Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Supplies at Wal-Mart >

Quilting Supplies at Wal-Mart

Quilting Supplies at Wal-Mart

Old 04-14-2013, 11:48 AM

Lots of neat ideas!

Every year for Halloween, we buy a big barrel of pretzels from Sam's Club - there's like 72 treat size bags inside. After Halloween I clean out the barrel and use it to toss fabric scraps in. Some day I will cut them up into charm squares.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:34 PM

I buy bankers boxes @walmart to store fabric in. The are inexpensive, have handles so can be moved easily, and are small enough to be handled easily, I just labelnthem with magic markers.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:41 PM
Power Poster

Ive been using the Hefty 2 1/2 gallon bags to store my 12" blocks as I work on my quilt. Also use them to take finished blocks to class (the blocks don't wrinkle and stay flat).
Old 04-14-2013, 06:18 PM

As a nurse manager who struggles regularly to keep our unit within budget, I have to comment here. It is correct that the pink tubs and open containers of wipes will be thrown away. But, not all scissors or forceps, etc are disposable. Many are still returned for sterilization and reuse. I am just cautioning people to be conscientious about what they remove from the room. Many have the mentality that "I am paying an arm and a leg so I deserve it!" and take everything that isn't bolted down. What many don't realize is hospitals receive a drastically reduced % of what is actually billed. Anyway, it is way too complicated to go into, I am just saying, please be honest and ask what is ok to take home.

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose View Post
For any of you who are frequent flyers at the hospital like my hubby, when you come home, raid that room for everything you can grab coz when they clean the room, they will throw everything opened away. I come home with the pink tubs (great for keeping project items together short term)....the little scissors I use for clipping small threads or throw a pair in my purse.....retractable scalpels are great for ripping (also very, very sharp)....the small pillows are tossed too so I bring those home and use them to make throw pillows to go with quilts.....and don't forget the containers of wipes to keep your sewing area clean!
Old 04-14-2013, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by AlienQuilter View Post
Went to Wal-Mart for a couple of items and wound up buying some items that I can use for quilting.

1. Plastic storage drawers - 3 drawers suitable for small cuts of fabric like fat quarters and precuts. This is my second one - first one full! Also have 3 of the larger ones and they are full!

2. Hefty 2 1/2 gallon storage bags. Dimensions 14 3/8 inches by 16 inches. (food storage area) These are great for block swaps or working on samplers. Easily holds those 12 1/2 inch squares.

3. Silicone finger tips - to use when quilting so I don't have to wear gloves. (office supply area)

I love those big zip locks for quilt fabrics. Keeps everything together------------and easily seen
Old 04-14-2013, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by JoanneS View Post
Store your boxes of baggies and freezer paper in a wine box - which you can get free at a liquor store. They're segmented and hold those boxes nicely upright. If you buy your fusibles in bulk, you can roll them around a paper towel tube and store them inthe box, too.
Thank you, thank you!
Old 04-14-2013, 08:11 PM

I have bought a few of those stackable storage drawer set to use for the top of my sewing table, works great.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:45 PM

i bought a pair of work gloves with rubber palms and fingers in bright blue. moves the quilt along beautifully! and the gloves actually fit! i think they were 4.99.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by Cogito View Post
As a nurse manager who struggles regularly to keep our unit within budget, I have to comment here. It is correct that the pink tubs and open containers of wipes will be thrown away. But, not all scissors or forceps, etc are disposable. Many are still returned for sterilization and reuse. I am just cautioning people to be conscientious about what they remove from the room. Many have the mentality that "I am paying an arm and a leg so I deserve it!" and take everything that isn't bolted down. What many don't realize is hospitals receive a drastically reduced % of what is actually billed. Anyway, it is way too complicated to go into, I am just saying, please be honest and ask what is ok to take home.
I've been in the hospital several times in the last 8 years and the nurses always bundled up everything in a plastic bag for me. Maybe it's just this hospitals policy but I was surprised at what was in there. The plastic tub and kidney shaped plastic bowls - can't they be sterilized and used again? I understand the foam pillow used to keep my head still - that would not be sanitary to use again. The little tubes of hand cream are really excellent.

Neat idea about the wine bottle boxes. Will ask at the grocery store about those - they have a big wine section. Need to also look at banker boxes? Not sure what they look like.

While you are at the store - don't forget pipe cleaners - they are really great for cleaning lint out of the bobbin area. That lint just clings to it. And it's really inexpensive. I use a wire cutter (DH's tools LOL) and cut them in half and just throw them away when they get yucky.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:35 AM

Also, Michaels sells a 15 inch scrapbook box. It normally sells for 9.99, but with a sale or coupon they were only 4.50. They hold finished blocks with the extra fabric and the pattern on top so you can see what the project is. They stack nicely also. I have several. Love them!