Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stash buster new group forming >

Stash buster new group forming

Stash buster new group forming

Old 12-26-2010, 07:53 AM

I'm in - with the exclusion of the two gift cards I received and my lqs sale on new year's day. Please let me know how you set this up so I can follow along!
Old 12-26-2010, 07:56 AM

I'm in. This is my year of unfinished projects...starting today. I have fabric from friends who have died. A challenge to use since I value contemporary quilts.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by skothing
Originally Posted by Nolee
I'll join too. I'll quit the one on Yahoo groups and join this one because the whole layout of this site is so much more user friendly than Yahoo.

Thanks for starting this.
As I am a bit shy I'll try to explain my reasoning behind this group. I am swimming in fabric I give it to my church and to others in need.I still have about 7,000 yards in my stash. I am planning to sell some on e bay and try to down size. Yes I make about 12 quilts a year and give them away. I have 2 myself. When I have offered to give away fabric to friends I've noticed something unpleasant. I see greed and a grabbing onto everything of any worth by a few people. The hoarding spirit is not a good vision to see in ones friends. Then to see garage sales of beautiful fabric being sold for a quarter a yard by the deceased quilters family made me sick at my stomach. So I ask myself before I buy for my stash is it worth 25 cent at my death? I know not all my fabric will make it into quilts. So unless I am going to use it in a weeks time I am saying no.
I too have seen those estate sales where it all goes for a pittance. I think some people start hoarding and then fall into denial. I have a friend that spends several hundred dollars each trip to the LQS. She's bought an expensive long arm machine, kits, purse patterns, etc. She's made exactly TWO quilts in 9 years. I love her and not a sweeter person exists but there comes a time where you have to see the situation for what it really is.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:15 AM

Oh not me....I have to get my stash built back up again....I hear fabric calling my name in the distant....Must buy fabric...must buy fabric!
Old 12-26-2010, 08:18 AM

I would love to say I'm in, but I would just be lying to myself. :)
Old 12-26-2010, 08:18 AM

Go to the "search" section above and type in fabric moritorium (not sure I spelled that right)there is a group of us who are trying it for a year. You kinda set up your own rules and the group is there for support. I started Dec 1 and so far I'm doing well. I did buy 2 1/2 yards for a round robin I'd already committed to do but thats been it. I think my bank account may grow a bit this year.

Marie M.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:25 AM

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-79756-1.htm
Old 12-26-2010, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Joyce L
No WAY. This would be inpossible for me to do. I see fabric I want and I get it, even if I don't have plans for it YET!!!
"Even if don't have plans for it yet." I have been cleaning out fabric boxes to see what I have (after - ahem - a few years) and while I don't remember when I bought some of these "treasures" - one of them boastfully reminded me. It has a tag "Remnant" from Kmart and says 60" wide, 2 1/4 yards for a total price of $2.25 - and the date is 1979. It is a singlel-knit, still in beautiful color and shape - and I still plan on using it "some day." :lol:
Old 12-26-2010, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Jackie D
Never works for me, new fabrics are introduced several times a year, besides I work part time in a Quilt Shop!!
Hah! If I worked for a quilt or fabric shop, they would have to take automatic deductions from my pay to cover my habbit! :D
Old 12-26-2010, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Marysewfun
Originally Posted by Jackie D
Never works for me, new fabrics are introduced several times a year, besides I work part time in a Quilt Shop!!
Hah! If I worked for a quilt or fabric shop, they would have to take automatic deductions from my pay to cover my habbit! :D
I did work for a shop with a liberal discount had to quit cost me to much out of pocket! Also taught quilting, love it though.