Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
looking for feedback... >

looking for feedback...

looking for feedback...

Old 03-08-2011, 05:43 PM

Thank you for responding. I thought that was exactly what the pink ribbons represented and frequently buy things that support it.
i don't have an answer to the question about your sister. Every one is different, maybe asking her would be best.
Originally Posted by quiltsillysandi
I am a 16 year breast cancer survivor and those pink ribbons represent HOPE..and CURE...and FAITH....and SUPPORT....and I know that I am a part of a group of women and men, that I've never met, where there's an unspoken bond.....Bring on the PINK......I am thankful for every pink ribbon I see...

People handle things differently, so knowing your sister is a very private person, and having lost one sister (of which I'm so very sorry), If you are unsure, maybe you could ask your sister how she would feel about it...

Wishing you both the very best...Stay positive and keep the faith......

San
FL
Old 03-08-2011, 05:48 PM

At he cnacer centers, they have throws for the patients. I am sure they would appriciate it if you could make a simple throw to donate. Sometimes your so scared, your not sure if your cold or if it's nerves.Those throws really come in handy.I have never seen items for sale anywhere, but they give comfort kits to the patients.
Hugs. Marla

Originally Posted by carolaug
Thank you, Thank you!!! You all are wonderful as always and have really opened my eyes on others feelings and how we all can take the same item but it means different things to all. After reading through all of your wonderful responses I have decided on the floral backing. You all have really help me with this decision and I hope it has helped others. I will be donating the material not sure where...maybe the local breast cancer group where they sell items to others to make money. Now when I look at the material it makes me sad...I do not want to remember my sisters as the disease...and you know with not even relizing it that is what it has done,
Old 03-09-2011, 06:58 AM

I think it will be a beautiful, appreciated gift!
Old 03-09-2011, 09:58 AM

My thought... Can you put one block on the front that is a a suttle reminder of breast cancer? Also, I would skip the breast cancer backing fabric and use something else... But do make a special label on the back of the quilt stating for whom you made the quilt and that you are so proud of her for fighting cancer, putting it in your own words. All the best, Annette in Florida
Old 03-09-2011, 11:01 AM

Speaking as a cancer patient, I am in remission at present. It has come back several times. It is never easy and the family and friends support is so helpful. I count my blessings every day. I now make caner quilts for people at the oncology center and where I hear of them. Knowing someone cares and is thinking about you is so up lifting. You making her the quilt will mean more than you know. Best of Luck to both of you.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:54 AM

Like with many other things, when in doubt, don't.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by happyscrappy
of all the people i know who have gone through this terrible ordeal, the most of them think the ribbon thing is way over done and think it is a big joke. i believe the original intention was to draw "awareness" to the disease, and the cancer victims do not need additional awareness, so to speak. maybe she does not need a "reminder" of her cancer. something to think about. she will treasure your beautiful thoughts of her either way.
Why don't you ask you sister what she thinks about it. Even if she is private about it she will be able to let you know how SHE feels.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:41 PM

No...its a surprise...we do not give gifts every year just here and there...this will be a birthday gift from me which will be a total surprise.
Originally Posted by Annya
Originally Posted by happyscrappy
of all the people i know who have gone through this terrible ordeal, the most of them think the ribbon thing is way over done and think it is a big joke. i believe the original intention was to draw "awareness" to the disease, and the cancer victims do not need additional awareness, so to speak. maybe she does not need a "reminder" of her cancer. something to think about. she will treasure your beautiful thoughts of her either way.
Why don't you ask you sister what she thinks about it. Even if she is private about it she will be able to let you know how SHE feels.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by EIQuilter
I'd just ask her. You say she's been very private about her situation - that makes me think she wouldn't want to have the pink ribbons as a constant reminder of what might lay ahead, but she may say that it would be a comforting reminder of what she's been able to put behind her.

If you'd prefer to keep the quilt a secret for the time being, then I'd probably use something else for the backing - something that either coordinates with the colors used in the top or something that is more reflective of her life (horses for a horse-lover, mountains for an out-doorsy person, coffee mugs for a coffee lover, etc.).

I hope you'll come back and share pictures when you're finished!
This was my thought, too. Why don't you just ask her?
Old 03-17-2011, 08:55 PM

Just putting my 2 cents in my mom hates the pink ribbons it is a constant reminder to her of the most horrendence time in her life. Please donot put it on her quilt if she is not talking about it it is for a reason she does not want to go back down that path.