Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
JoAnns honoring other stores coupons >

JoAnns honoring other stores coupons

JoAnns honoring other stores coupons

Old 07-09-2011, 11:02 AM

After reading all of ya'll complaints about Joann's personel, I should give all of the girls at our Joann's a big hug evry time I go in there. They are always very helpful, always let you if the fabric they are cutting is on sale, always offer you the end of bolt price and they will let you use all of the Joann's coupons you want to use as long as you don't paying for each coupon purchase seperately. I know that our girls at our store have a bunch of rules they have to go by that seem to be a bit ridgid to me. Like they can't have a fan at the checkout stand for comfort even if it is their own fan. Our store has cut A/C way back and it isn't as comfortable to shop (hence the fan) They don't get a discount on fabric they buy unless they have a coupon. We do have the same people working there that have been there for years tho. It has been so hot here, in the 100's for the last couple of weeks. I've been staying home under the A/C unless I just have to go out. Saving money by staying out of the fabric stores. The last time I went to my closest Wal-Mart I needed to pick up a gift for my secret pal at quilt guild so I went to the crafts section. They didn't even have precut fabric. They had no sewing stuff at all. No gift from there. Guess I will have to shop my stash for a gift.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:20 AM

I read somewhere where you can download an app for your Droid for JoAnns. Does anyone know if this is a free app and how would you go about doing it. I understood that once you have this app you can then go to the JoAnns store show them the online coupon (from your Droid etc.) and then they will take the code # and allow you to use it for your purchase. Correct me if I'm wrong. Sounds like a good thing to me. Thanks for any help on this subject.
Linda from Clinton
Old 07-09-2011, 01:04 PM

Dr. Granny, I agree, the staff is wonderful...overworked and underpaid. I don't know anything about droids but I have heard that sort of couponing is available for other stores...its the future.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:12 PM

We don't have any other chain fabric stores so I don't know if ours would take them but they are really strict about their own coupons. It really gets confusing and angers a lot of people. Don't know why they can not come up with a simplier way to do business.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by emsgranny
I finall tried this at our JoAnns in Jefferson City - unfortunately its just not true - at least not at this store - I had a 40% Hobby Lobby, 40% JoAnns 40% Michaels plus a michaels for 20% off entire purchase including sales items.

They wouldnt take the 20% but would give me a 15% (why I am not sure) the only 40% they wanted to give me was theirs - they said unless it specifies that fabric or item (the other store has to carry same fabric according to them) Of course they did end up giving me one of them but kept all my coupons!!!

All this was explained to me, when I took my items back the next day because I had bought some red tag items that rang up at the normal price not the 50% off they were on sale for - also they had charged me full price on an end of bolt fabric. When I mentioned that they didnt give me all three coupons they said they should have only honored the one from them - I told them its false advertising (I didnt make any friends that day lol) I returned the piece of regular priced fabric that I felt should have had the 40% off and she wanted to know why - well I said (while picking up one of their flyers off the desk) why would I pay full price today when I can come in on saturday and get 50% off!!! Told her she wouldnt have to do it if she honored the 40% (didnt want to have to go in again for awhile) but she refused.,

When I got home I called a nearby store - 35 miles away - and explained to them what I had - they said they would honor the coupons as stated in their advertisements - we shall see - I may go in tonite since my coupons expire tonite.

I appreciate you letting me vent - has anyone else had this problem before?
Not with other stores coupons but they have recently raised prices on many cotton fabrics and batting, I went to check out with a 50%coupon for batting tagged for queen at $29.95, it rang at 34.95 with 50% off so I called the manager, and he didnt even check the rack just authorized the 29.95 with 50% off, when theres a problem, always ask for the manager!! :-)
Old 07-09-2011, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by needlequilt
I have had the sames problem at that very store, they do not even want to take my joanns vip card for 10 percent off half the time, I will travel to St. Louis and have better luck at the hancocks on manchester rd or kirkwood store of hancocks. joanns does not seem to have the quilting fabric quality they used to either
Joanns will not take the vip card on anything with a coupon, but will on everything else including items they have on sale. I shop there a lot because the lqs are too pricey, walmarts has fabric but not what I usually want. Of course they wont take a coupon off on anything thats on sale, so Ive learned to be very careful if they are running sales, and when arent they? :D
Old 07-10-2011, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Steady Stiching
Originally Posted by Val in IN
I personally really dislike JoAnn's coupon policy. I really think they are scamming. I only go there if I really can't find what I need anywhere else and I don't have time to order on line. I am no fabric snob, but if we don't start supporting our LQS's, before too long we won't have them. Even if I only buy notions or fat quarters or take a class, it helps keep them in business. You also get better service. Try getting advice from an employee at JoAnns. Most of them don't even sew.
Joanns batiks are more expensive than the LQS and their legacy brand is just as expensive as Moda, granted the quality of the Legacy brand is better than much of what they have I dont think it is as good as say Moda or TT, SSImports. But it costs just as much...I just always leave Joanns feeling like there is some conspiricy at work there.
I agree...I often feel like things are not on the up and up when I am at the register at Joann's...at least not at the Superstore. In Fort Worth, there is still in business one of the much, much smaller Joann's with mostly fabric and very little crafts. The girls there are very helpful, and I have had, on more than one occasion, the cashiers ring up my purchases separately so I could use multiple coupons. She has done this even with a line standing there...she just wanted me to get the best deals I could...and since there was a line, I find it hard to believe that I was an exception rather than the rule. When I can, I give that Joann's my business....and cringe when I have to go to the bigger one.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by threadsdmr
Try and use the bathroom in a JoAnns. I have been told it is not a public bathroom.
We were from out of town when that happened.
yea...I thought the law, as in city codes, requires all retail business to have a public restroom. But many of the stores I have been to, not just Joann's, doesn't have one. Now I could see it if the store was a very small mom and pop operation...but a Joann's??? Since most of those stores now qualify as "superstores" it's insane that they don't have a public restroom. And especially a store that usually has more women than men shopping at it.

Sorry for the double posts, but I just had to respond to this comment!!!! :wink:
Old 07-10-2011, 08:14 AM

Our Joann's does have a restroom and as far as I know it is a public one. However, Hancocks tried having a public one and then they later put u p a sign saying no public restroom. Then they changed it again so you had to ask the cashier for the key. I pretty much don't shop anywhere there isn't a restroom. I can't shop and need to go. I only go to the Mall when there is something I need that I can't find anywhere else, but I know where the restrooms are. Thank goodness the fabric shops are not in the Mall tho cause the RRs are few and far between.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by drgranny
After reading all of ya'll complaints about Joann's personel, I should give all of the girls at our Joann's a big hug evry time I go in there. They are always very helpful, always let you if the fabric they are cutting is on sale, always offer you the end of bolt price and they will let you use all of the Joann's coupons you want to use as long as you don't paying for each coupon purchase seperately. I know that our girls at our store have a bunch of rules they have to go by that seem to be a bit ridgid to me. Like they can't have a fan at the checkout stand for comfort even if it is their own fan. Our store has cut A/C way back and it isn't as comfortable to shop (hence the fan) They don't get a discount on fabric they buy unless they have a coupon. We do have the same people working there that have been there for years tho. It has been so hot here, in the 100's for the last couple of weeks. I've been staying home under the A/C unless I just have to go out. Saving money by staying out of the fabric stores. The last time I went to my closest Wal-Mart I needed to pick up a gift for my secret pal at quilt guild so I went to the crafts section. They didn't even have precut fabric. They had no sewing stuff at all. No gift from there. Guess I will have to shop my stash for a gift.
I am soo glad you have a great store and great people to work with-It gives me some hope.

Just to let you know I did go to columbia and they took 3 of my hobby lobby coupons on my fabric - They were all different resourses so they werent the same code-Hobby lobby will only allow one coupon per day per customer - they wont let you use two transactions -at least not here!! I had talked with the manager at the JoAnns and asked her before I went through all the trouble of picking out my fabric lol It was a very pleasant experience. I will now make the extra trip to Columbia especially on their big sales!!!

I wont even go to the topic of public restrooms - I too frequently need restrooms. I have seen my share of public restrooms lol I am kinda on the fence about it - I have seen the condition that some of the patrons leave a restroom - makes you wonder what theirs at home may look like lol