Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
looking for feedback... >

looking for feedback...

looking for feedback...

Old 03-08-2011, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by carolaug
I am struggling with a quilt that I am making....my sister is battling breast cancer and I also lost another sister a few years ago (cancer) My sister is in remission and hopefully its not coming back...she is very private with this...anyways I am making her a quilt. The top is done and I bought flannel backing with small pink ribbons. My husband thinks this is a terrible idea...for anyone out there that has battled cancer. What are your thoughts??? Should I use the flannel backing with the pink ribbons or would that be a constant reminder of the horrible ordeal she has gone through as my husband suggests? Thoughts??? When I emailed my folks I mentioned it and my husbands concern...when they emailed me back they did not mention it...now I am starting to think I am doing the wrong thing.
I am a breat cancer survivor 11 years this May and I made myself a fleece one & I love it.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by happyscrappy
of all the people i know who have gone through this terrible ordeal, the most of them think the ribbon thing is way over done and think it is a big joke. i believe the original intention was to draw "awareness" to the disease, and the cancer victims do not need additional awareness, so to speak. maybe she does not need a "reminder" of her cancer. something to think about. she will treasure your beautiful thoughts of her either way.
I thoroughly agree here. I had a mastectomy due to breast cancer a year ago. Have gone through all the chemo & treatments & I can honestly say I cringe when I see those ribbons. I won't go into it all, but I'm trying to move on one day at a time.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:05 PM

I am just going to reply and not read the full 8 pages. Having had 2 kinds of cancer, gotta say that I dispise the ribbon thing. If it were me giving I'd pass on it, if it were me receiving I'd not want it on my quilt.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:05 PM

I am a breast cancer survivor, and I agree with the others who said the ribbon "thing" has been overdone. I just wanted to be "normal" again and not think about cancer 24/7. When I was going through chemo my husband began buying a brand of ice cream that had pink ribbons on it. I told him that when I want to eat ice cream I DO NOT want to be reminded that I have cancer! So my daughter got in on it and bought me a nice ice cream scoop...you guessed it...in pink with a Komen tag on it. I am appreciative and grateful for all those who have worked to raise money for a cure, but let this poor woman enjoy a new quilt with a floral backing, not a "survivor" backing. I hope I have not offended anyone who has helped to raise awareness or to raise funds...just my opinion that we all simply want to feel normal again.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:04 PM

I am a survivor of BC and believe the journey should be shared to educate others in keeping on top of their exams. You don't forget you had this disease which scars your body and sole. Yet we can rejoice that we have been spared as we still have a mission here on this earth to help others in some way. God bless you for doing this and may God bless your sister too.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:09 PM
Power Poster

seasaw2mch - sorry to hear of your diagnosis. Do you know what treatment was recommended for you? I understand your trepidation to put your body through"all that" but some of the treatments are relatively gentle, as I can tell you from personal experience.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:16 PM

I am so sorry that you have BC. It is not fun. It is very scary and I only wish their were other ways to treat w/o surgery. So many women have gone through this too. When we get the diagnosis, our hope is that it hasn't metasisized to other areas. Perhaps yours is not aggressive. I hope not and that you are able to live a long life, leaving a great leagacy of the quilt world's love. May God bless you and give you the wisdom to make the right choice.
Prayers for you. Marla

Originally Posted by seasaw2mch
ok you ask so here goes, hope I don't offend anyone.

I have breast cancer and I refuse to have the doctors touch me. They are nuts as far as I'm concerned. They want to cut you up piece by piece then hit you up with drugs that are so toxic that your body's own immune system can't help itself. I personally think the whole pink ribbon thing is a horrible joke that only sucks money from innocent people who are so ill their only hope is some miracle because their bodies are pushed to the edge of death from the treatments received from the medical doctors.

I have had my cancer for over a year now and I'm not sick or hurting. I'm not going to say I will live another year or another month because I don't know how long I will live, only God knows for sure but what I can say is this. I will not die believing in the lies or going through the tourer that the pharmaceutical companies or the medical doctors have to offer. When I finally go it will be because my body has done it's best and it wasn't enough. We are not in this world to live forever but to live the best we can with what time we have and to enjoy every minute and not harm others.

As far as the Pink Ribbon backing, if she feels like I do then she will except it and never say a word because she will know you meant well but at the same time she will not use it but put it in a safe place because it will remind her of your thoughtfulness and for that she would appreciate it.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:29 PM

I have made 2 quilts that have been auctioned for the Susan B Komen Race for the Cure that we have here in Arkansas. One sold for $4200 & the other one for almost $10,000. I am working on one for this years auction made from Race for the Cure T-shirts for the years of 2001 thru 2010.It is a priviledge to do this!!People are so different in their feelings on this subject but if it were me I would be SO proud to be a survivor/ But I also respect others privacy issues. God Bless all
Old 03-08-2011, 05:32 PM

Thank you, Thank you!!! You all are wonderful as always and have really opened my eyes on others feelings and how we all can take the same item but it means different things to all. After reading through all of your wonderful responses I have decided on the floral backing. You all have really help me with this decision and I hope it has helped others. I will be donating the material not sure where...maybe the local breast cancer group where they sell items to others to make money. Now when I look at the material it makes me sad...I do not want to remember my sisters as the disease...and you know with not even relizing it that is what it has done,
Old 03-08-2011, 05:40 PM

[quote=seasaw2mch]

I wish you well and pray you will have a long life...however, as a 10 year survivor, I can tell you that the surgery, chemo and radiation, while not pleasant, saved my life. The fact that you don't feel sick right now does not mean that you are well. PLEASE, please listen to the options that science and medicine have to offer you. I would hate to see your life cut short when there are so many choices available to you. There is a 97.5% survival rate at 5 years with treatment of Stage 1 BC. Please don't let your situation get to Stage 4. If you don't like or trust the doctors you have met, please search for other doctors or another hospital. There are many good and caring professionals out there. I know...they saved my life!