Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stash buster new group forming >

Stash buster new group forming

Stash buster new group forming

Old 12-26-2010, 09:12 AM

I will try.... My problem is my stash is not all mine. I inherited a lot from my Mom and it's buried in a trunk. I did go in there a few weeks ago and pulled out a number of pieces ( 2 or more yards each) that I now have placed in my sewing room with my other fabrics. Now I can see it and have a better idea of what I have available. I'm using 2 pieces for boarder strips on a lap quilt I'm doing. So money saved there. Using stash is a big help to the pocket book for sure.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:13 AM

Am already looking over my stash to start using it up, before buying new
fabric. So far have one Warm Wishes lap quilt made, another one cut out,
a third one in planning stage. These go so fast, and are so beautiful!
Of course, I always search EBay for good buys and bought 5 yards one
fabric, set of 3 Jelly Rolls, and another set of strips!
Old 12-26-2010, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by carolaug
i will join....I need to get rid of my stash....I have been making pot holders, pillows...and now I will start on a few new quilts. In the future I am going to try and buy fabric for the projects one at a time...I found I was buying fabric with no plans and they end up sitting in the closet.
I do the same thing - I have so much, that I have no idea what I have
Old 12-26-2010, 10:15 AM

I really need to join this group. Next week I'm cleaning my fabric room. Alot of my fabric is going into a " scrap pile" and I'm going to cut it up for scraps. I figure this is going to make it very handy to use. I love to cut fabric and I'm really gonna have a cutting party. I'm gonna set a goal of one charity quilt a month. I'll even piece my backs. Now all I need to do is decide what scrap quilts to make.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:00 AM

Janie Q
What a great idea! We can encourage each other with ideas like these . Thanks for sharing!
Old 12-26-2010, 11:12 AM

I wanted to say that we had some ladies made us some double knit quilt tops for me to use in charity quilts. I will finish them and offer them as a give-away.

As much as it might sound strange to you, when I had what I thought was an awful, blue, double-knit quilt, someone took it! Willingly. They wanted it. It was heavy and warm and met their need.

So, maybe some of you could find some good charity project and make some simple patchwork (two colors) or teach a granddaughter how to make a simple round the world quilt and then donate them to charity. You could vow to do several this year with fabric that you don't care for anymore...to someone else that fabric would be fantastic.

One year I made a simple green/brown (4" squares--every other square was green and then brown) and it was very pretty. It was scrappy and used a variety of my leftover fabrics. It is an idea--super simple and quick to sew together.

Just a heads up. They don't have to be works of art to give away to the needy. They just need to be finished. :)

My point is that you could do some serious stash-busting this way. This would be far better than seeing your precious fabric go for 25cents a piece at an estate sale.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:04 PM

If I had that kind of will power I'd be skinny and in shape...So Sorry I can't join you either...Just love that fabric too much
Old 12-26-2010, 12:16 PM
Banned

I'm in. I put myself on a fabric diet (again) and this time my goal is to loose 300 yards by July so I can fit into my favorite quilt shop. Let me know when to start.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:45 PM

I will join, (I actually told my husband that I was going to do this, this year), with exceptions, if I may: I am getting ready for a craft show this year and will be buying fabric for those projects only!! Can I still join?????
Old 12-26-2010, 12:58 PM

My New Years resolution is that I am not going to buy any fabric bargains on line. And there are no quilt shops near me. I am planning on going to the Paducah quilt show in April. Never been! Been to the one in Houston when I lived near there. Now let's see how long this resolution will last. I still have this week to by fabric on line!