Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome Horizon - HELP! >

Janome Horizon - HELP!

Janome Horizon - HELP!

Old 10-16-2011, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Vicki W
I have a Horizon. I have only had my thread break for two reasons, bad/wrong needle or a tiny piece of thread stuck in the machine I love mine.
This was actually shredding. I had done a couple of sandwiches earlier with the same thread and had no problem. Just today it was cranky.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by mamaw
First of all...check and make sure your needle is in correctly; then rethread. I have the Horizon and have never had a thread issue with it. Sounds like it is just user error.
As for sewing, it is just a machine like any other. You can use it as simply as you chose. Your dealer should be willing to help you with any issues you are having if they want to stay in business.
Good luck and hope you can figure out the bugs...it is well worth it!
I know everyone seems to love it and I really want to!
Old 10-16-2011, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by sparkys_mom
Originally Posted by seamstome
I will buy it cheap....my GF works for a Janome dealer and does the lessons!
Are there formal lesson plans that Janome requires? My dealer has been less than forthcoming about this.
That's a good question...I don't know. Bernina requires dealers to give classes. I did receive classes with my Janome but they're a great dealership. I would imagine Janome does require some sort of education with their machines. It may be a question you can start for another thread?
Old 10-16-2011, 04:55 PM

I don't have the Horizon but thread shredding usually means bad
needle...either wrong size or just a bad needle. To check if the needle
is the right size for your thread, hold the needle in your hand and thread
it then hold each end of the thread and see if it slides. If it sticks
you'll know you need a needle with a slightly bigger hole.
Hope you can sort this out. I wouldn't give my business to that dealer again
if he is so unwilling to help.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:55 PM

I'm sorry - I didn't make myself clear about the bobbin. What I should have said was it seems like the thread is coming off the bobbin in the wrong direction. Instead of from the top it is coming from the bottom of the bobbin or vice versa depending on your machine instructions.

If you look at your bobbin like a clock face, the thread end should be at the right of the bobbin at 12:00 position. If it is upside down the thread end would be at the 6:00 position. I know, clear as mud.
Old 10-16-2011, 05:15 PM

If nothing works talk to the dealer. It could be that you need a Low tension bobin case.

Which I do require on my Elna 740, which is made by Janome too and almost the same model.
Old 10-16-2011, 05:44 PM

I have the Horizon and love it.

Some things to try. Use a larger needle -- or even change the needle as there could be a burr. The FMQ foot should be adjusted so it just barely rests on the top of the quilt (no pressure). There are 2 FMQ feet -- you may want to see if there is a difference when you use the open toe or closed toe. Slow down the speed -- it may be that you need to get used to FMQ with the Horizon at a slower speed and then up the speed when you are more comfortable (I still find myself happier going slow).

Here is a link that has some tips:
http://content.janome.com/index.cfm/...otion_Quilting
Old 10-16-2011, 08:06 PM

Don't worry, it happens. I didn't touch my babylock espire for about 6 months for the same reason. Now I love it and can't imagine not having it. I have had it almost 2 years and am still learning new things about it. You will grow with your machine. I still love my little brother though. Just sewed on it yesterday.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:43 PM

A lot of the yahoo groups' msgs has to be approved by the moderators before you can see it, so give it sometime and evetually you will get a lot of responses.
Originally Posted by sparkys_mom
Originally Posted by Maia B
I don't have a Horizon, but I had considered it. Have you joined the free yahoo group? It's a very friendly, helpful, active forum, with a few professional quilters and educators as well. I'm sure they could help. Don't get too discouraged, it's supposed to be a great machine. I hope it starts working smoothly for you soon.
Actually, I posted this exact same message to the Janome Group over two hours ago but the Yahoo Group apparently isn't working for me either as the message has yet to show up. I figured I would at least get some responses here.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:05 PM

I have the Janome 6600P and I use a metallic needle when I FMQ. If I were you I would get out the manual and start at the beginning. Follow it step by step as to how to thread your machine including how to make sure the bobbin is in the proper way. Find a good tutorial on the 'net for FMQ and watch it a couple of times. MOST IMPORTANT thing I can say is RELAX, it is only a sewing machine and soon you will love it. Please don't give up on it, you are already headed in the right direction by asking for help on here. Good luck.