Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rag quilt >

Rag quilt

Rag quilt

Old 06-09-2011, 08:15 AM

my opinion seems to coincide with most others here. I would never charge a family member. however, if they want to pay something--besides the cost of the fabric and batting, i ask them to give me a check of their desired amount and make it payable to the ACS. I send that to my friend who runs a Relay for Life. This way, we all win. I get to quilt which is a gift for me, my daughter/friend/loved one gets the quilt they want and the gift recipient gets a quilt stitched with love. win-win-win. Does it get better?
Old 06-09-2011, 12:43 PM

Just to clear things up. I had to buy more fabric all the batting for a soon to be son in law. And she wants to pay for the fabric and she knows I get only a little diability chech so she wants to help but she ask me how much . I told her what every she wanted. The answer was no you tell mr. I have made each 5 children 5 quilts each and 4 for each 14 grandchildren. And I had to stop making a breast cancer quilt to have hers done in time. I am a very good and giving mom and grandmother. Monie
Old 06-09-2011, 01:04 PM

Tell her how much the material, batting, and thread are going to cost and let her make up her mind how much extra she want so pay.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:19 PM

See my addition to the story above!
Old 06-09-2011, 01:52 PM

For my raggy quilts, I charge $75 for a twin size, but that includes the fabrics. I would say at least $50 since you bought more fabric & the batting.
As for charging family membrers. I have to add my two cents. I feel like it's not our business to judge whether we charge for our quilts or not. Some of us are on fixed incomes and can't afford to give away our quilts. I'm not saying this to hurt anyone's feelings; it's just my own opinion. After I said this, I have to say that I make quilts for my kids and DH, never extended family. I don't charge my kids, but would charge extended family.
Monie, I'm sure your DD will feel like it will come more from her if she pays for it, right? Good luck!
Old 06-09-2011, 01:57 PM

Thank you! Yes she wants the gift to come from her.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:13 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by flowerjoy
Do I have this right?? You are charging your daughter to make a quilt for your son-in-law? Do not charge anything! This is your family! Let your daughter pay for the materials but you make the quilt for love, not money.
Like this. Have her buy material and threads.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Monie
Just to clear things up. I had to buy more fabric all the batting for a soon to be son in law. And she wants to pay for the fabric and she knows I get only a little diability chech so she wants to help but she ask me how much . I told her what every she wanted. The answer was no you tell mr. I have made each 5 children 5 quilts each and 4 for each 14 grandchildren. And I had to stop making a breast cancer quilt to have hers done in time. I am a very good and giving mom and grandmother. Monie
Now what you were saying makes a bit more sense.
I think you are saying...
You are not asking her to pay you to make the quilt.
She wants to maybe help a bit more than just the fabric?
If she provides/reimburses all the materials (fabric/batting/thread) anything over and above that (if anything) should be considered a gift from her to you and at her discretion.

However, in the spirit of her wanting to help you, if there is something you need/want you could let her know... give her the opportunity to feel as if she's helping you but not feel as if she's "paying" you to make it.

Is that close to what you were meaning?
Old 06-10-2011, 07:39 AM

After reading the comments I had another thought also. You are in a difficult financial situation... as many of us are now days... but family (my opinion) is always different. I think perhaps caution is the word when anyone asks for opinions...you might get more than bargained for. However, perhaps you/daughter/grandchildren, etc. could sell your quilts at a swap shop or some such to make money for you. ... perhaps get your quilts valued at your local LQS to get an objective price? Maybe daughter could pick up some extra material from time to time to help out with your quilting "business". Anyway, much luck to you. Hope the sunshines brighter for you in your future.