Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome Horizon - HELP! >

Janome Horizon - HELP!

Janome Horizon - HELP!

Old 10-17-2011, 10:13 AM

1) Why did you want this particular machine? 2) What features did you specifically desire on your new machine? 3) What is the first thing you want to sew with this new machine? Now, look at your manual for the desired things you want to do with your new toy. Sew a quilt? How do you set up the machine for the perfect 1/4" straight seam? Want to embroider a design? Go to the manual and learn the step by step for that. My point is learn just one thing on or about your new machine and go to it. Soon it will all be second nature to you and taking lessons from your dealer may be the place to start. But above all enjoy the learning process.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:57 AM
P-1

The bobbin is identical on both sides, but unwinds in a different direction, depending on which side you put down. If you have it flat, it needs to unwind across the top and come toward you when it goes in. Then thru the little slots and up away from you.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:24 AM

After I got the horizon, I went through the manual page by page and tried everything that was shown. It's not the best manual, but it helped me get familiar with the machine.

If this doesn't help, lug the machine back to the dealer and get some help. The Yahoo group is great but you might find greater benefit in one on one, face to face assistance.

A lot of dealers will also provide help with questions over the phone, particularly if you live a distance.

Finally, maybe the machine just isn't for you. But you won't know until you've gotten some assitance with it.

Good luck.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:29 AM

I think maybe the machine is just intimidating for you. It might be worth the 50 mile trip to learn more about it. Someone posted about their serger --- same thing. Intimidating until you learn to use it.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:52 AM

I also found some instructional videos on line. You can make sure you watch all of those.

The needle shouldn't always stop down, however, unless the little light is on (on the front). The default is "up". (I'd actually prefer down.)

I, too, was afraid at first, to try my machine. But I got over the fear. Haven't tried everything, though...
Old 10-17-2011, 12:22 PM

I have the same machine and i have not done the FMQ and going to to but still same thing trying to get used of my machine and all it can do. I like the 1/4 inch Accufeed foot that i purchased for it for quilting better than the 1/4 foot that came with my machine. Great for piecing and material feed through nice. Would not sew without it . So if you can let me know if you find out the secret to FMP let me know as i want to try it on mine . I had a fast run down on my machine the day i got it and the dealer is there any time i want lessons or ad questions .
Old 10-17-2011, 12:43 PM

If your Horizon is like my Janome 6600, check to be sure you are inserting the bobbin in the correct direction. I didn't sew on the 6600 for six months because I couldn't get the tension to work at all. I even took it back to the dealer and they found nothing wrong with it when they tested it.

It turned out that I was putting the bobbin in with the thread coming out clockwise instead of counter-clockwise. After figuring that out, I never had another problem. Such a simple thing, but caused a big problem. Check your manual to see which way the bobbin should be put in....just in case it's a simple thing like that.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by P-1
The bobbin is identical on both sides, but unwinds in a different direction, depending on which side you put down. If you have it flat, it needs to unwind across the top and come toward you when it goes in. Then thru the little slots and up away from you.
I don't think of it as upside down. More like backwards to my way of thinking. I have to look at the picture on the cover of my drop-in bobbin every time. I'm not kidding! I've had the machine for 6 years but I double check that picture every time. I can put in a vertical bobbin blindfolded and I rarely use my machines that take that style but I guess since that's what I learned on--that's what is stuck in my head so the drop-in style hasn't stuck yet--LOL.

Also, about the "it won't sew if the presser foot is up" issue someone asked about. It's a feature in many of the computerized machines. If you don't put the presser foot lever down--it just beeps at you. Mine also shows a picture on the LCD that says Lower Presser Foot and even a little picture of it being lowered. I often feel like it is laughing at me when this happens!
Old 10-17-2011, 01:40 PM
Power Poster

When all else fails - go back to your dealer for some informational visits to straighten things out. It might just be one small thing that you are doing that could make all the difference. They sold it to you, they should have made sure you knew how to operate it correctly and efficiently. Good luck.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:54 PM

I'm sorry you're having those problems. I had a machine once that so intimidated me so I understand what you mean. But, if you bought it from a dealer can't you take it back and get some instruction on it? I hear they are great machines. Good luck.
Angela