Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome Horizon - HELP! >

Janome Horizon - HELP!

Janome Horizon - HELP!

Old 10-17-2011, 02:54 PM

I'm sorry you're having those problems. I had a machine once that so intimidated me so I understand what you mean. But, if you bought it from a dealer can't you take it back and get some instruction on it? I hear they are great machines. Good luck.
Angela
Old 10-17-2011, 03:00 PM

I have this machine and I agree it can be a bit over- whelming. You aren't turning the knob on the side to lower the needle are you?? My machine JUST hates that when I did it at first. I haven't tried FMQ but I have read somewhere if you have trouble it might be you need a different bobbin case. Why, I do not know. I love my different stitches and I will never used the buttonholder either, but my DC2010 had it also. Relax and do not let it get the better on you.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by sparkys_mom
the back is eyelashing like crazy and the thread seems to fray and break a lot
Eyelashing...you are moving the quilt too quickly and/or your top tension is too loose.

Thread fray and break...you are not using the right kind of thread. I only quilt on a longarm, but I know that quilting stresses the thread and you need to use an extra-long staple cotton (I use Superior Threads King Tut) and you will have much more success.

I admire anyone who can quilt on anything but a longarm - hurts my shoulders when I've tried to quilt on my DSM.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:49 PM

I wish you lived closer..I had the same issues at first...took me a few months...now I love it!!
Originally Posted by sparkys_mom
Okay, I admit it! I am thoroughly intimidated by my Horizon!! I've had it for three months and barely touched it. I keep coming up with reasons why I can't use it "right now". Prior to this purchase, I was using a very simple and straightforward Brother. I find myself wishing the 7700 didn't have all those feet and stitches and would just stick to what I wanted it for - the huge throat, piecing, and quilting. I do not now or EVER want to make buttonholes.

Today, I finally made up my mind I have to overcome this. I have done a few sandwiches to practice FMQ and that's improved a little bit but today, I decided to move forward with a small quilt that is ready to go. So I did a little practice run and then I put in thread and bobbin suitable for the quilt and started another practice run - the back is eyelashing like crazy. I rethreaded the machine (BTW the thread seems to fray and break a lot) and reloaded the bobbin. Same thing. I have done it three times now and am ready to cry in frustration.

I have used Leah Day's suggestion on machine settings - which is to use the Supreme Slider, leave the feed dogs alone, D1 setting, Stitch Length 0, QVH Foot, and Needle Down. And that's another thing - for awhile the needle always stopped in the down position - now sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't.

It's probably pilot error here but I'm ready to start making boat anchors rather than quilts.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:52 PM

I found the gene washer helped me alot...and use a quilters needle. Thread type..I use Gutterman with really good luck. Once you get the hang of it you will love it!! Make sure that your bottom thread is pulled to the top...that is very important. these videos do help. I was threading mine wrong...LOL http://content.janome.com/index.cfm/...sory_Tutorials
Old 10-17-2011, 04:30 PM

I have had the Horizon for about 2 months, and I jumped from a very basic, 25-year-old White with 13 stitches to the Horizon. I didn't try FMQ for a few weeks, opting instead to "playing" with the different stitches and piecing with it. Hang in there. When I did try to FMQ, I loved it. I leave the feed dogs up, and I don't use a Supreme Slider, but do use the D1S stitch. Did you go through the automatic plate converter steps? I have had a few thread snarls, but after cleaning out the bobbin case, it was fine. Make sure your bobbin thread is coming out counter-clockwise. My tension is at 7. (I don't mess with that much). I find I really only use the 1/4" foot, the QVH foot, and the A foot. I may use some of the others when I make the draperies for our bedroom, but not sure yet.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:06 PM

Did you machine come with owner classes. Our store offers free lessons as many times as you want to take them. I took my owners classes twice for both of my machines.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:43 PM

I have a Horizon and love it, no problems so far. My old machine had the problem of making a rats nest underneath. They blamed it on improper threading, metal bobbin, or foot not down. I only had it for 20 yrs, so I thought I had this all down. I did find that sometimes it was not catching on the hook inside, where it runs thru the tension. Put the foot down, and pull the thread to see if it is pulling smoothly.

Or call your Janome man, someone there should be able to help you. My dealer told me I could come in anytime for a one on one. They told me to go home and get the basics and then come back for hands on with them.

I love the little man that hides behind the bobbin and cuts my thread.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:27 AM

I love the little man that hides behind the bobbin and cuts my thread.[/quote]

He's a Keeper!!!!
Old 10-18-2011, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by scrappylady
I love the little man that hides behind the bobbin and cuts my thread.
He's a Keeper!!!!
Hands off!! I've asked him to marry me. :)