Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
TRUE COST OF MAKING A QUILT >

TRUE COST OF MAKING A QUILT

TRUE COST OF MAKING A QUILT

Old 05-27-2011, 08:14 PM

Nope..and I also didn't include the 200.00 for making the quilt top...my bad... thanks for pointing out the hand quilting part.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Gerbie
I think I will enlarge this and hang it with our quilts at the Fall Fair in Oct. Just to give everyone who comes in to view them and idea of what they cost and why one can't make one overnight.

I did speak with a young man who said he had always wanted a quilt and had looked at some in stores but he didn't like them, and knew that they were just assembly line produced so to speak. He ask me if I made quilts for the public, and when i told him no, that people really wouldn't want to pay what they were worth. I told him the story about a lady at work asking what I would charge for a DWR like the one I made for my daughter several years ago. When I informed her that I wouldn't do another like it for less than $1,500.00, this young man informed me that he would be willing to pay that or even $2,500 for a "handmade" quilt he called it, because he knew it would be quality made and definitely worth the price. I almost fell over with his remark, most people would have laughed and said "no way would I ever pay that kind of money for a quilt". He ask me to think about making him one, which I may do later on, but not right now, too busy trying to get my quilts going for Christmas.
Might pay for lots of stash and other gifts....IMHO
Old 05-27-2011, 08:58 PM

Just last year a friend of mine wanted twin size quilts for her 5 children, I told her I'd charge her for the material's plus 20 for labor and other costs, when I quoted her 75-150 per quilt depending on pattern and quilting, she didn't talk to me for 3 months. Guess she figured I was trying to take her for a ride!

My husband was also very shocked when he first heard me give estimate to people on the material cost of the quilts, to get started before an labor went into them!
Old 05-27-2011, 09:34 PM

All of my quilts are donated and I spend at least $800 - $1000 per year for fabric and batting. I usually get a large share of fabric at garage sales. I'd croak if I had to buy all my fabric at retail! I keep track of every cent I spend for tax purposes.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by okiepastor
I spent nearly 600 hours hand quilting a 42 x 48" wall hanging for my daughter--it is reversible.....think I could have done a quilt in that time--it was very intricate!
The charity quilts I make are quickies, so I can make more, but the embroidered quilts I am about to sash and finish finish will have about 1000 hours of time in them...
Holy hevay metal Batman! That's like quilting for an entire month straight!
Old 05-27-2011, 10:30 PM

Going to print this out and put with each quolt I make. If the quilt is a gift they will know how much I love them to spend that much money and time on them. If its for sale then people will know what a bargain they are getting since I could never charge that much for my time since I enjoy quilting, if I give it for charity then they know where to start the bidding. Reading this thread and the one about feed back on quilts given as gifts made me realize how much we don't value ourselves or our work. We will overpay for things we want that are from well know lables or stores but put little value on what we do. Handmade or homemade used to mean something.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:40 PM

I will print this calculation out and hang it on the wall in my sewing room! And calculating the prices in Euro would add another 20%. I order almost all my fabric from the states, that's cheaper than buying fabric in Germany. And speaking of quiltshops in Germany: they are few and far between - but we do have them!!
Greetings from Germany! Tirolgirl
Old 05-28-2011, 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by goosepoint
I may print this out and put it with every quilt I have and send it to my 3 girls whom already have 2 a piece. When I am called 'home' one day they can look back and maybe appreciate my 'hobby'. I commented one time that it was cheaper therapy making quilts than it was going to a 'head' doctor and taking Xanex and Valium. I just maybe wrong about that.
I agree; my quilts and other sewing are my therapy for constant difficult and chaotic work days. I can't put a price on the return I receive. You did not add the cost of a long arm quilter which I know some of us use but your other calculations are right on, if I did not receive such personal enjoyment, I would take up a much less expensive hobby. I know the quilts I donate help others find solace and comfort. Again, it is hard to put a price for that. The other enjoyment I receive is being a part of a large community of people who enjoy quilting. The board has helped me in more ways that I can count; without quilting, I would not have been able to know such wonderful on-line "friends".
Old 05-28-2011, 03:40 AM
Banned

Jan - THANKS for pointing out this is for HAND quilting - I had assumed it HAD to be. I hand quilt & when I 1st started back in the 80's, really never heard or seen of much machine quilting in the general quilting world - only in the commercial.

When I 1st joined this board a couple of mo's ago I was AMAZED to hear the numbers of completed quilts by individual quilters. Then it finally dawned on me they've got to be machine quilted! (ole timers some times slows me down).

Boy was I relieved - I was really doubting myself & thought I had to be the slowest quilter in the world. Before uncle Arthr-itis visited so much - & I was in "prime quilting form" - I could do maybe 12-15 lg size quilts a yr. w/a few smaller projects thrown in!

No matter how they are finished, to me quilts still represents being wrapped in warmth & love.

Have a blessed holiday week end & may all your quilts be filled w/love.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:46 AM

I would post those prices in a prominent place for people to see. That's very much an eye opener...
But then you have the jerks who say "skill to sew? I can sew that." at which time you tell them..."go for it"
I don't sew for the public any more for this very reason... I have a BS in Apparel Design with 30 years experience.