Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My Rowenta Iron Caught Fire!!! >

My Rowenta Iron Caught Fire!!!

My Rowenta Iron Caught Fire!!!

Old 10-26-2012, 06:19 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
YIKES!!! Didn't someone else just post, not too long ago, about an iron catching fire? Can't remember the brand but do remember it was one of the "nicer" ones (also Rowenta?). I always unplug my iron, when I leave it . . . but even still, that should never happen!!!
Yes, they did and I don't remember the brand either.
Makes me think I should put my iron outside with a fire line around it after each use!
Old 10-26-2012, 06:23 PM

Scissor Queen..I also have an old GE Chrome steam/dry iron..Nice weight and working almost perfectly..I say almost, because once in awhile it will leak water if overfilled. When this one goes, I'll look for another one at Goodwill...Found this one years ago at a garage sale...I absolutely always unplug it when finished though.. after reading about irons catching fire when left plugged in...
Old 10-27-2012, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
There have been way too many reports of Rowentas catching on fire for me to even entertain the thought of purchasing one.
I was thinking of getting a rowenta iron now I don't think I will,even both looking at them. To many accidents with fire. I think the company should replace it IF you even what another one. I don't know if I would!
Old 10-27-2012, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by meanmom View Post
My first Rowenta work great for about 2 months. It was over $100. It started steaming so heavy no matter what the setting I had to wipe up puddles under my ironing board. I took it back to Bed BAth and Beyond. The manager gave me the next better model iron fro no more money. When it was about 1 1/2 years old it started leaking like crazy and smelling hot. I quit using it because of the leaking and smell. I emailed Rowenta and they wouldn't do anything. They just told me it was out of warranty and I was SOL. I even contacted a supposed manager same response. I will never, ever buy another Rowenta iron as long as I live. I wouldn't even take one for free. I would be afraid to use it.
When I get a negative response from CS, like "sorry, warranty ran out" -- I send a snail mail letter to the president of the company. Last one I did was on a B&D string trimmer that quit working within a week of the end of warranty. I basically said, Is this the kind of quality I can expect from B&D? And told them I had always had good luck with their tools in the past, but was re-thinking my brand loyalty.

Got a new one via UPS in a few weeks.

Trust me, it works. At the executive level, they are very interested in the company's reputation.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by jude by the sea View Post
Yikes, yikes yikes this seems like it just happened to someone else on this board, think of people who aren't on our board and have no idea of the potential problem! I have an allisio (spelling) it raises up when I set it down . I have had it for 3 years and now when I iron the handle feels really hot! I am keeping my eyes on it! Why don't they make things like they use to because everything lasted much longer back in the day.
I know what you mean. I had a cordless GE iron that I had for probably 25 years and never a problem with it. It just slowly died of old age and couldn't hold the heat for very long anymore. I think I paid about $40 for it which was quite a bit way back then.....but I felt I got my money's worth having it last so long. Loved that cordless feature.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by jlwheart View Post
I have 2 Rowentas and I just called their US customer service # and talked w/rep. He told me he was going to document my concern. I told him about reading about yet, another Rowenta, catching fire. I also told him until they get this problem fixed, I'm switching to another brand. Thanks for heads up about Shark. It's on my shopping list for next week!!!
PS I did mention the QB to the rep.
I hope you will like the Shark. I'm very happy with mine. I think it's called the Professional. The tank area is a reddish color. It's nice and heavy like the more expensive irons, has a large reservoir which I really like, several levels of steam plus a "major" steam pulse (I can actually feel the pressure lifting against the iron when I press the button). I think I bought it at Walmart for $39.99. Hope you'll love it as much as I do.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:22 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bettyboop32953 View Post
I purchased a Rowenta Focus DZ5080 several years ago. I absolutely loved my iron. It started leaking, but was way past warranty, so I just lived with it. I spent a lot of money for this iron and couldn't just throw it away. Yesterday, the iron started smelling funny and I got up to check the garage, thinking my husband was doing something. Then I decided that I had scorched some synthetic ribbon when ironing some quilt blocks. The smell was strong, so I unplugged it to cool and clean the face plate. While sitting on my kitchen counter, I plugged it in and it caught on fire at the base, inside the iron! Wow, I hate to think of what could have happened if I had stepped away waiting for the iron to heat up.

I did some research and found that many (115 so far) of the Rowenta irons have been reported catching fire. I could not find a recall notice on the Consumer Safety website. I have emailed the Rowenta corporation about this. I don't expect any financial compensation, but I am very concerned that someone could get hurt or worse. Has this happened to any of you?
Even if it is past warranty, your research showed 115 fires of the Rowenta. I am sure that those people got new Rowenta Irons. And, if'n it were me, I'd make sure I did, considering what COULD have happened. I do not spend money, especially money like (I was just checking prices the other day on a Rowenta iron - $174.00) that for the fun of it and a good iron is important to us quilters. I would either get, no, demand a new iron, or get your money back, at today's prices. I am looking for a new iron myself and checked Oliso and Rowenta and did not hear any good reviews on them and check Consumers Research and found the Black and Decker D2030 to be the best iron!!!!! I wrote on my list for Santa Claus that I put on my kitchen cupboard door. Santa sees the kitchen cupboard door quite often. Google the Rowenta company and click til you see "Contact" and there it will give you everything you need including room to write a handy dandy little message (in spades, I hope).

I do wish you luck. I don't let things like this go by. I am my own advocate and I generally win. Good adrenalin pumper, too. I feel like I took care of myself, my husband (because he would have to pay for a new whatever) and others like us who just are just plain tired of being screwed! Good luck. Let us know how it goes. Edie

Last edited by Edie; 10-27-2012 at 05:25 AM.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:31 AM

Default Rowenta iron

Several years ago I bought a top of the line rowenta irons. It started leaking. The final straw was rust spots when I was ironing. So just before warranty was up took it back to store and exchanged for a new one. That one did the same thing then eventually caught fire. Unfortunately it was just out of warranty so tossed it. Now using a cheap rowenta my mother had. Seems to be working fine so far. But I will keep a close eye on it. Any hint of problem and out it goes (minus the cord). Didn't realize so many others were having same problem. I would think if I pay over $100 for an iron it should last for more than one year!!!
Old 10-27-2012, 08:50 AM

I have used Rowenta for about 10 years now, and have never had any problems. Had to replace the 1st one because a puppy chewed the cord, and I got tired waiting for DH to replace it. Current one is a 'Focus' model. It has auto shut off, but I never leave it plugged in once I leave the sewing room. Thanks for the warning, tho.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:02 AM

So glad u contacted them. I wonder about contacting the Product Saftey comission?