Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome Horizon - HELP! >

Janome Horizon - HELP!

Janome Horizon - HELP!

Old 10-17-2011, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by ka9sdn
Having the bobbin in correctly is very important. Like the one lady said it must come off from the top and like it is coming off counter clockwise and be sure you have it pulled to the back--gives good inst. in the manual. Keep trying it is good.
I agree--perhaps why your machine is working now is that you've "by chance" put the bobbin in correctly. I was taught many years ago to always have the thread "go backwards into the slotted hole on your bobbin case"- which is just another way of stating the counter clockwise noted above. Good luck and keep trying till you get it right! You will be glad you did!
Old 10-17-2011, 07:15 AM

I have read all the girls tips and I agree with the going to the dealer to learn tricks and just plain old working the machine. I didn't sew on my Baby Lock Ellegante Embrodidery machine for months being so afraid of it. They gave free lessons where I bought it and took the bull by the horns and went in for them. WHAT a difference to have just some little things shown to you. I had sewn sense a teeny bopper and thought I could do it alone. NOT true with all the new things a machine can do now days.
One other thing about the thread breaking. Be sure it isn't old thread. I had old thread on wooden spools. Teacher told me to throw any wooden spools away. Yikes. I never throw away so had a lot of them. LOL
Old 10-17-2011, 07:29 AM

I have the Horizon and LOVE it. For FMQ you must have the adjustable foot set so that it just skims the surface. I use a 90/14 topstitch needle.Slow down your speed control. If you are getting the eyelashes on your curves you are most likely going too fast around the curve - slow down. I also quilt with the plate converter closed. Most teachers will tell you that you need to practice, practice, practice and you will get better. Good Luck.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:05 AM

I have the Elna 7200 QDP (half-sister to the Janome MC6500)and all this talk about the Horizon has me itching to upgrade! I love my Elna and I even have a mid-arm quilting system now but I'm still getting machine envy--LOL!

As for being afraid of your machine, I also only had mechanicals until after I started quilting (and made enough money to afford a good computerized machine--LOL). My first computerized machine was a Singer Futura CE-200. I wanted a sewing & embroidery machine and it was the first one I could afford. I got out the manual and went through every single page several times. I setup the embroidery unit and just played with the built in designs. Then I went through every single stitch and played with the widths/lengths on scraps. Then I put it in straight stitch mode and just sewed & sewed & sewed. The teeny tiny throat soon drove me crazy and the credit card was paid off so I started shopping the "new back then" 9" throat machines and finally bought the Elna. I did the same thing with it that I did with the Singer. It does all kinds of fancy stitches and I have tested them but quilting is what I bought it for and that's all I really care about. Hubby keeps annoying me about the buttonholes on both machines and I just hand him the manual--LOL!
Old 10-17-2011, 08:20 AM

I have the horizon and it is a wonderful machine. Just take the time to learn about all the extra's it offers. You will eventually love it. If you can take a lesson with your machine you will will find out about adjustments for thread, special feet, etc. lessons are always a good thing.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:20 AM

I have the horizon and it is a wonderful machine. Just take the time to learn about all the extra's it offers. You will eventually love it. If you can take a lesson with your machine you will will find out about adjustments for thread, special feet, etc. lessons are always a good thing.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:53 AM

Hi; Have had the 7700 for a year and love it. The eyelashes on the back when free motioning come from going too fast in the curves-slow down and try it on a practise sandwich. I asked at my dealer and was told this. Now I slow down a bit around curves and it works out fine.
RLCH
Old 10-17-2011, 09:35 AM

I do feel your pain, I too got a 'big fancy' after using basics for all my sewing life. Three years ago, when I bought the big fancy, I left it in the box for three months before I worked up the courage to open it! I have been using it for basic sewing until Saturday. I had a few hours alone, so I dug out the manual, and decided that I was not going to be beaten by a machine I waited years to own. I called The customer service line, explained what I was doing, and they were kind enough to walk me through how to change stitches, how to use the alphabet, how to use every button on it. We were on the telephone for over an hour! I even figured out how to make it sew sideways! Janome has as good a reputation for customer service, as Brother does, so give them a call. Get a few instructions to play with, then go play. Call again, get a few more instructions, and go play again. You might get lucky like I did, and get a customer service rep who made it her JOB (which it really is, but you know what I mean) to get me comfortable with this "big fancy". I have always wanted to be able to make button holes, (I collect buttons) now I can do it by pushing 1 button. Whoopee! Work at your own pace, and make it YOUR machine. Good Luck dear. :D
Old 10-17-2011, 09:39 AM

regarding this: The machine won't sew if the presser foot isn't down.

When FRQ'ing you guide the fabric around. Do you mean the needle won't work?
Old 10-17-2011, 10:09 AM

You say the bobbins are identical on both sides but you may still be putting it in upside down. The thread goes around to the left. Check your manual.