Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt as a Gift >

Quilt as a Gift

Quilt as a Gift

Old 06-02-2010, 09:30 AM

We have all been there, done that.
Baby quilts all nieces and nephews wait for.
lots of quilters in our family.
A few years ago, I had a ten year old, tell me he still uses
his baby blanket. Babies get attached to them you know.
It just takes a word from a little one to make you forget
about not being thanked by others.
I was hurt once by knowing my dad gave something away.
But it was his to give as I gave to him. He just thought that other person would enjoy it and keep it. Yes quilts take time but also buying a gift does also. Not everyone likes what you do.
When you give a gift, it does not matter what it is, it is theirs .
We have all received things that we later put in yard sales and never touched. Same with a quilt. Just that we put our heart and souls into them.
I say I will be more careful with whom I give a quilt, but who knows what they do with it.
If a person tells me thank you of any sort, I am happy.
Thank you at time of present is enough for me as I know how lax others are at sending thank yous.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:42 AM

I love to make baby quilts for family. When I made one for a nephew, his mother laughed and said his older brother (then 14) wondered if he would have to share his with his new brother. I was amazed a 14-year-old boy was so attached to his baby quilt, but yet quite willing to share.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:55 AM

I am probably going to be slam dunked on this answer but I would like to share it anyway.

When you made the quilt, you did it with a giving heart I hope. I know you would love for the response to be thank you and what a wonderful present. But you must remember that you are dealing with humans and that may have been that person's way of saying thank you. That person probably do not know you felt the way you did. When you give something from you heart, don't worry about the thank you. God has a better thank you than man can provide. Keep giving and many good things will be given back to you. Plus if you dwell on this, that person is controlling your emotions and doesn't even know it. Just give because you love giving and expect nothing in return. What a blessing you will be.

Quiltbaby
Old 06-02-2010, 10:09 AM

My thought is we all LOVE to quilt, just let it go and make another one. You'll be happy doing it.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:15 AM

WOW! Beautiful. Please make me a quilt!
Old 06-02-2010, 10:16 AM

It's not just quilts. Don't we all know folks who don't thank anyone for anything? Unfortunately, I'm acquainted with too many of those kinds of people! Someone forgot to teach them good manners.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltbaby
I am probably going to be slam dunked on this answer but I would like to share it anyway.

When you made the quilt, you did it with a giving heart I hope. I know you would love for the response to be thank you and what a wonderful present. But you must remember that you are dealing with humans and that may have been that person's way of saying thank you. That person probably do not know you felt the way you did. When you give something from you heart, don't worry about the thank you. God has a better thank you than man can provide. Keep giving and many good things will be given back to you. Plus if you dwell on this, that person is controlling your emotions and doesn't even know it. Just give because you love giving and expect nothing in return. What a blessing you will be.

Quiltbaby

Thanks for this reminder Quiltbaby - I just found out my niece is pregnant after suffering a miscarriage a few years ago. I will continue to make quilts for my nieces/nephews etc. because I enjoy doing so.
Last year I made 2 quilts for a co-worker's twins and even tho I didn't get a thank you from his wife I did get the pleasure of knowing their first pictures were taken while laying on my quilts!
Old 06-02-2010, 10:19 AM

One of my PL blanketeers told us that she usually makes the 6 hour quilts for her Grandkids so that when she sees them dragged out in the dirt or around on the floor it doesn't bother her. She makes the "good" quilts when they get married or when they are adults. I am just happy to see them being used however they get used because you know that they enjoy them. I expect that quilts for kids or around kids are going to be dragged in the dirt.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:42 AM

The only baby quilt I've ever made was for my niece. She was a preemie and I wanted to give her a special gift to celebrate her first Christmas. I had all grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins sign a block and then embroidered over the names so they would be there forever. The quilt was a Christmas themed quilt. My sister only lets her have it at Christmas time. My niece has been asking for another quilt and I will be giving it to her for her 7th birthday this year. It won't match her bedroom, but both her mother and I know that she will love it! As long as I see her use it, I don't need a thank you.

Both my sisters and I still have quilts that were given to us when we were babies by my aunt. They may not be in great shape now, but we still love them as much as ever and they play an important part in our childhood memories.

I won't make my older niece a quilt because I don't think she'd appreciate it as much as the younger one.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:25 AM

I can totally relate to all of your stories. I made a quilt recently for my nephew's new son. Never heard a word. I'd like to say I don't care, but a simple thank you would do wonders. I will continue to make them and give them away tho. I just won't be holding my breath waiting on a thank you from people who have no manners. Most of my quilts go to Quilts For Kids. I'm positive they appreciate them. If you don't expect a thank you and you get one, all the better.