Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
looking for feedback... >

looking for feedback...

looking for feedback...

Old 03-07-2011, 06:54 AM

I'm sure you'll do the right thing. It's the thought that counts. And,whatever you decide, she'll know it came from your heart. And, that is the main thing.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:02 AM

I am recovering from a mastectomy and start my chemo tomorrow. I have found myself avoiding all the usual cancer sites, despite signing up initially, because I do not want to be constantly reminded of my disease. I am so much more than my cancer.

I am trying to live as normal a life as is possible under the circumstances, and would much prefer to have someone give me a quilt that reflected my favorite things rather than the cancer.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:08 AM

I'm not a cancer survivor. I think that you would want to do what would be most meaningful or helpful to your sister. If it isn't a surprise why not ask her how she would feel about it. Some like it, some don't, and if it is a surprise why not just ask her how she feels about seeing the pink ribbons and not mention the quilt, just get her general feeiling about seeing them.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:26 AM

you've said it yourself. "she is very private with this" if you want her to use the quilt, which why make one if not to be used, then stay away from anything that would indicate it for/because of the cancer. I would recommend getting a nice soft flannel without the pink ribbons and telling her it to because of this.
Quilt will be used, she won't mind showing it to others. And she will know the cause of it being made and given.
When my sister beat her leukemia she got rid of all her pink ribbon stuff. So done with that and don't want it to ever come back.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:37 AM

I agree with your husband. Why have a constant visual reminder.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:41 AM

because it is something I overcame!
Old 03-07-2011, 07:48 AM

My sister, also a very private and shy person, is a survivor. She battled Ovarian Cancer and is grateful for every day she has on this earth. I have used the Ovarian Cancer Fabrics in projects for her and she appreciates them. Every year we celebrate her survival and are thankful for the additional time we've had together.

Your sister is a survivor. Celebrate that!!! She will probably love the pink ribbons.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:48 AM

I believe you, yourself, need to make this decision. You know your sister, and probably know deep inside how she would feel about it.

I can't imagine how I would feel if I were in her (or your) situation.

Seems like the flannel honors both the battle of the victim, as well as the awareness of cancer and the hope for the future.

Maybe I would not use the pink ribbons, but write her a heartfelt letter of how you personally love her and how you hate this enemy that has taken such a toll on your family.

My thoughts are with you on this.

Linda
Old 03-07-2011, 07:59 AM

I am a 6 yr breast cancer survivor. I proudly wear my pink ribbons and use pink ribbons in my sewing, quilting. I was very fortunate that my turmor was small and had not invaded the lymph system. Prayers, a mastectomy and oral chemo for 5 years has kept me cancer free. I wear and use the pink ribbon to promote awareness and remind my self how grateful I am for health and early detection. I will remember your sister and family in my prayers. God Bless.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:07 AM

I think it depends on your sister. I had a co-worker who was very "I kicked its ass!" about her cancer and very much embraced the pink ribbons...my own sister OTOH, would much prefer to put it behind her and not be reminded every minute and get on with her life.

So, how is your sister about it? Does she have any pink ribbon stuff?