Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
TRUE COST OF MAKING A QUILT >

TRUE COST OF MAKING A QUILT

TRUE COST OF MAKING A QUILT

Old 05-28-2011, 03:59 AM

I knew it was a lot but not the true price. The gifts I have given are/were worth a LOT more than I was thinking.
D
Old 05-28-2011, 07:06 AM

just wanted to add into your chart.. needles, changing them often adds to the cost...and OMG, when that rotary blade gets dull.it's time to change that also.......

Those two will add to your total........you can retire after one quilt

that is, if you can find someone to pay you the going rate......
Old 05-28-2011, 07:59 AM

This sure does give me some self worth. I don't quilt for a business but do it for friends and family as a gift. I do tell them the approximate value of each quilt I make and say. This is to let you know the value for insurance purposes. They are usually shacked till I tell them just the cost of fabric, and then I tell them how long it took me to make the quilt and the cost of sending it out to be quilted on a long arm. I can no longer hand quilt. By the time I am finished, they know how valuable a gift they are receiving. Jan
Old 05-28-2011, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
Originally Posted by margecam52
Queen quilt:
Materials:
Fabric 12 yds at 10 a yard, 120.00
Batting 14.00
Thread 6.00 *includes thread to quilt it with.
total materials 140.00

Time to quilt, 12 hours @ 20.00 = $240.00

So, about $380.00 to make you a queen size quilt.
No way it would take 70 hours to quilt. I make quilts using my Qbot & freehand custom... A simple panto or stars n loops would take about 4 hours...6 hours tops.

I don't count the time staring at the top, figuring out what I want to put on it.

Marge
Did you not notice this quilting cost referred to HAND quilting? Not all quilts are done on longarms; or even home domestic machines.

Jan in VA
True, but I can't think of any "handcraft" that actually pays $20/hour for something actually detailed. Counted cross stitch takes hours and hours and people sell them on ebay or yard sales for a pittance.

Maybe painters/sketchers who do portraits at county fairs will clear $20/hour easily. But knitting/crocheting, tatting, lace making, cross stitch, embroidery, sewing, quilting, etc. ?
Old 05-28-2011, 02:45 PM

[quote=justflyinginTrue, but I can't think of any "handcraft" that actually pays $20/hour for something actually detailed. Counted cross stitch takes hours and hours and people sell them on ebay or yard sales for a pittance.
quote]

There are the woodworkers and hand carvers who get at least that much an hour, and for typical skilled labor in any area the bidding usually starts at 20 per hour.

I attended a home business seminar a few years ago and one of the points they brought home was how little people who are in the "home" businesses usually charge people for their labor. If we were going to hire someone to hand quilt a quilt for us we'd be willing to pay 20/hr for an heirloom quality piece.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:24 PM

That's one of the reasons I stopped sewing for others for profit. Course if we add up all the hours we put into refurbishing vintage sewing machines we'd be getting about that.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:33 AM

Where is the backing material listed? I didn't see it in the list of here is the cost.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:43 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I noticed these two comments here:

1. "... I could never charge that much for my time since I enjoy quilting,...."

2. "... I can't think of any "handcraft" that actually pays $20/hour for something actually detailed. Counted cross stitch takes hours and hours and people sell them on ebay or yard sales for a pittance. Maybe painters/sketchers who do portraits at county fairs will clear $20/hour easily. But knitting/crocheting, tatting, lace making, cross stitch, embroidery, sewing, quilting, etc.?"

To the first, I question...does that mean you can't/aren't/ shouldn't be paid equal wage for a job that you enjoy? I mean, my niece is a nurse, my DD is a 5th grade teacher and they both adore their jobs. Should they not be paid the same as someone who does not enjoy it? I'm sure this isn't what you really meant, but, as a group, as home quilters, as artists, we all too often undervalue what we do simply because we enjoy it, or are self-taught, or don't get to do it every day, or compare ourselves unfavorably with what we perceive as 'the competition", or whatever reason.

To the second question I note.....The quilters who are making a living at this art do not accept pittance pay for their valued labor/designs/creations. They get better pay because they expect better pay and appreciation. I really do believe we get what we expect.

If we keep doing what we've always done, we'll keep getting what we've always gotten.

I challenge each of those being asked to, or thinking of making, quilts for pay to add 10% more this year to any price they quote. And next year make it 15% more! If we did this all over the country, maybe, just maybe, we'd slowly begin to influence the public, and our families, and incresase our stash fund just a bit.:-D

Jan in VA.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
Originally Posted by margecam52
Queen quilt:
Materials:
Fabric 12 yds at 10 a yard, 120.00
Batting 14.00
Thread 6.00 *includes thread to quilt it with.
total materials 140.00

Time to quilt, 12 hours @ 20.00 = $240.00

So, about $380.00 to make you a queen size quilt.
No way it would take 70 hours to quilt. I make quilts using my Qbot & freehand custom... A simple panto or stars n loops would take about 4 hours...6 hours tops.

I don't count the time staring at the top, figuring out what I want to put on it.

Marge
Did you not notice this quilting cost referred to HAND quilting? Not all quilts are done on longarms; or even home domestic machines.

Jan in VA
I do not think you can do anything but a simple design in 12 hours! I know most of the Amish quilts take at lest 30-40 hours....and they are VERY experienced!
Old 05-29-2011, 06:54 PM

What about insurance on them?