Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Totally bad experience at LQS

Blog Entries
    yikes. they wont' be in business very long. at least the owner wasn't worried. she will have a rude awakening when she can't afford to continue to pay those lazy workers.

Blog Entries
    WOW, and that is why some LQSs end up closing their doors because customers are voting with their wallets.

I recently went to an LQS close to work and I just needed some addition for the UFO. The owner helped me decide on selecting and when she found out that it was for community service, she asked if I had checked the sale bin. We actually did find the perfect fabric at 40% off. I so appreciated that she was not greedy. I bought more than I wanted to AND I will go back.

I have a bunch of mean nasty names in my mind for these blankity blank people.

I think it is horrible! I don't always carry a Coach purse when i go shopping, I don't always comb my hair (somtimes I put on a hat) especially if I am having a busy day. But just because i didn't take 2 hours to get ready, doesn't mean I can't afford to buy anything.

AND even if I CAN"T buy anything, whats the harm in looking and asking questions? Doesn't sound like they were too busy.

Grrrrrrrr

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
    When we first moved here, my husband owned a red pickup truck. During nice weather, I drive around with the windows down and I like to listen to the stereo. As I was walking into the local salon, my daughter was going to having her hair done. I overheard a lady talking to another woman about me. She said there was a new family in town and the woman drives around blasting that awful rock and roll music. I turned the corner and said..it was Metallica and I would appreciate not being the topic of beauty parlor gossip queens.
    They sat there with their mouths hanging open.
    What a pity those ladies didn't share your great taste in music - I love Metallica. :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    Today I drove 40 miles to my LQS. They were busy but just as soon as possible they were helping me. They aslo stateted that certain fabrics would be 50% off on Monday and may I would like to wait to purchase then. What a surprise to tell of an upcoming sale when you are ready to buy right now. Now that's service.!

I went to a shop in Austin when I was first looking for a machine. Having never sewn, I thought I had better start out with a used and work myself up. I'm looking at the less expensive models and a saleswoman comes up and asks what I am looking for. I told her and she takes me over to this exhorbitantly priced machine. I told her that was out of my budget and she replied, "Well don't you have family or someone that could help pay???" I turned around and left.

Blog Entries
    Why must quilt shops have this attitude with customers they know nothing about? I have been to a quilt shop (out of state) several times and have never particularly felt welcomed even though I had bought from them in store and online several times. The last time, I went to the owner's home where she has set up a shop since she closed her store. The owner and her assistant made me feel like I should have bought more fabric than I was buying. Apparently spending less than $100 was not appropriate. I felt diminished as I walked away and swore never to buy from that store again. I came home and deleted my acct from the online store as well. I won't be surprised if they've gone out of business.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Wow, these stories are simply amazing!!
    As the saying goes, " It takes all kinds".
    I would think in this awful economy people would
    be tripping over each other to make a sale but
    there appears to be a lot of apathy around :(

Blog Entries
    I used to own a flower shop in a little 'two store' strip. Since the shop next to me was a mini-mart/liquor store there were always guys going in and out all day long. I always put signs in my window for the daily challenge (which happened be right next to their door so their customers couldn't miss it):

If your wife's name is ______, pick up her free rose.
    Serenade the owner with your favorite song and get a free ______
    Recite your favorite nursery rhyme and get a free _____
    Give your best Elvis impression and get a free ______
    If your name is _____ pick up a free spring bouquet
    If you can make the owner laugh and you get a free _____
    Come tell us a knock-knock joke and get a free _____
    Come in wearing a cowboy hat and get a free ____
    If you can name all of the 7 dwarfs you get a free ____
    If you are wearing (color) you get a free _____
    Bring your mom in on Sunday and she will get a ____
    Show me your church bulletin and get a free ____

I can't remember them all. They were all goofy things. Every day it was something different and some people would come buy just to see what we had going on that day. I can't remember all of our 'challenges' but we had about 50 of them. Our customers became our friends. Some of them even suggested some of the 'challenges'. It was fun and selling a perishable product, giving away free flowers kept our inventory rotating and fresh.

I remember the proms and weddings and funerals. People couldn't always afford what they wanted but we'd work with them and many times, surprise, we could produce 'coupons' for them. Gotta keep them coming back or you're out of business. It was a sad day for me when I sold my shop. The new owner was out of business a year and a half later.

Boy do I miss it.

Blog Entries
    You know, QS owners could do similar challenges and give FQ's for prizes, or spools of thread, or whatever they have in their back rooms to get rid of, or coupons for percentages off purchase. If your purchase is over (dollar amount) pop a balloon and inside is a discount coupon. So many things to do to generate sales. But #1 - always greet your customer and offer assistance.

Blog Entries
    For sure! What a nice LQS......wish they were near by!

Quote Originally Posted by erstan947
    Today I drove 40 miles to my LQS. They were busy but just as soon as possible they were helping me. They aslo stateted that certain fabrics would be 50% off on Monday and may I would like to wait to purchase then. What a surprise to tell of an upcoming sale when you are ready to buy right now. Now that's service.!

Quote Originally Posted by RevPam
    I am appalled at the treatment you both received, but it isn't just LQS's. Unfortunately, there are many retail establishments that discourage the customer's business. It's so sad.
    Any business is only as good as the help they employ and the only thing a smaller business has to compete with other retailers is their SERVICE.

Its a shame businesses are not more friendly to their customers. We are their bread and butter. I prefer to shop locally at a LQS, to promote the small businesses in my area.
    I can't see how shops like the one you entered will be in bussiness very long. Quilt shops should have a friendly and
    helpful atmosphere. I would not go back to this shop either.

I would never go back either. And me, being me, would offer them the reason WHY I wouldn't go back (but I'd try and be nice about it). What an awful experience you had.

Super Member Central Ohio Quilter's Avatar
    Two years ago I was in a "nice" quilt shop in Ohio, and I paused my fabric browsing to watch an employee demonstrate to someone else a beautiful new machine with all of the bells and whistles on it. As she finished talking to the one person she asked me if I was interested in trying out the machine. I told her – no thanks. I was happy with my machine that I have. She asked me what kind of machine I used and I (rather proudly) told her that I still use the Singer that my parents bought me for high school graduation 38 years ago. She got a SHOCKED look on her face and yelled (yes – YELLED!) across the store at another employee – “She is still using a sewing machine she got in high school!!!!! She then turned to me and in an extremely condescending tone said – “You really MUST get a NEW machine!!! I just can’t imagine that you are still using a machine THAT old!”

I suppose she was trying to embarrass me into getting a new sewing machine, but I thought at the time that, even if I was in the market for buying a new sewing machine, that woman would have been the LAST person I would have bought one from. She was rude, rude, rude!!!!!

My quilt buddy has a steadfast rule: If you aren't greeted when you walk in the door ----- turn around and leave because they don't want or deserve your business anyway!!!! We travel fulltime and believe me, we have walked out of several LQS because of her "rule". There are many, many shops that are very freindly and welcome you when you walk in the door. We love to shop at those places.

Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic
    Simply unbelievable. In today's economy no store can afford to operate like this. It was rude and unprofessional. Not only that but if a less then honest person walked in it sounds like they would have had ample time to rob the place blind.

On a few occasions I have walked into a small business with door chime and no one around, I like to call out hello until someone acknowledges me. When they come out to say can I help you, if I am browsing, I say I just wanted to let you know I was here and make sure you are ok.

However what you described that ploy would have had no impact either. Wow, just wow. Well I guess they must be one of the few places doing well enough that they don't need the business. Good for them, enough treatment like that to potential customers and they won't have any business.
    Well said and I agree. I too would have yelled out a hello and if they answered said, "I was just making sure you were all right and not laying on the floor dead from an intruder since you did not hear me come in". Not nasty, but sure gets the point across. Then I would have walked out. You are NOT obligated to buy anything, so make your point and leave.
    The next shop you go into that gives you better service, just be sure to let them know how much you appreciate it.

I am alway's reminded of the scene from Pretty Women when Vivian walks into the upscale womens store and is scourned and thrown out for wearing the clothes she has on for her 'profession'.
    SHe then gets help from Bernard and his lady friend at another womens store and buys thousands of dollars in clothing and accessories. She walks back to the first store in all her finery and they fall all over her willing to now help the well-dressed Vivian. She reminds them they would not help her and how big a mistake that was. I love that scene.

I am sorry this happened, but I must say not all LQS are this way ... my LQS is the bomb (Best Friends Quilt Shoppe in Cincinnati, OH) ... and I must say I've been well treated by the owner and several of the employees ...

Super Member Central Ohio Quilter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wvdek

I am alway's reminded of the scene from Pretty Women when Vivian walks into the upscale womens store and is scourned and thrown out for wearing the clothes she has on for her 'profession'.
    SHe then gets help from Bernard and his lady friend at another womens store and buys thousands of dollars in clothing and accessories. She walks back to the first store in all her finery and they fall all over her willing to now help the well-dressed Vivian. She reminds them they would not help her and how big a mistake that was. I love that scene.
    This discussion was reminding me of that scene from Pretty Woman also! I love that scene, too! "Big mistake! Big! Huge!"

My my! I don't blame you one bit for not going back---that is how we little people can make our voices heard!

Awwww, what a fun person you must be!!! Cute challenges, cute way to entice people and a cute way to gain customers!

Blog Entries
    Sounds like my LQS in the next town but I notice you live in LA. I once asked about the classes that they had posted on the door and she said to go find the flyer on the counter. Needless to say I felt as if I wasn't welcomed and never shopped there again even though it is the closest to my home.

Power Poster
    A lot has to do with HOW something is said, as much as with WHAT was said.

Sounds like one here. I go there all the time (it's the only quilt shop in town) and they NEVER acknowledge that I've even entered the store, they never say thank you when I leave or acknowledge that I'm walking out the door. I'm really starting to think they can't see me! So I've decided to look at fabrics there and order them online. Can't believe that anyone in this economy would be so bad at customer service. I would love to open my own shop, but am a newbie myself! I would definitely be an expert in customer service though.

My mother used to say...."oh well honey, just consider the source."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast