Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt as a Gift >

Quilt as a Gift

Quilt as a Gift

Old 06-01-2010, 11:50 AM

Good thing we do this for the love of quilting, and not to make others happy. I really like my idea of only making quilts for those I want to not because someone is having a baby and I made one for someone else. There were a couple of babies born last year on post. I made one for 1 of them and not for the other. ( I do not give them out at showers but 1 on 1 later on, so the other person does not even know I made a quilt. ) This year there are 4 babies being born within a couple of months. I am making 1 baby quilt. It takes me to long (I probably would make them all one). Happy quilting everyone. May we each find joy in what we do not in the end result. And for those out there that feel like you have to make one for everyone, just say no. Think of yourself as an acclaimed artist, artist don't make works of arts for there friends and family members for Christmas and birthday's and special occasions. I am going to consider my quilts grand work of art and be picky on who gets one.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:56 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JanetM
Originally Posted by CAROLJ
My mother in law gave my gift back to me two years later.
:shock: :shock: :shock: That is horrible. Several of you say that once you give a gift it belongs to the recipient and if a thank you isn't forthcoming...oh well.

I must admit that you are more gracious than I would be. I would vow never to make them anything in the future. Nonquilters may not know exactly how much money and time go into a quilt, but they surely know that it didn't make itself and can pretty well guess that a considerable amount of time went into making it. I guess if I'm not so forgiving I will have to be careful to make a quilt only for someone I am sure would be appreciative.
I got a pineapple-crocheted bedspread that was made by MIL's grandmother - a true heirloom. It sat in a pillow case in a closet for quite a few years. Since we have cats with lethal claws and black dogs, I realized that I would never put the piece out. So I gave it back. I'd rather see the piece put out somewhere where it is appreciated and loved. Same with a quilt. I'd rather get a quilt back than find it used as a drop cloth or a dog bed.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:02 PM

My first mother-in-law used to make beautiful clothing and quilts for my children. One of the quilts she made for my daughter was made from hand-embroudered and cross-stitched panels that she and her sisters worked on when they were children. There were thirteen children in their family and the mother taught them to keep their hands busy to help them stay out of trouble. Mina (my MIL) kept these panels for many, many years. She had four boys who were not interested in such "girly" things. Finally when my daughter was born she had someone to whom she could bestow this heirloom and she pieced the panels together and made a gorgeous quilt. This quilt bridged all four generations together and there would never be enough words to thank all the hands that helped to create it. It was well-loved by my little girl Hilary for many years. Unfortunately this quilt, along with many other prized possessions, was destroyed when we had a terrible fire in our home in NY about 15 years ago. My daughter who is now a grown woman still talks about that quilt and asked me to try to make a replica for her to give to her children some day. I don't know if her Grandma who passed away several years ago ever realized how much that quilt was treasured and how much it is missed. I guess my point is that sometimes it takes some time before a quilt or any other handmade work of art finds its place in someone's heart. Just ask any art or music historian about some of the world's great artists and composers who suffered during their lifetimes from their work being rejected by so many but who are now held in such high esteem. When you give the gift of a quilt just do so joyfully knowing how much you enjoyed the process of creating it and assuming that someday, maybe in the far off future, someone will love it as much as you do. Don't worry that your gift does not seem to be appreciated as much as you think it deserves to be. Just know that someday it will be.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:10 PM

Mamagus.
Suggest to your DH that you would like to go visit the daughter instead of just sending something to her' since you have never met her. If she continues with her rudeness and cold attitude, you both will be face to face with it and can confront it. And make it into a beautiful vacation to buffer any rejection. So plan to stay at a nearby hotel, where you can get up and go.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:17 PM

I agree, MadQuilter.
I made a beautiful crocheted baby blanket for my new GD. I laterfound this tacked to the window as a curtain.
This same DIL wantedkit. towels for Christmas. I gave her many so she would have them for a few years. Then I saw her mopping the floor with them.
Some people have been raised this way because they have always had gotten what they asked for and more. We live in the land of plenty and it is now a throwaway society. Take a look at the landfills, the roadside garbage the poluted waters, etc. Sorry for the bandwagon speech.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:03 PM

I think sometimes our expectations are too high when we give a quilt to someone. We expect them to be as impressed and thrilled as we would be if someone gave us one and that isn't going to happen unless they make quilts or other time-consuming handmade items.

Also, I think we need to remember that we all get gifts that we don't care for. I assume that we know to say thanks and pretend we do to the giver, but that doesn't mean we wear the ugly sweater or put out the ugly vase. Quilts aren't going to appeal to everyone and we take a risk every time we give one to someone. We either have to assume the risk that they won't really care for it or not give them away anymore. And we can't assume they will use it in the way we meant when they don't treasure it in the way we wished.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:13 PM
sss

Originally Posted by Pollyv9
I have given several to persons who didn't respond in any way although they acted thrilled when they got them. I mostly give my quilts to my children and grandchildren and they seem to really appreciate them. My daughter-in-law (whom I love by the way) does ask for quilts to give to her family members. This irratates me for some reason. I don't know her family for one thing and it seems like if she wants to give them a gift she might offer to at least pay for the fabric.
If you are taking your time to make a quilt for her to give as a gift then she certainly should pay for all the fabric, batting, & thread.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:38 PM
sss

Originally Posted by nantucketsue
Well I made one for my son and DIL for their wedding. I was asked to make a contemporary quilt with an autumn theme. It took me forever as it was all handquilted. My son appreciated the work that went into it but I wonder if they really liked it because it has never been seen since. I am now working on a wedding quilt for my other son and his wife, but I am worried that they will not like it and the same will happen. Here is a (not very good) photo of the first quilt, which granted is more a wall hanging than a bed quilt, but they did want contemporary.
I can see the work and love that was put into that quilt just from the photo. If that was my quilt I would have it where everyone could see it. It is beautiful!
Old 06-02-2010, 02:46 AM
Power Poster

happens about 9 times out of 10...i have waited ever so (impatiently) waiting to hear SOMETHING/ANYTHING from a person i've gifted a quilt to, and finally after a long-long time...sometimes 2 or 3 months later, will finally ask...so, did you receive the quilt i sent. i hadn't heard anything from you....and i get an...oh ya, it got here, its fine. thanks...sometimes someone else will tell me, oh, she loves that quilt you made for her...even if 'she' doesn't ever mention it... it took me awhile but i quit expecting any common curtisy(boy does that word look weird) anyway,
people don't seem to be taught to make a point of thank you's anymore...so, instead of letting myself feel hurt by someone who is inconsiderate, i finally (pat myself on the back) when i finish one,i know it is good, and if i give it and do not hear anything i assume they are so OVERJOYED WITH HAPPINESS that they can not even speak!!!:)
no point in dwelling on bad manners. i did give one quilt about 10 years ago, that the reciepient was not happy with ...(she loved the quilt, i made it to go on her big over-stuffed leather sofa , and she wished it was queen sized for her bed...took about 3 months, finally i asked, so do you like the quilt? and she told me...it's nice i just wish it fit my bed...i was a little miffed, it was all silks, velvets, embroidered, beautiful, made special for that sofa, but...that was my vision not hers...so i made her a new one for her bed...and no, she didn't feel like she should return the one that was too small... i have just learned to not take it personal, lots of people out there just think of them as 'another blanket' not everyone shares our passion, if everyone did we wouldn't have anyone to give them too..
Old 06-02-2010, 03:50 AM

I had made a Wedding ring quilt for a nephew and his bride...not a word. Then they were "flooded out" and lost tons of stuff including the quilt. My mom suggested I make another to replace the orignal one. I sent a Sears gift card to help them out. 'nough said.