Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome Horizon - HELP! >

Janome Horizon - HELP!

Janome Horizon - HELP!

Old 10-17-2011, 12:51 AM

Be patient...it will come. I don't have the Horizon, but, the 6600 instead. I was intimadated by the machine as well. I had never owned an expensive machine, let alone a computerized one. It sat silent for about 6 weeks and one day I just went to it. I didn't read the manual, and didn't take classes, but, I don't prewash fabric either(LOL). Now maybe I haven't used the machine to it's fullest potential ( I have never made a buttonhole with it) but it pieces like a dream, FMQ without too many hiccups and the Accufeed for quilting is awesome. As far as classes, if he is a reputable Janome dealer, they have to take classes for the machines they sell and that's usually atleast twice a year(here in Canada anyway) So, be patient and explore your machines' possibilities...but most of all...relax and have fun.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:51 AM

I feel your pain as well, except my extravagant machine is a Bernina 820, not a Horizon. It's so saturated with great features, that I feel guilty just using it for piecing and quilting, but that's what I've been doing with it. I tried the fancy lettering, which worked fine, and tried the BSR, which I don't care for (one of the main reasons I bought the machine). I don't like feeling out of control while the BSR determines how fast my machine should be stitching. Maybe if I had never FMQ before using the BSR, I'd feel differently. Anyway, just thought I would let you know you aren't alone when it comes to not using your machine's many features. I commend you for sticking with the FMQ, because I know how frustrating it can be. I just finished FMQ my first "meandering" quilt, and it took me forever. I must admit, it was worth the effort. I gave the quilt to a friend who found out she has breast cancer, and I felt good about giving it to her. :) Enjoy your Horizon!
Old 10-17-2011, 03:14 AM

I'd check to make sure that I've put my foot all the way down. I've done this and its taken me a while to figure out why all the foolishness was happening. :O Then came the DUH!!!! When I FMQ I put my feed dogs down. Leah Day admits that she doesn't do things according to how the manf. has instructed and she is not responisble for any damage caused to your machine by using her method. I don't think I'd take the chance and maybe voiding a warranty for miss use. I'd follow what the manf. has suggested.

I have a 6600, but very similiar to the 7700.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:10 AM

Having the bobbin in correctly is very important. Like the one lady said it must come off from the top and like it is coming off counter clockwise and be sure you have it pulled to the back--gives good inst. in the manual. Keep trying it is good.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:40 AM

Go back to your dealer for a lesson. I bought my Horizon a year ago and truly love it. Best machine I've ever had. I haven't explored all of the things it can do, but I will eventually get there. My dealer has a once a month quilt class where we are making a block or two a month and each month we use different stitches, etc. on our machines. It has taught me so much about my "Big Red". Be sure and read your manual -- I go back to it often and it's amazing how much it helps.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:03 AM

Thread fraying is sometimes the fault of the needle. Try using a topstitch needle size 14. The eye on it is larger.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:15 AM

I have a Horizen and was intimidated with it as well - took me about 3 weeks before I actually used it. Had some problems at first as well.
Here are a few things I have learned:
1. bobbins work best if they are only about 2/3 full
2. need to use Janome bobbins ONLY
3. I do this everytime I change fabric: take out my practice sndwich - change the tension on the top to 3 - sew a few stitches - change it to AUTO and then sew a few stitches - and then - magic !! no eyelashes.
4. At the advise of the dealer I take the foot plate off and clean after EACH project and also replace the needle after each prject.
Now I rarely have a problem
Hope that helps. . . My dealer has lessons for life !!
Old 10-17-2011, 05:46 AM

Ooooh, I'm having a serious busybody moment .... I want to sit at your Horizon and play with it and see if I can get it to work right. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to play with new machines. It's too bad you live so far away or I'd be knocking on your door! The more complicated and more features, the more fun it is.

We all seem to be assuming your problems stem from something minor, like a bad needle, ornery bobbin, whatever, but there is the possibility that there really is something wrong with the machine.

My advice: Turn the machine off, take a coffee/tea break, get calm and come back to the machine and start all over again ... new needle, new bobbin, re-thread the machine, drop the feeddogs for FMQ ... and just pretend for a while that this machine has not been making you crazy.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:53 AM

I have had my Horizon for about 16 months, and despite a few glitches (two motherboard replacements!), I love it.

Topstitch needles are essential IMHO, especially with the King Tut thread. It is one of my favorite threads and for a while there I thought I would never get it to work with this machine!

Try loosening the top tension, I find I have to do it trial and error with every project. I always make practice sandwiches using the same fabric/batting.

Really, it will get better!
Old 10-17-2011, 06:00 AM

One other thing that noone else has mentioned is the batting and the thread. What kind of batting are you using and what kind of thread? If you are using a batting that has a scrim or any amount of polyester batting and using a cotton thread you will have a nightmare. The poly batting acts like sandpaper on the thread and causes it to shred and break. Also if you have eyelash problems on the back are they on the curves only or even when you go straight? If they are only on the curves slow down on the curves. It is like driving around a hairpin curve with your car you want to slow down. Also if you are changing directions you will want to stop and hover for a second or two. You will find that you will have improved stitch quality over all.