Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Value of wedding quilt for my son >

Value of wedding quilt for my son

Value of wedding quilt for my son

Old 08-20-2012, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by ecmoore View Post
When my husband and I were getting married, it was a very low-key . I like quilts, quilting means something to me, so I made my own, and it was our gift to "us". .
ecmoore, your quilt is beautiful, I really like the spiral effect. And what a treasure.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:02 PM

My SIL made a beautiful batik quilt for my daughter for her wedding gift, I tried to tell her what a huge gift it was in words.
I did not feel that worked, so I pulled up some online quilts done in batiks that started at $1200. When I showed her the
pictures she remarked "Aunt Connie"s is much nicer than those......I had no idea how much it was worth!"
Old 08-20-2012, 02:24 PM

My sister gave me a Longaburger basket one year for Christmas. After she explained to me that it was a quality basket and how it was made and all that then I understood what she had given me. If she hadn't told me I probably would have thrown it in the closet someplace and not thought about again. But since I know what a Longaburger basket is now, it has a place of honor on my dining room table and use it all the time.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:02 PM

I go through this every time I give a quilt. People who don't know better will just throw a baby quilt in the washer and dryer. Would anyone believe a crib quilt has $150.00 in it on top of your time. I always give care instructions hoping they get the hint. After that when I see the quilt, I look for signs of accelerated wear from washing and drying etc. I certainly want them to use the quilt but I also want them to appreciate the value.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:27 PM

I am a little surprised that quilters are so reluctant to be up front about their quilts. In another thread I told how I asked for a quilt back and am making another for a nephew and his wife, one more to their taste (the first one was won in a raffle). Why should the fact that the quilt is absolutely not to their taste stand between us. Someone else will want it and if they kept it anyway it would always be a problem (an in-the-closet one).

We make quilts for creative outlet and for love, and sometimes for money for a raffle. If the fit of quilt to person isn't right then that's OK. For one "auction" I donated 5 lap quilts but told them they had to have a minimum of $70 per quilt because that is the actual cost of those quilts (fabric, batting, thread, percentage of annual machine cleaning, etc.). They put the price at $100 each and they all sold. The school felt good and I felt good and will probably do more this next year. The point being, speaking up isn't bad... it can make everyone feel better.

Usually I talk to the person for whom I intend to make a quilt (DIL right now) and ask what that person wants (ocean, blue, etc.) But recently I held my breath when I gave my sister a "fun" quilt as a surprise and she absolutely loves it. I could breath right away . But if she had been hesitant I would have talked to her later and told her I'd make one more to her liking.

Quilts, especially for family, are made with love and love is never wrong. If they are not to the style and liking of the particular family/person, why not put them on your list of future quilts and take that one back and make them another? In my case it would be at least a year down the road, but that is better than awkwardness.

I'd tell them it's value, money-wise and evaluation-wise. I also tell them that if it doesn't fit in any way, I'd work with them on designing another. Family is worth everything. Why do we tip-toe so much. We all do, but it's nonsense. Now that I'm really old I see just what a mistake it is.

Last edited by Sierra; 08-20-2012 at 03:31 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Quilt27 View Post
I go through this every time I give a quilt. People who don't know better will just throw a baby quilt in the washer and dryer. Would anyone believe a crib quilt has $150.00 in it on top of your time. I always give care instructions hoping they get the hint. After that when I see the quilt, I look for signs of accelerated wear from washing and drying etc. I certainly want them to use the quilt but I also want them to appreciate the value.
Baby quilts get vomited on, get pooped on, have milk and formulae spilled on them frequently. How do you wash and dry them?
Old 08-21-2012, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
Baby quilts get vomited on, get pooped on, have milk and formulae spilled on them frequently. How do you wash and dry them?
Personally, I usually try to make my baby quilts that will be used and abused super sturdy, good fabrics, well quilted etc. And expect it to get worn by the time baby becomes a toddler, then I make another one to use and abuse.

But when I make a super special one I put a sleeve on the back with instructions on how to hang it. Like this one I made for a co-worker : http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t127524.html

I made a different science themed quilt that is a use and abuse type quilt: http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t127911.html

For me, it has to do with time spent, the number of people involved in making the quilt. The first one I had everyone at work that knew the father give me ideas on the greatest scientific discoveries and scientist. And I spent months embroiderying and drawing designs.

The second one, I just traced out of a book so it's easy to replace that one.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Quilt27 View Post
Please share the care instructions that you include with the baby quilts that you give as gifts. Thanks.

Old 08-21-2012, 02:58 PM

[QUOTE=Quilt27;5455114]I go through this every time I give a quilt. People who don't know better will just throw a baby quilt in the washer and dryer. Would anyone believe a crib quilt has $150.00 in it on top of your time. I always give care instructions hoping they get the hint. After that when I see the quilt, I look for signs of accelerated wear from washing and drying etc. I certainly want them to use the quilt but I also want them to appreciate the value.

Huh? How is one supposed to clean a baby quilt if not by washing and drying? Or are you expecting it to be put away (for what purpose?)
Old 08-21-2012, 03:07 PM

Some non quilters have no idea of the value of the fabric and the added value of the love and time and thought a quilter puts into a quilt. Keep the communication open with your DIL and son. If you feel comfortable saying something - say something to the fact that a quilt this size in Lancaster PA (per someone on the QB) has a price tag of $775, but that with each stitch you added love, and good wishes, and happy thoughts for their marriage - a one of a kind gift for a one of a kind couple.