't let people take advantage of you. If she is truly a friend then she will understand.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:47 PM

One of my "friends" is the same way. I have a couple of clutter bins in which I have a jumble of handouts, downloaded patterns, miscellaneous notes, take one flyers, etc. I've given-up trying the ethical approach with this woman because she just doesn't get it. Now, I say something to the fact that I think it's in one of those bins, I'll try to get to it in my "spare time". She forgets about it. Don't compromise your integrity.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:01 PM

I would tell her I could not share it because of copyright laws, but I would be happy to share any other pattern that I had that was not protected by a copyright clause. Then she can make her choice, another pattern or no pattern.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:42 PM

Tell your "friend" you are not breaking the law!
Old 02-21-2011, 08:20 PM

I agree with np3 I think the straightforward approach is best, it can always be put in a nice way.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:39 PM

Good answer!! I'll try to remember that one.
Why do people expect us to pay for a pattern and them give it them. Which, I think is ok as long as you don't copy the pattern.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by shequilts
A close friend of mine designed and copyrighted a beautiful 12 Days of Christmas BOM. I participated and gladly paid the monthly fee. Like so many exceptional BOMs, it wasn't cheap!
Tonight, a mutual acquaintance of both the designer and me, called to ask if I had made the BOM. I responded that I had. She immediately said, "Oh goody, I'll have to get a copy. It's too expensive to buy."
I was floored! I said, "You know it's copyrighted." She did not back up one inch. She proceeded to try to make a date to come by and get the pattern. I literally made up every excuse in the world why not this week. I have no intention of giving it to her, but don't want a confrontation. I just keep hoping she'll forget about it if I make it inconvenient for her.
I'm so annoyed about this. I know what I'm going to do and I'll end up having to end this relationship.
What would you have done?
(That's just awful that you spilled coffee on it.... I have had those people too, and I am NOT up for a confrontation with them either. I just happen destroy the item in question, and tell where it can be replaced. And no, I won't be buying another, to loan either.) The easiest thing to do, is just not show that person, anymore of your lovely work.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:22 PM

Just remeber how you would be cheating your friend that is the designer if you let your other friend copy. Maybe that will help you stand up to the begger.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:37 AM

You could tell her a little white lie about something that actually happened to me. I had lost a favorite children's hat pattern in the rubble of my sewing area in the basement. One of our kittens had dragged it into a corner and peed on it! Couldn't use that pattern anymore!