Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: A Tale of Quality Customer Service From Northcott

Banned
    The behaviour of Northcott and your LQS is shameful. We quilters pay premium prices at our LQS and the shop should stand behind what they sell and then deal with the supplier. Any reputable shop would do that. I know how aggravating this is for you and wish I could make things better.

Blog Entries
    Having worked in retail & wholesale distributing, I can say with knowledge that the store, while not at fault for the poorly cut strips, will be where you need to turn for recourse. They should issue you full credit for the returned fabric (all of it even what you've already cut), and then submit the returned goods to the manufacturer as a defective product. Standard operating procedure; standard chain of command. Look at it this way - if you bought a prepackaged Tommy Hilfiger pajama set at Target and when you got home you found that the pajama top was missing a sleeve would you a) call up the manufacturer of Tommy Hilfiger pajamas and want a refund or b) take the pajama set back to Target for a refund? Most likely (b) right? And on the other end, Target will deal with the Tommy Hilfiger manufacturer as their vendor & return the defective pajama set for credit.

Blog Entries
    I like Northcott quality and color of fabric but now I'll pass on their fabric as I now know this is the way they treat customers and client stores. Too many other fabric brands to love then one that is too lousy to take responsibility for their mistake.

saf
    Just read your comments and went a checked the sizing of the jelly roll strips that I bought this morning. This is Freedom Fabric which is a British firm. Like yours, the strips are of varying widths. As a beginner, I had assumed that jelly rolls would be ideal for me but now I know that I will have all sorts of problems trying to get accurate blocks. Will try taking this backto the store as I haven't cut anything yet, thanks to your warning. Thank goodness for advice on this site, otherwise I can see that I would have been thinking that I was hopeless at getting things right.

Thanks for the info. Just another reason why I like to buy yards at a time and cut myself. Terrible customer service for both, agreed. Wonder how it could have happened unless they (fabric mfg) have someone hand cutting with rotary cutter. Always thought they would do it by machine if it was the manufacturer.

what's that old saying - my Mom used it all the time. "If you want something done right, do it yourself". I don't buy kits because of all the warnings from others. One gal asked me if I would make a quilt from a kit - she would buy the kit. I said, "nope, don't work with kits" and I explained why.
    I would not let this rest, that is too much money involved to just drop the matter. Definately take the kit back to the store and ask them to get the matter resolved. Good luck!

Regardless of who is to blame, if the manufacture wont step up and fix it then they have lost my business. I buy a lot of their fabric from the LQS and will just have to avoid it. I am one of those that are stubborn and gets things fixed and have spoken directly with many companies to get things resolved and see no reason this company cannot own up to a mistake they made.

It is like a slap in the face. I did take the time to email them and let them know that they have lost a customer in me and I have a big mouth and will tell everyone in my guild not about the mistake (they happen not a big deal) but about the poor customer service on such an expensive purchase.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by darlin121
    There is NOTHING quite like the power of the pen. I would write a letter to Northcutt. Letters are harder to ignore than emails and I have found that in dealing with these types of problems that letters can be VERY effective!
    And I would very politely give them the link to this topic, so that they know how many people are discovering what their customer service is like.

I agree that the power of the pen is mighty, but also believe the power of money is equal. I vote/support/ and speak the loudest with my $$.

As a newcomer I really appreciate the advice that has been given regarding this issue. As the saying goes word of mouth can make or break you. In the state that this economy is in, I would like to think that no company would like to have this kind of informaiton floating around for having this kind of behavior. There is strenght in numbers.

Poor response and customer service from both, IMHO ... the store should have taken them back (cut or not) to return to Northcott in the first place ... but the response from Northcott doesn't impress, either !
    The LQS has to stand behind products they SELL - and Northcott should stand behind THEIR products. I worked for a LQS (in the era before pre-cuts) If a fabric or item we sold was faulty we replaced it or reordered for the customer. No ifs ands or buts. The LQS needs to make it right for YOU, the customer - and Northcott replaces THEIR defective merchandise.
    * I've heard the same re. Bali Pops strips / Hoffman. On the other hand, I've used a lot of Moda precuts and never had a problem, except one charm pack with one miscut square.

I would take the strips back to the store cut or not and explain when you started to cut you realized they were not wide enough! My LQS would take them back and take the loss themselves rather than have a dissatisfied customer. Just talk to them and see what they have to say. It can't hurt.

Blog Entries
    I'm so sorry this happened!! I agree I would take the strips back to the store, cut or not, that's way too much money to just discard. I dithered on purchasing a 2.5" strip die for my studio cutter. I finally bit the bullet, and now I'm glad I did.

Quote Originally Posted by raedar63
    I would go higher up the chain with northcott, insist on speaking with the boss,the bosses boss, the bosses bosses boss etc.I do beleive you will get satisfaction. 80.00 bucks would be well worth a couple hours on the phone. Ifyou feel that you are not assertive enough have an assertive friend or I hate to say it but it works,a male make the calls. Do not hang up till you get satisfaction. They always have a "boss" above them, take names,. You may have to leave voice mails but don't give up they will get tired of it and issue a refund or yardage!
    I would also send emails to the CEO of the company.
    We've had to do this, but over an expensive camera. (My DH had to get involved.)We finally got our money back from the mfg. but it took many phone calls and then letter writing. The money was considerable (to us anyway) but it was mainly the principle.
    Good luck.

Blog Entries
    This is precisely why I don't trust anyone's cutting but my own. If a mistake is made, it has to be mine!! Cut or not, that store needs to take those strips back and send them back to Northcott. Faulty product is faulty product, if you cut some or not. You should not have to inspect the entire package of strips before using them. That's shameful!!

So a word to the wise....buy yardage and cut your own pieces!! It's cheaper, first of all, and if a mistake is made at least it's your own mistake!!

How terrible! If Northcott has any integrity at all they would reimburse you for the two and tell you keep the poorly cut ones...at the very least, replace them with straight cut stips. They certainly will lose customers...me for one. Thanks for the info.

I bought some from Joannes and they were the same way. But I sewed with them anyway and the quilt was ok. But they were CHEAP. I will not buy them again.

I have bought many by Moda and have had to trouble. I love to find them on sale.

Blog Entries
    Go to the store and talk to them, they seem to be nice and will understand. They want you to be happy to. Don't worry about the fabric being cut already.
    --------------------
    She lives in El Paso, TX and said that a friend took her to New Mexico, so this would not be a short drive.

She will have to do this by phone, mail, or email. And she should really mention this forum, with all us people who love to shop on the Internet, and who are watching our money. And a lot of us are strong minded old broads (and guys) who are fed up with being cheated!!!

Hello all. This morning I posted about the defective strips from Northcott, the Stonehedge strips. I sent an email to them today, even though I spoke to them yesterday I felt an email might get further. I got a call within the hour from Bernie at Northcott. He was very nice and I explained what the problem was. He asked me to please send the defective strips to him so he could see them, and is sending out replacements to me today.

This means so much to me because the quilt is to be a gift for my husband to take to Afghanistan with him on 11 April!

My faith in the human race has been restored.

Thanks Bernie!
    Michelle G.

Blog Entries
    I'm so happy for you!

Thanks to your hubby for his service, and you for supporting him.

YEAH!!!

I am so glad to hear this. Good for you for pursuing it.

Blog Entries
    I am so happy things worked out for you :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    Hurray! Prayers sent to you and your family. God protect your DH and may he return safely. We thank him for protecting our freedom.

It's it nice when things work out for a change.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast