Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Viking Sapphire Sewing Machine

Just came from the store where I bought this machine about 3 years ago. Really like the Sapphire and use it for piecing more than my Bernina. Was told that "because of Viking's declining quality" they had switched to Baby Lock machines. Has anyone heard this or did they just get a better deal with the Baby Lock people?

I would like to know because I have a sapphire 550 on layby at the Viking dealership. I have always used Vikings and my Scandinavia 200 doesn't have enough uumph to do mending on jeans. So am interested to hear from other Sapphire owners.

Some dealers make bad remarks about other machine brands. I always remark "Really, do you have proof of that?" Of course they never do. Remember when Viking and Pfaff were sold, it was gossiped that there wouldn't be anymore sold in the US. The truth is lots of dealers lost their contracts with Viking and Pfaff.

I would never hesitate to buy a Viking or Pfaff.

Blog Entries
    I like my Viking 875Q. I did go into a Janome dealership and they "mean mouthed" Vikings. Some months later I bought a used Janome embroidery machine and took it to him to have cleaned, and he grumbled about it too. He just wanted to sell a new machine I think!

Blog Entries
    I love my sapphire. DOn't believe what they say, the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

Quote Originally Posted by bobquilt3
    Just came from the store where I bought this machine about 3 years ago. Really like the Sapphire and use it for piecing more than my Bernina. Was told that "because of Viking's declining quality" they had switched to Baby Lock machines. Has anyone heard this or did they just get a better deal with the Baby Lock people?
    Sounds to me like they decided to sell Babylock because of a deal -are you having a problem with your machine?

They probably want you to trade in your machine for a Babylock

Blog Entries
    I love my Sapphire too! I haven't heard of any decline in the quality of Viking.

I don't think I will ever buy anything but a Viking!! I have a Daisy that is my workhorse, a serger and a Designer 1. Am very happy with all three!!! I see no quality problems!! I just finally found a pt job so hopefully can make it into full time..I really want a Diamond!

Ditto I have the Lily 545 and Husq SE...and would buy nothing else but Viking...I think they are the only brand with a copywrite on the sensor foot

I bought a brand ABC cabinet from a dealer a few years ago, they bad-mouthed brand XYZ, now they sell XYZ and bad mouth ABC. Just sayin'

Bought the Viking Sapphire 850 just after it came out. Hardly ever get to sew with it though because DD-in-law uses it nearly every day when she stops in to pick up her dogs (I'm the dog sitter) - after she has taught ESOL all day! Also have a Bernina 150 which cost more and has so few stitches compared to the Sapphire. Anyway, I would not bad-mouth either one of them.

I have a Sapphire 875Q - was my first computerized machine - I was scared to death of it - but once I got over that - I love it - I can't imagine using anything else.

Yes. The dealer that I got my 535 from no longer sells Husky. Found that out just this spring. He said that since they were bought out by Singer and they closed the Swedish factory and moved everything to China he's had a very hard time getting parts for the machines. My guy already had Baby Lock so he's looking at picking up either Pfaff or Bernina as his "high end" machines (the store across the street from him sells Janome).

Actually, because of the SVP buyout (do a search here for SVP) many dealerships are NOT carrying Pfaff or Viking anymore. It seems that unless a dealer has an agreement to sell only the one manufacturer, they aren't allowed to sell the machines anymore. My dealership, the largest in N. CA I believe, had their Viking and Pfaffs yanked because they also sell Babylock, Bernina, Janome and others. And yes, the decline in quality of both Viking and Pfaff since the buy out has been discussed at length here (again you can do a search).

Blog Entries
    ..."because of Viking's declining quality" they had switched to Baby Lock machines. Has anyone heard this ?
    I have NEVER heard this. I have been to Viking dealers in at least 4 states asking about machines. The Viking Designer (original Designer with D cards) is over 10 years old, I bought it used and saved $1,000 from new. I have never had any problems...knock on wood. I know some brands, like Singer which always had great reputations, now have their "inner parts" made in China - and not always to the best tolerances.

When some dealer bad mouths a brand, I ask for specifics. I usually get the made in China or nothing at all. Always a good idea to ask. BTW, my Mom just bought a used Viking +1 from 1995 with sewing and embroidery complete package - software that you can modify on a computer, 2 big embroidery hoops, embroidery software (8 packages), tons of feet, etc. for less than $500. and it works great!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I just bought the sapphire 830 and the dealer was very happy I picked the viking. I have another viking,the daisy and i just love sewing on them. I am taking classes to learn how to use it and she has several more in the store for sale. She never said anything about going to babylock but the old singer shop is now selling babylock instead of singer here.

I have a viking sapphire 870 and have had it for about 2 years. I love it and haven't thought about another machine since. The quality is definitely there. I have heard the "bad mouthing" of sapphires all over the net. I personally have not had that experience. I also have a babylock audrey that I use to take to guild meetings. I know this is a portable machine, and I like most of the features, but my goodness is it slow compared to my viking!

Blog Entries
    I had a singer that I purchased two years ago from QVC, it was $500 and a piece of junk. Never worked right, could not get a good stitch no matter what the tension, and the bobbin was hard to get to. I got rid of it after having it serviced twice in the first year. I Love, love, love my Viking sapphire, I don't think they can be beat. It's a wonderful machine.

love my vikings....................... :thumbup:

Love my older Pfaff, but have been learning my Brother sewing/embrodiery machine, mainly sewing, and am becoming very fond of it.

I can't believe that is true............I worked for Viking for years...I have heard they are in trouble financially tho.

Bought my Viking '500' almost 15 years ago. She goes into the shop every year for her physical and has never needed a repair. The man who does the work at the local Viking shop said that if he had to rely on the '500' to eat, he'd be a skinny man.

Sewing Machine dealers are like car dealers.......something about not wanting to admit that there may be another brand that rivals theirs. My answer to those people is "Aren't we lucky to have both out there to our choice".

Blog Entries
    Funny our viking dealers bad months baby locks

Blog Entries
    I have been working at a Sew and Vac for 2 weeks now. They sell Baby Lock and Viking. I've been learning these machines so I can sell them. I'm going to work with these questions this week.

I was a second generation of Singer sewer until I got a Designer II (2001) and now a Sapphire 875Q (2010)--love both Vikings. I sometimes think that the quality of Designer II stitches are better than with the Sapphire, but not sure.

I would not trade my Vikings for any other brand.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast