Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
TRUE COST OF MAKING A QUILT >

TRUE COST OF MAKING A QUILT

TRUE COST OF MAKING A QUILT

Old 05-29-2011, 09:01 PM

Wow Rita, that is wonderful that you got that money, what size of quilt were they?
Old 05-29-2011, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by keesha_ont
I have been asked to make quilts after seeing the ones I have done - I have sold 3 on commission and each went for over $1000.00. Of course, fabric here is much more expensive.
Wow Rita, that is wonderful that you got that money, what size of quilt were they?

( Sorry for the doulbe post)
Old 05-30-2011, 12:39 PM

I enjoy quilting and yes it does cost some money. But, it gives me pleasure and keeps me busy. I give all of them away for gifts. Maybe one for me here and there not very often. I would never pay that much money even thou I know how much is put into a quilt, some more than others. Just my opinion :-D
Old 05-30-2011, 11:48 PM

A quilter says she won't pay the true cost of a quilt, how are we suppose to get the public to respect our work. If I liked a quilt and it went with my decor I would buy it. Sure I could check it out, find the pattern, hopefully same fabric and make it myself but it wouldn't be the same. I would buy the quilt because I loved it just as I would any other piece of art, clothing, home decor, whatever.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:10 AM

Pete:
Very interesting figures. Would you e-mail me off line. I want to explore an idea I have.

Thanks,

Sandy

[email protected]
Old 06-03-2011, 06:48 AM

Nice estimate, but you forgot all the cutting, time to travel& gas, also time to pick out fabrics, have them cut & paid for.I'm sure someone could think of even more.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:47 AM

it can be difficult to figure out a good price to charge for your work. when i was making clothing (i had a boutique children's clothing business), my prices were more than one can buy clothing at walmart but my clothing was also better made, better materials, nicer looking and woth every cent i charged. but my clothing was also tailored to the child's needs so many parents were willing to pay my prices.

i remember making a daisy kingdom dress for my niece and a neighbor saw it and wanted one for her daughter. i had put over $80.00 in materials alone in that dress not including labor. the mother wanted the dress for her daughter and paid for it.

i will be charging for quilts soon so will do my best to keep track of costs and price accordingly. i have seen quilts at art fairs that sell for well over $2,000. folks are buying them though.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:13 AM

It's true. What is the price to charge if you actually do want to sell them?

Some get "truer" prices, while I was at a Harvest Festival recently and the vendor was selling what they claimed were handmade quilts for $29 for a lap to $350 for a queen size. However, the work and fabrics looked so-so and most of the quilting was very basic.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:37 PM

you forgot to add in the cost of electricity to run your machine and light your work area!!
Old 09-21-2011, 11:00 PM

You left out the cost of pain and suffering, lol. I am only half joking. I went on facebook (THAT *%!#%&#!!* PLACE) today to see if a few friends and relatives had been on, and all the changes drove me straight to my sewing machine. I dragged out my red fabric and muslin patterns, and I started working on my Christmas outfit for Taffy, my chocolate doxie.

It is all done, except for the buttons and button holes, because I have to change threads again, and I fitted it on Mindy, to see if the same size vest would work (it will). But it made my stubborn old shoulder scream in agony just from those few hours of sewing. I can just imagine what hours and hours of quilting must do. So I think you need to add a reasonable surcharge for Pain and Suffering, lol.