Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt as a Gift >

Quilt as a Gift

Quilt as a Gift

Old 06-02-2010, 05:31 AM

Yes, I have given them as gifts and yes, as others say "people do not realize the time and effort put into the quilt." Now I only give them to people who know me and understand the hours, thought, time, and love with each stitch.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:47 AM

That is exactly why I am very picky about the people to which I give quilts. I don't think I could take them not making a fuss over something to which I've poured my heart and soul.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:11 AM

A few years ago I made a beautiful quilt for my 30 yr. old step-daughter and when I saw it a year later it had 3 cigarette burns on it - she ironed a patch on them. She had a baby last year - I refused to make a quilt for her. I have made 4 quilts for my daughter and she sleeps with them every night. I just assume some people appreciate quilts more than others and leave it at that.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:29 AM

I wonder if some people don't realize it's hand made and not store bought. I would think they would be more appreciative if there was some way to convey that when the quilt is given.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:15 AM

To Pollyv9
I'm glad that your daughter-in-law appreciates the work and beauty of quilts. I'm only sorry that she has but her burden of finding a present on you. I would tell her that since so much time, energy and money go into your quilts you have chosen to give them only to a few chosen people. Each quilt is a gift of yourself. Your daughter-in-law asking for quilts for her family may be irritating because she is taking advantage of you. If she isn't purchasing the supplies and paying you for your time you have become a free source of presents.

It saddens me to read that so many of us have had our giftes taken for granted. Without a simple note of gratitude.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:28 AM

I have made two baby quilts for the daughters of friends. I mailed the quilts to the friends to give to the daughters and they emailed to let me know how "fabulous" they were. Never heard a word from the daughters. I don't do that anymore. If I am invited to a baby shower I will make and take one. I have plenty of other elderly folks that need a throw to waste my time and fabric on folks who cannot even thank you. That is my story and I am sticking to it!
Old 06-02-2010, 08:46 AM

i know all about that notake care of from my youngest daughter made her a quilt that was a difficult pattern and gave it to her she was thrilled & within three months it was hanging up as a room divider with nails holding it up and then i looked at it and there was a cigarette burn hole in it and a big red kool aid stain will be a long time before i make her another one.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by sss
Has anyone ever given a quilt as a gift to someone and after giving the quilt gift you hardly get a thank you? I just don't think people realize the time, work, thought and worry that you put into each quilt you do, especially when it is for someone you think is going to love it. I just finished a retirement quilt for a friend who I work with. We have worked together for 10 yrs. Her thank you to me was, "Your quilt was a big hit!"
Any thoughts on this? I know I should not be upset but I am.
I guess my big question to you is what kind of thank you are you looking for? I don't mean to sound heartless but I've found that unless people make things themselves (any craft, not just quilts), they are not going to thoroughly understand all that went into it.

A simple thank you or in your case the quilt being a big hit, would be more than acceptable for me. I give because I so enjoy the giving. I don't expect a thank you, however I won't turn one down. I give to some individuals knowing they will never appreciate the gift as much as another might, but it makes me feel good to give it anyway. If I didn't get pleasure out of gifting or did it only to get praise, I'd probably stop quilting altogether. What would be the point in just piling up quilts in my own closet? :)
Old 06-02-2010, 09:23 AM

Oh yes, my sister asked if I was going to make a baby quilt for her new Grandbaby so I did. I'm still waiting for a thank you. Her daughter just has another baby and guess what I'm NOT going to make one.

baby bow tie
[ATTACH=CONFIG]77508[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-77503.jpe  
Old 06-02-2010, 09:27 AM

I would be happy with a telephone call. Any kind of Thank you would be good for me.