Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
looking for feedback... >

looking for feedback...

looking for feedback...

Old 03-07-2011, 07:50 PM

I will keep your family in my prayers. Making the quilt will be good thearpy for you and your daughter.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:52 PM

I am a two time cancer survivor and I would like this, except that I had lymphoma - and I've felt that there is too much emphasis on the PINK ribbons when there are so many other types of cancer. The lymphoma ribbon is lime green and I am proud to recognized as a survivor. My daughter had a pep rally for me when I was going to Mayo Clinic last summer and everyone wore lime green and got lime green ribbons. However - if you are having second thoughts, it might be wise to go with something different. Maybe she doesn't want to think about it.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by janRN
I say go with your gut feelings. You obviously have some doubts. Listen to your "inner angel" and you'll do the right thing. She's lucky to have you for a sister-you care so much.
I agree with janRN. Go with your gut feelings. If in doubt don't use the ribbon material. If you have purchased it already why not make some lap quilts to donate to the local cancer treatment center, cancer society or hospice to use. You could give it in memory of the sister you lost from you and your surviving sister.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:07 PM

I battled with BC a few years ago. Luckily I've been clean for 7 years. Funny thing is, you don't need reminders. It's never far from your thoughts. My daughter had a bi lateral 2 years ago. I don't think she'll forget either. My youngest daughter sent us both quilts. Mine is on my bed now. I guess what I'm trying to say is you don't need reminders of something like this. You just never forget. I'm sorry for her struggle and that of your families.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by psychonurse
I have never had any type of cancer. Thank you for showing your love for your sister and go with your heart feelings.
I hate all the "pink" things they have for breast awareness.
I had a good friend who at age 38 died from breast cancer
10 yrs ago. Not any of those pink purchases helped her
pay her utilities, mortgage etc, and put food on her table with young children at home.
JMO
There is a group of pink angels that DID help my daughter. They paid her rent, utilities and groceries until she could get back to work.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:58 PM

I was diagnosed a year ago with breast cancer. I had surgery and so far so good. My sewing lanyard has pink ribbons and so do my little sissors that hang on it. I have ribbon jewelry also. If your sisters prognosis is good I would use the back. If she is still undergoing treatment it probably wouln't be a comforting cover up.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:53 AM

Every time the pink ribbon fabric is bought,the same amout goes into cancer research by the manufactors. Use as much as you can afford. A cancer survivor so far. Jo
Old 03-08-2011, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by carolaug
I am struggling with a quilt that I am making....my sister is battling breast cancer and I also lost another sister a few years ago (cancer) My sister is in remission and hopefully its not coming back...she is very private with this...anyways I am making her a quilt. The top is done and I bought flannel backing with small pink ribbons. My husband thinks this is a terrible idea...for anyone out there that has battled cancer. What are your thoughts??? Should I use the flannel backing with the pink ribbons or would that be a constant reminder of the horrible ordeal she has gone through as my husband suggests? Thoughts??? When I emailed my folks I mentioned it and my husbands concern...when they emailed me back they did not mention it...now I am starting to think I am doing the wrong thing.
I lost my husband to cancer, & I don't even like to see that fabric.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:54 AM

seasaw2mch, I'm sorry to hear that you're refusing treatment, as cancer treatment, however unpleasant it may be, drastically increases your chances of leading a long and healthy life, and indeed many of us on this board owe our lives to doctors, but I'm sure you know that already and don't need some stranger on the internet telling you that.

I will say that my mother has done a lot of work with cancer charities, and the money absolutely is going to help people with cancer. It isn't funnelled straight to cancer patients, it goes on things like research, medical care, support services and so forth. My mother personally managed a legacy that she made sure was used to increase lymphoedema treatment, as when she had cancer twenty years ago they basically just treated the cancer, knew nothing about lymphoedema, and often left patients in quite a bad way. She's had more brushes with death than I can count by now because of the lymphoedema, though she's still very thankful that the cancer treatment saved her life. She also received some incredible services from local cancer charities.

Of course, not all of the money goes to this, some of it has to go to the people working for the charity. My partner works with a major charity and let me assure you, they are by no means wasting too much money on paying their staff. If anything, it's the other way around and sometimes verges on slave labour!

And I know it's hard when you're ill and broke and people ask you to give money to charity, but they're not actually trying to squeeze money out of people who are ill and impoverished, they're making general appeals. Charities make most of their money from very wealthy people, as far as I'm aware, whether it's by donation or legacy.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:09 AM

I am a BC survivor. The only place I talk about it is in my BC support group. I go there to support the newbies, because it was such a great help to me when I was just out of chemo. If your sister doesn't want to talk about it, she probably doesn't want reminders of it. Unless you feel comfortable enough to ask her about the backing, don't use it. If one were given to me, I would say thank you and never use it.