Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
looking for feedback... >

looking for feedback...

looking for feedback...

Old 04-04-2011, 08:04 AM

I am a breast cancer survivor....10 yrs now. Yeah!!! I have mixed feelings about it....on the one hand, I like for everyone to know that I am a survivor, but on the other hand, I don't want any reminders either. It's like a big black cloud hanging over your head anyway!! If it were me, I'd use something else for the backing, and let her decide if she wants to portray being a survivor in her own way....she might eventually like to wear the pink pin, or a T-shirt, etc. Just my thoughts.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:12 AM

I am givin my sister her quilt today...here a picture of the quilt and the backing I ended up with. Thank you for all of your inputs. I am sure she will Love it!! I can't wait to give it to her...so far its my favorite quilt!

My sister's quilt...if Stella will let her have it.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]182067[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-182061.jpe  
Old 04-10-2011, 02:52 AM

looks perfect! love the butterflies
Old 04-10-2011, 04:52 AM

Great job, Carol-I'm sure she'll love it and appreciate all the love and thought you put into it. I see your quilt inspector also approves!
Old 04-10-2011, 07:31 AM
Power Poster

This is a difficult decision to make. I have made several quilts for donation to the cause for fighting this disease and did use pink ribbon fabric but only sparingly ( one background block). I always want people to be known for being who they are not what they are suffering though. It is to easy to become the disease. Best wishes to all who are dealing with this. You have a good natured husband.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:47 AM

i love the butterfly background. there is pink in there, as a tribute, but not as a negative reminder. and i love that butterflies are symbolic of new life, metamorphosis, becoming new, and breaking free.

this is lovely!
Old 04-10-2011, 12:10 PM

I am not ashaned I am a BC survivor. And I would like everyone to know how very important it is to do self exams and the mammograms yearly. If I have to wear 10-50 pink ribbons to remind others to do this, I will. And I stand with my sisters who went through this. We survived!! The sad thing is the very high percentage of those who went through this. And we stand up to BC to find a cause and better cures.

Originally Posted by ube quilting
This is a difficult decision to make. I have made several quilts for donation to the cause for fighting this disease and did use pink ribbon fabric but only sparingly ( one background block). I always want people to be known for being who they are not what they are suffering though. It is to easy to become the disease. Best wishes to all who are dealing with this. You have a good natured husband.
Old 04-10-2011, 01:29 PM

Marla congrats to you-thanks for sharing this with us. BC strikes too often and too close to home. Please, please keep encouraging mammograms.

As a nurse and as a woman: get those mammograms when they're due; not tomorrow, not when "I'm not so busy". Now please! If you need to be reminded, schedule it for your birthday; there's no excuse to forget it then.
Old 04-10-2011, 01:48 PM

Thank you Jan,
I am so happy to hear others stand up to BC. We need to fight it. Not sure if the foods we eat (nitrates and other additives ;could also be contributors. Our eco system is bad, air polution, etc. We need to be mindful of this, recycle the plastic and try to use containers w/o BPA?, try to eat less processed foods, etc. We have to do our research cuz government is not always policing our food sources. They had lifted the bans on dumping into our waters. Not sure if they tightened this up.
Everyone take care of what you can control.
Love, Marla

Originally Posted by janRN
Marla congrats to you-thanks for sharing this with us. BC strikes too often and too close to home. Please, please keep encouraging mammograms.

As a nurse and as a woman: get those mammograms when they're due; not tomorrow, not when "I'm not so busy". Now please! If you need to be reminded, schedule it for your birthday; there's no excuse to forget it then.
Old 04-10-2011, 01:54 PM

Love the butterflies. I think you picked the perfect backing and she will love it.