Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: A Tale of Quality Customer Service From Northcott

:mrgreen: I fell in love with the new pattern Smokey River by Whirleygig Designs, purchased the pattern from Keepsake. Then a friend took me to N.M. to a quilt shop and they had the Stonehedge Strips, exactly what I needed to make this pattern! I needed two packaged, a light and a dark, at $40.00 EACH, but I was so thrilled not to have to order online. I started cutting yesterday and to my dismay, the strips are not straight, nor are they 2.5" in all areas! Some are only 2-1/8" and I must have 2.5 to do the quilt!
    I called NORTHCOTT who makes this fabric and they sold me to call the store! I said, but I purchased these strips in sealed packages, the store did not cut them. She said she would talk to her boss...and call me back. I called the store but of course they are not responsible, but appreciated the warning, they are going to inspect the remaining packages they have onhand.

NORTHCOTT did call me back to say I had to return all the strips to the STORE, and the store was responsible to return them to NORTHCOTT, and then they would determine if they should be replaced or not! :XD:

Well, I have cut the strips so they cannot be returned. I do not think the store should suffer for the mistakes NORTHCOTT has made. Furthermore, I think NORTHCOTT should be ASHAMED to have such poor customer service and I will NEVER purchase anything made by NORTHCOTT again. Meanwhile, I will never be able to make the Smokey River quilt the way I wanted to make it with the StoneHedge strips.

I am livid and I just want to warn anyone, if you buy packaged strips from NORTHCOTT, you better open them and inspect them before you pay for them. $80.00 for crooked, skimpy strips, can you beat that? :thumbdown:
    Michelle G.
    El Paso, Texas

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    That's terrible!
    But it seems like you got slammed twice.
    The store should take them back. They can then deal with the company.
    Thanks for the warning. I feel for you :(

That is a shame and miserable customer service from both.

Thanks for the heads up on this issue. Unfortunately , this miss cutting is not isolated to one manufacture. If I want a true cut strip , I cut my own. Yep they get a little tweeked at me .. at cutting counters, but once I explain why , the cutters always nod that they have experienced the same with the pre cut strips. So they will cut what ever I ask for. Maybe because they know me as a good customer, or just want to get me out of there. I get alot of 1/8 or 1/4 cuts for making my own 2.5 strips.

Senior Member twospoiledhuskies's Avatar
    Thank you so much for this information. I purchased the kit from Keepsake to make this quilt. I have numerous quilts to
    make ahead of this one. However, I will open the packages to make sure the fabric is accurate and be sure to contact them if it is not.

Thanks again for the heads up :thumbup:

Michelle, I've been using the June Tailor shape cut ruler and it's awesome!!!
    Let me find you the link.

http://www.junetailor.com/videos.htm

I got mine at Joann's with a coupon and LOVE it!

you should be livid, that is alot of money to spend for fabris that you can not use for the project you wanted it for, thanks for the warning and NORTHGATE should be ashamed of themselves.....shame shame shame....

I would go higher up the chain with northcott, insist on speaking with the boss,the bosses boss, the bosses bosses boss etc.I do beleive you will get satisfaction. 80.00 bucks would be well worth a couple hours on the phone. Ifyou feel that you are not assertive enough have an assertive friend or I hate to say it but it works,a male make the calls. Do not hang up till you get satisfaction. They always have a "boss" above them, take names,. You may have to leave voice mails but don't give up they will get tired of it and issue a refund or yardage!
    I would also send emails to the CEO of the company.

I just ordered this kit. I'm going to cancel until I know more, thanks for the timely heads up!

Blog Entries
    I'll understand that the fabric store is faultless, but nevertheless you do need to go through the store, to get to the manufacturer.

Go to the store and talk to them, they seem to be nice and will understand. They want you to be happy to. Don't worry about the fabric being cut already.

Give it a try, to much money and happiness are at stake here.

The store will pretty much have to send the fabric back, that's for sure, but I'm also sure, that you will get what you needed.

See all of this, doesn't need to be done in with bad feelings. May be from now on Northcott will better take care of their cuttings.

Go to the store, I know together it will get solved and everybody will feel better.

I do would like to see the quilt!

You are so sweet to send me that link, and I already have one! I was just trying to save myself time by buying the strips, I will never do that again...never! I needed so many lights and so many darks that the yardage was not available anyway, for me to cut my own strips. I am planning to weed out the strips I cannot use at all and try to find the yardage in that color. This quilt will end up costing me twice as much in the end. I guess it is an expensive lesson...if you want something done right, DO IT YOURSELF! lol.
    Michelle G.

Aw, thats alot of money, I would be upset too!

Quote Originally Posted by Lori S
    Thanks for the heads up on this issue. Unfortunately , this miss cutting is not isolated to one manufacture. If I want a true cut strip , I cut my own. Yep they get a little tweeked at me .. at cutting counters, but once I explain why , the cutters always nod that they have experienced the same with the pre cut strips. So they will cut what ever I ask for. Maybe because they know me as a good customer, or just want to get me out of there. I get alot of 1/8 or 1/4 cuts for making my own 2.5 strips.
    So true Lori! There have been threads on here about the Hoffman Bali Pops as well being mis-cut. Those are not inexpensive precuts either! You are right the only way to be sure of the quality of the cut is to do them yourself.

South Carolina; half hour away from Charlotte, N.C.
    Thank you for the June Tailor site. I love these tools!

Thank you for the warning! That is a lot of money.
    I also find this with strips they cut at LQS for kits.
    I like cutting my own and using the June Tailor ruler.

I'll bet you can fudge and still use those strips. Split the difference between the seam allowances and the amount they're off won't be as big.

Blog Entries
    Im sorry that happened to you. There is a Quilt Shop about 25 miles from here a lady in my sewing group said yesterday that she was in and they had a quilt on display that she wanted to buy the kit for and the lady told her that if she had the time, or wanted to come back, that she would cut all the fabric for her for the quilt. So the lady in my sewing group stayed and looked around the shop while the lady cut it for her at no extra charge. I guess the quilt shop was making kits and had just finished making the quilt and got it hung up when the lady went into the store so the kit hadn't been made up when she got there. So that was cool. And she also said, that if you want to make a particular quilt she has kits for or on display, if you don't want to use the colors of the fabrics in the kits, she is willing to cut what you need out of colors of your choice for a small fee. One day I want to go up there and buy one of her quilt kits.

I have bought a few jelly rolls- they were all awful.I will never buy precuts again.I am way more accurate at home.

There is NOTHING quite like the power of the pen. I would write a letter to Northcutt. Letters are harder to ignore than emails and I have found that in dealing with these types of problems that letters can be VERY effective!

My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA
    Blog Entries
    what a mess ! makes me wonder about all prepackaged stuff.

no answer for this either ! ouch !

Quote Originally Posted by lovingmama
    I'll understand that the fabric store is faultless, but nevertheless you do need to go through the store, to get to the manufacturer.

Go to the store and talk to them, they seem to be nice and will understand. They want you to be happy to. Don't worry about the fabric being cut already.

The store will pretty much have to send the fabric back, that's for sure, but I'm also sure, that you will get what you needed.

See all of this, doesn't need to be done in with bad feelings. May be from now on Northcott will better take care of their cuttings.

Go to the store, I know together it will get solved and everybody will feel better.
    Good advice - you shouldn't have to be $80.00 short because of manufacturer's error. Unfortunately there is the chain of command which has to be followed but I think it would be worth it in the long run. Customer satisfaction goes a long way with especially with rising costs.

Michelle, I know what you mean. Precuts are fun. The only ones I've ever bought were Moda and they were nice.
    I hope you don't get stuck with this bad fabric. I would think the shop would stand behind their merchandise even though it wasn't their fault.

Did you try the shop again? maybe if you go to them and tell them what Northcot told you to do they will help you out. it's not only bad for Northcot it looks bad on them as well. They may have access to other methods to get to the top there with the distributors that they use.

Quote Originally Posted by lovingmama

I do would like to see the quilt!

How awful this has happened to you.

I would definitely contact the store by phone and speak with the owner or store manager or both. Even though it is not around the corner from you the store should want to help to correct the situation. They should also know the problems with the pre-cuts so that they do not order them in the future. Ask if the store has any yardage of the fabric. They should be willing to send you some yardage of the fabric that you need if they have it available.

Do some careful checking to see if you can work around the narrow cuts. This may involve some additional figuring of pieces so take your time as you try to figure out a work around.

I have witnessed many problems with pre-packaged kits by the fabric companies. I don't generally purchase these anymore. This is not generally the case of kits put together by quilt shops. Although shops have been known to make mistakes from my experience they are ready to do whatever is necessary to correct the situation.

I'd also like to comment that the fabric chains are having more of these pre-packaged kits. The higher management think that they can save the labor costs of having people in the store to cut yardage fabric for us. The higher management are not typically sewers or quilters so they don't seem to understand.

Pam M

I do as Lori S does. It isn't only Northcott. This is the one main reason I don't buy pre-cuts, plus you're paying boocoo bucks for them cutting them and they don't really seem to care.

I would send or take them back to the store, let them take care of Northcott, regardless of the fact that you've already cut them. You have paid a great deal of money for the pre-cuts the least they should be able to do is to cut them accurately.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast