Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what to do? opinions please >

what to do? opinions please

what to do? opinions please

Old 07-07-2014, 09:05 AM

You say it's a gift, but it's not you. Is it the recipient? Will he/she love/enjoy/treasure it? If so, IMHO, go ahead and finish it. Is it the colors or the pattern? If you do decide to do a different quilt and can use the fabric, then do so. It really isn't "recycled", but repurposed.

Good luck.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:32 AM

do you think the giftee will like it? Have they had any input into the quilt, or is it a total surprise?

I would finish it, give it to them, and tell them that if they did not like it, they could exchange it for something they might like better. I bet you they will love it, though.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:29 AM

How frustrated you must feel....don't question yourself or you action anymore...if you truly feel this is not for them....for whatever reason.....give them a gift card or something "they" will be happy with and so will you in a long run.
Having said that, I am presuming you feel your work, effort, finished product, will be be completed appreciated? Been there and done that...my "quilting" gifts now go to others..."those" get gift cards as needed
Old 07-07-2014, 10:32 AM

Finish it and give it as a gift. I had one that tried my patience with every step. From cutting to sewing to quilting, everything was a problem. But I completed it, gave it away and they loved it. The frustration with certain quilts don't carry on to the receiver, unless we tell them.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:39 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
How frustrated you must feel....don't question yourself or you action anymore...if you truly feel this is not for them....for whatever reason.....give them a gift card or something "they" will be happy with and so will you in a long run.
Having said that, I am presuming you feel your work, effort, finished product, will be be completed appreciated? Been there and done that...my "quilting" gifts now go to others..."those" get gift cards as needed

Seem like good questions - and suggestions.

Have you promised "them" a quilt?
May we see a picture of it so far?

I like "plain" quilts -
Old 07-07-2014, 10:44 AM

Finish and add some couching, or applique to dress it up, beads, there are so many trims that can be added or be-jewel!!!!
Originally Posted by sharonve View Post
If it was me, I would finish it. After it is finished and quilted you may like it a lot more! You said the colors were "not you" but they may be "theirs". Sharonve
Old 07-07-2014, 11:01 AM

I say set it aside and make a different top you will feel good about giving. Later you can decide what to do with the original one: finish and use as a utility quilt, finish and donate to charity, or just use it as pieces and scraps in new quilts.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:45 AM

Is it the scale that's the problem? Some plain blocks don't translate as well from a small size to a large one. You could try putting small pieces on top to break up the blocks - see if that's it. If so, some excellent suggestions about applique, fancy quilting, threads, etc, already given would break up large expanses of one color.

I find that I usually have to systematically model one change after another until I find the one that transforms everything. Sometimes, it's just removing or substituting a color. Given that your top is sewn together, perhaps there is an addition that will turn it into something you love.

hugs,
Charlotte
Old 07-07-2014, 02:11 PM

It's seems like it's probably not worth the time and trouble to un-do so much. I'd finish the one and begin anew.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:32 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by azwendyg View Post
I agree with Sharonve, maybe you are not liking this quilt because the colors are not "you", but if the colors are "theirs" chances are they will like it. I'd say to go ahead and finish it, then you can decide whether to go ahead and gift it as intended, or save it for a future gift.
I agree, Finish the quilt. If they don't like it, I am sure that some charity would enjoying receiving it. There are charities that collect blocks, quilt tops or quilts and donate them to an area that had been devastated by Mother earth. I assume when you have lost all your possessions in an earthquake, flood, hurricane or fire, that any gift is appreciated that starts them on the path of recovery their lives.