Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Was I wrong to be disappointed???

I agree......be happy :D

I can see where that would have hurt your feelings. But, you made it for your friend and she is quite happy ... so it is just fine. Obviously, she likes your work!

I think that she loved the quilt and that's why she wanted to add the ruffle. I would try to not let it bother me too bad. :lol:

I know your first response was disappointment. I would have been too but I guess she wanted something on the bed with ruffles. If you don't have a quilt, like me, a person would have appreciated the work you put in it and accepted, and used it the way you made it. All people are not alike in their thinking and wants and not wants. I wouldn't want a ruffle on a quilt. I like down too earth country look. You know, like I wish I lived in a log cabin in the mountains and had tons of quilts. As some have said at least she asked you too help put a ruffle on the quilt. Bless you for being such a good friend to someone enough to do what you did in making the quilt and then helping too add a ruffle.

Well I could understand this (even though I HATE ruffles!) she wanted to use your quilt and didn't have it shoved in a closet - but up to the point of her comment "Finally beautiful" ... WHAT ??? Now THAT was just plain RUDE and thoughtless :roll:

Blog Entries
    No, you are not wrong in being disappointed. Only other quilter's would understand. Which, I know
    I do.

I agree, some people just don't stop and think before they say any thing.

I'm sure it was just the wording and she thought it was always beautiful. Probably was to hide the bottom part of the bed or underbed. People often don't word things how they meant it. If she didn't like it she wouldn't have wanted the ruffle added.

Blog Entries
    I made a beautiful hand sewn, hand quilted queen size for an Aunt in lilacs to match a newly painted bedroom she had just moved into. Went to visit her a few months later and she had never even bothered to put it on the bed. so at least yours is getting used even if it is now ruffled.

You did a wonderful thing making your friend such a great gift. But you did give it to her. In her mind something was missing. Granted not our taste but now she loves it even more.Once we give our precious quilts away there is no say in what happens to them. good for you for being such a good fiend.

awh you did nothing wrong. She doesnt know what she is talking about. She should of thought before she spoke.

There is no accounting for some people's "taste"!

She could have given it to the Salvation Army......someone did that with a quilt I made for them. I would MUCH RATHER have had her ask me to add a ruffle than do that, so consider yourself honored she asked. Perfection to one is not quite perfection to another, so she simply asked you to "perfect" it. Apparently she values you dearly. :)

Blog Entries
    Every one has different tastes. Sorry her's wasn't the same as yours, but at least you got to help so she didn't ruin the quilt.

Everyone likes different things, and she likes hers with dust ruffles! To each her own. But I know what you are saying, I would pout.

I wouldn't be hurt. I think everyone is different and we all have our likes and dislikes. She did ask you to sew the ruffle on because you are a better seamstress. That was a great compliment!

I understand why you are asking however I would chose not to be hurt. She loves your gift so much that she wants to be able to use it all the time. We each have our own personal style and she is wanting to incorporate your gift into her more girly style. I think it is a hugh compliment.

Not everyone has the same taste. I don't think I'd have had the nerve to ask you to do that, but she must feel comfortable with your friendship to do that (or is completely oblivious to how that might come across). This way you can be assured she will definitely be using your quilt and it won't be stored away in some dark closet.

It always amazes me how people look a gift horse in the face.

Blog Entries
    If she had added a ruffle herself, now THAT would have been bad. She respected you enough to make sure the correct fabric and technique was used on the precious quilt, so that's a good sign. I can see how her comment was hurtful though. It triggered feelings which are not all about the quilt, right? Try to get past it. Your feelings are real but that does not mean your interpretation of what happened is correct.

I sure woud be hurt but if she is your friend, just forgive and forget. You can only do your best. BIG HUGS

I agree with everybody's advice to just not worry about it. She "customized" it to her taste and loves it more now.... I'm not a ruffles person but after 3 grandsons, if I am ever blessed with a granddaughter, I will go "ruffle crazy", at least for a little while since that's what little girls love.....

You know, I've been quilting for a long time (about 40 yrs.) It's my thing. It's what I do. I don't give anyone a quilt unless I have been indoctrinating them for years about the work, time money and joy that I find in this hobby of mine. Hopefully this at least will let them know how special I think they are to receive a quilt. If I know them well enough to give them a gift like that, then I know them well enough to tell them about a matcing bed skirt. Don't feel bad about ruffles at least she is using the quilt as you hoped she would.

I pride myself in thinking I really know my real friends tastes, likes, etc. Several times I have given them gifts that I think are perfect for them. They have given things to me and for one reason or not they just aren't the perfect gifts. I itch if I wear angora, I love I just can't wear it, my friend didn't know that about me. I decided after than if I was making someone something I was sure they would love I asked them first and we've never had an awkard exchange since. It's not a personal slight regarding you quilt, she's just a ruffle person. I'm not...I hope this helps you feel better and you're able to realize it's not you. Just preference...

Blog Entries
    I think/hope it was a "mis-speak"!

IMO - ruffles dont go ON quilts. With, yes. ON, no.

As an Amazon (6'1" ) I can put a dust ruffle between mattress/springs. Not everyone can.

(Nolee - Salvation Army???) :( :shock: :x

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast