Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
looking for feedback... >

looking for feedback...

looking for feedback...

Old 03-06-2011, 02:57 PM

No matter what is on the fabric....she will always remember. It is a wonderful thing you are doing for her......A SURVIVOR!!!!!
I would go ahead and finish it with your first design.
Old 03-06-2011, 03:19 PM

I made a quilt for my boss she had breast cancer in fact she passed away a few months after I made the quilt. She also was very private about her disease.I did not include any pink ribbons on her quilt she was very Irish so I made it all in greens with a minke backing. She loved the quilt even had it laying over her when she passed. She never talked about her illness but when someone wore something with a pink ribbon she made a point of speaking to that person and thanking them. I don't think she liked being reminded about her illness but she battled for 15 years to survive and wore the pink ribbon proudly
Old 03-06-2011, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by carolaug
Thank-you all for your feedback - after reading all of these responses I think I will be on the safe side and use a flower flannel background instead. Again thank you!!!
I am sure that sister will love the quilt knowing that she is wrapped in your love and support! God bless you and your sister!
Old 03-06-2011, 05:18 PM

I'm a breast cancer survior. Even though this happened to me a long time ago (1981), it's still quite painful for me to remember that time. I know that a lot of people think the pink ribbons are a good idea, but for me, it would not be a pleasant thing. I would love a quilt, but I would want it to be my favorite colors and flowers, not a reminder of a very sad and unhappy time. I guess what I'm saying is that I wouldn't like those pink ribbons because they would remind me of the cancer and I don't need or want any reminders. That's just my opinion, though. Thank you for reading my post and I'm sure she will love the quilt, whatever you decide.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:17 PM

I would think the pink ribbons would include her in a unique group that is striving for the same goal and give her a feeling of togetherness and strength to carry on as others are and do. It's a great gesture on your part and I hope you feel good about what you are doing for her!
Old 03-06-2011, 06:36 PM

What you are doing for your sister is so very loving and caring. A friend who lives up north survived breast cancer and a group of quilters made a pink quilt for her. She told me that she truly appreciated what they did for her and it was beautiful but she felt it was a reminder and that she was more than a cancer survivor. Again, she did appreciate the love behind the quilt.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:38 PM

If I were you, I'd ask her how she feels about the whole pink ribbon awareness campaign. You wouldn't have to say the reason WHY you're asking, just bring it up in some discrete way. Don't be afraid to ask her. You won't know for sure unless you ASK. :wink:
Old 03-06-2011, 09:15 PM

i'm a six year survivor, and while i don't have a pink quilt or pink ribbons on a quilt, i have a collection of pink ribbons and pink ribbon pins that were given to me when i needed them. they're symbols of caring, someone sharing their strength with you, that you aren't going through this alone .
Old 03-07-2011, 02:53 AM

green is the color of new beginnings. Just food for thought.
Sorry anyone has to go through that. Follow your heart and see where it will leave you.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:11 AM

The flowered backing sounds good.You can always make her another quilt, if you want.I think your heart will guide your decision.