Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
looking for feedback... >

looking for feedback...

looking for feedback...

Old 03-07-2011, 01:36 PM

My Mother died from breast cancer and as your sister feels very private about it so was my mother. Cancer was never mentioned in our home. Nor would she listen to the oncolgist Istay in the room to hear what was going on while Mom left and got dressed. I too am 13 years breast cancer free.I'm open on talking on it , which I just did at Relay For Life which covers all cancers.
If your sister is that private about it, I would not put the pink ribbon fabric on the back. My opinion only
Old 03-07-2011, 02:14 PM

As a successful "survivor" of cancer three times (at 56, colon; 66, breast; at 76, thyroid) I applaud your decision to use a non-pink ribbon print on your sister's quilt. Awareness of any type of disease or ailment is important, but I do not particularly relate to the limited attention of the pink ribbon programs, as noble as they are. I wish and pray for your sister the complete successful recoveries I have had. Let us have shared pictures of your quilt.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:18 PM

I had cancer a couple of years ago and am in remission. Truthfully, I agree with your husband. I don't want anything to remind me of all that I had to do to get well. So I wouldn't like the pink ribbons. You might just ask your sister what she thought of them without telling her what they were for.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:34 PM

Just returned from the surgeon's office for a checkup - 3 year survivor!! I have a quilt made by a dear friend with Loralie bald head ladies focus fabric, with the backing signed by co-workers, friends and my doctors. It is a true treasure, especially since it was a surprise and received halfway through my chemo when I really needed a boost. Each person deals differently with their situation. I chose to share - faith, family and friends are a blessing I am thankful for each day. I'm a pink ribbon girl!!
Old 03-07-2011, 02:41 PM

I am a breast cancer survivor, Thank God!

The pink ribbon pins, cups, hats, socks, shirts, etc are fine and I have not problem with them, however, I do not think I would want the back of my quilt full of them.

I am also a quilter and I have a block that is the pink ribbon and some day I will do something with it, but haven't decided yet exactly what that will be?

I use 100% cotton fabric for quilt backing, living in the South I don't have much use for flannel on my quilts. Ask your sister and let her know you care, enough to ask bet she will tell you.

delma
Old 03-07-2011, 02:55 PM

I've not had cancer, but my mother had breast cancer twenty years ago and I have had fourteen years' experience of living with serious illness myself. The last thing I'd want is a quilt reminding me of any illness. Creativity and beauty take me away from illness. If I were to make my mother a pink ribbon quilt, she would be absolutely appalled and deeply hurt. She was traumatised by the experience of cancer and had quite a lot of counselling to get over it, the last thing she'd want would be a constant reminder that would make any visitor to her home start asking her about something so private and painful.

Some people embrace the whole pink ribbon thing. If you refrain from using any breast cancer symbols, you won't offend them, it'll still be a lovely present. However, if you do use breast cancer symbols, you run a substantial risk of offending and upsetting your sister.

On the other hand, I gather you feel strongly about breast cancer awareness. Perhaps make a second quilt featuring this fabric and give it to a breast cancer charity for them to raffle off? That way, there will be money going to a good cause, and people will choose the quilt if it appeals to them. I'm doing a fairly explicit charity quilt myself right now: I wouldn't make it for someone specific unless I knew that they wanted that sort of thing, but for a raffle I reckon there will be enough people who will like it.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:11 PM

I hope you don't use the pink ribbon background. She is private about it. If someone sees the pink ribbons, they will start asking questions and want to know about her ordeal. This would probably lead to having discuss her sister she lost.
Elizabeth
Old 03-07-2011, 03:21 PM

I just finished a quilt for a coworker who retired and is a 10 year survivor of breast cancer. I used flannel on the back with the survivor ribbon on it. She loved it, she almost cried when she saw it. She said it's not a reminder she had cancer, it's a reminder she is a survivor.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:29 PM

I am a breast cancer survivor and want no reminders! That said, I have friends who feel very differently. Everyone reacts differently.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:32 PM

i think i would find colors that mimicked dawn, for a new beginning, rather than take a chance on offending or hurting her. there are marvelous batiks that show colors that evoke joy and hope, without bringing the pink ribbons. and i would make a lap quilt or something similar out of the pink ribbons fabric, and donate it in her name to a breast cancer event.