Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
looking for feedback... >

looking for feedback...

looking for feedback...

Old 03-07-2011, 08:12 AM

I agree with those that say "If in doubt, don't." Sounds like your sister doesn't want to be defined as a cancer survivor instead of all the other things that make her who she is. I would chose something that matches the colors in the quilt top and put the pink ribbon material aside for something else.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:14 AM

What a wonderful gift to give your sister. If she's a very private person, I probably would not use the pink awareness ribbon flannel. If she were to show it or a friend drops by and sees the quilt ... she probably would not want the questions....
Old 03-07-2011, 08:18 AM
sap

I'd bring up the topic about pink ribbons without leting her know about the quilt. That way you could get feedback from her and she wouldn't know the difference.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:30 AM

I am a 6 year breast cancer survivor who never wore pink and never thought of myself as a "pink" person but since going through the double mastectomy and 6 treatments of chemo from which I got the very real "chemo brain" I wear pink and my pink ribbon jewlery to remind others to get their mammograms religiously and that there is hope and surviorship after breast cancer. Go for the ribbon flannel and tell her she should be proud and stong!!! My Mother and her 3 other sisters as well as two younger first cousins had it, some made it and some didn't but the ones who found it the earliest had the best chance so get your mammograms. Many counties and state health departments offer free exams for people with low incomes. Go pink to remember!
Old 03-07-2011, 08:42 AM

Maybe you could tell her you are thinking of making a quilt for a friend and ask her what she would think of the pink ribbon fabric..Then when you make her quilt, either with the ribbons or not, put a note to "my best friend, My sister"
Old 03-07-2011, 09:05 AM

No pink ribbons....it would "advertise" her experience and because she is private about the matter may not "set well" with her. If it were me, I would rather have a quilt made especially for me, letting me know I was loved, rather than one with pink ribbons for breast cancer....whether it signified survivor,,,,,etc...or not..just saying. My motto: if in doubt, do without.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:48 AM

I too am a cancer patient in remission. I think how your sister would view the flannel with the pink ribbons depends on her attitude. She could view it as a verification that she made it through all the treatments. Or she could view it as an unpleasant reminder of a very rough time. You mentioned that she is very private so it could be it would remind her of the tough time. I have no problem talking about my cancer (lung) and would see the flanel as a big Hurrah that I made it through and am in remission.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:55 AM

I have an egg basket, large, filled with pink ribbons, pins etc. that are constantly being given to me by cancer survivors. They must love them or they would not be giving them to me as I have not had cancer. My sign shop does more pink ribbons than any other one item for cars, trucks, boats, etc. They tell me it is a sign of HOPE FOR THE FUTURE. It is truly what you felt when you purchased it for her. Go with your intuition.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:53 AM

I'm a 1-1/2 year survivor and I agree - those pink ribbons bring tears to my eyes - maybe because they represent so many people who have endured this disease. It's not fun! My 4 yr old granddaughter calls it the magic pink ribbon. I think it represents hope and faith, etc. But I can also see where your sister is coming from - I was very hesitant to "advertise" the disease and my husband convinced me that the more you talk about it, the better chance someone else will be pushed to have their checkup that they have been putting off.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:17 PM

I'm sure everyone has their own opinion, but I think you are doing a wonderful thing, too.