Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
OK I know This Is The Dumbest Question Ever!! >

OK I know This Is The Dumbest Question Ever!!

OK I know This Is The Dumbest Question Ever!!

Old 05-24-2010, 08:22 AM

We would never hit you Marsye :cry:
Now that you know what a quilting retreat is..we should all gather at your's or Eddie's house, take a side trip to Marshalls, and sew up a storm :thumbup:
Old 05-24-2010, 08:25 AM

Hey kiddo, that is NOT a dumb question. I didn't know until I went to one. As a matter of fact, went to my second one last week. Every retreat is different. Some are structured with lecturers, others are more loosely structured. The one I went to could have been called a "Sewing Getaway" instead of a retreat. We went to Shipshewana, Ind. We checked in to our hotel on Thursday around 3:00 and left Sunday at 1:00. There was a huge conference room available 24 hours for us, at the end of the hall where our rooms were located. Last out locks up, first up opens. We each had an 8 foot table for our very own, there were 2 large tables with cutting mats, 4 ironing boards. We set up our sewing machines and sewed, sewed, sewed. Of course we did some shopping. We went out for our meals. There was also a pool and whirlpool.

We have some very talented ladies and guys in our group so there was a lot of sharing going on. One gal showed us how to make a sweatshirt jacket. I did a demo on tube quilting. One of the guys did a quick demo on the "Tater Bag". Another gal showed quick table runners. One of the gals did a purse demo. It was a lot of fun and a great get-away. We all hated to leave. There were some beautiful quilts made that week-end. Also some vests, jackets, blouses, and one gal brought her brand new Pfaff embroidery machine so she could just sit, read the manual, and find out how it works. And, of course, she got to network with others and it was a big help for her to learn her machine.

Some retreats are more structured, have a guest speaker (Lipinski did one not far from here last fall) and you all work on a similar quilt or design. Either way they are a lot of fun.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:28 AM

I have been to a couple and WOW are they fun!! Some can be quite expensive while others are really cheap! There will be over-achievers who will open the door to the sewing room at 5 a.m. and be the one to lock it at 4 a.m. -- and then you have the under-achievers who you might see once or twice (usually at meal times). But it's all about sewing, talking, gawking at others' work, sharing fabric scraps and just having fun. You don't have to know anyone either before you go but you will have several friends by the time you leave! :D
Old 05-24-2010, 08:30 AM
Banned

and we now have quilting retreats exclusively for men who quilt...........
Old 05-24-2010, 08:32 AM

marsye,

DO go on a quilting retreat if you get the chance. You will have the time of your life. It is so much fun!

You take your sewing machine, projects, patterns, and all the accoutrements (thread, pins, etc) and spend your time sewing to your heart's content. You get to chat and share ideas, tips, and tricks with other quilters. Often there will be impromptu tutorials on some new technique. Then there's the food! Usually the food is prepared by someone else, but the participants usually bring extra food for snacking. And we all know that quilters always have the bestest snacks and desserts in the world!

So, you spend your retreat time sewing, talking, laughing, and eating with no housework, laundry, or cooking. You go to bed when you want, get up when you want, and have a blast. I thoroughly recommend quilting retreats to everyone.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:57 AM

I would be interested in going to a retreat if it was relatively close to here. But NOT in the woods, please - 'reminds me of Texas Chainsaw Massacre or my back yard FULL of chiggers, ticks and skunks!
Old 05-24-2010, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Lockeb
Now isn't that the cutest photo...now I want a little bunny!!! :-)
ME TOO! How adorable! :-D :-D
Old 05-24-2010, 09:52 AM

My DD was at a retreat for her class in college last week. They were in a small town in Nebraska called St. Benedictine. She said there were a group of quilters there she got to visit with. She said all they did was eat, and sew, they may have walked some but they were having a lot of fun. Ahe thinks I need to go on one now. I guess at this retreat everyone ate together in a dinning room. My DD loved the place...She was there as a soul searching type experience and had a wonderful time. So I am ready to go and quilt........LOL
Old 05-24-2010, 09:58 AM

Now you guys have made me want to go on a retreat.... where do I find one in the UK?

Or maybe I should come over to the good ole USA and annoy you guys! (have to wait for the bridge to be built as DH hastes to fly).

Hugs

Caroline
Old 05-24-2010, 10:02 AM

im glad you asked marsye i didnt know what they were either, now we know great question and great answers, thank you all