Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
2015/16 birthday swap...candy style 2.5" >

2015/16 birthday swap...candy style 2.5"

2015/16 birthday swap...candy style 2.5"

Old 02-16-2015, 06:49 AM

Sheri R, My candy is all cut and I could not wait! Count it for your next birthday! Karen G.
Old 02-16-2015, 07:05 AM

I'm so excited! I finally got all my candy cut. I love the 15" square, 5 stacked up method!! I didn't do mine according to color because I picked the FQs and scraps little by little instead of all at one time. But it will still be a colorful bunch of fabrics!

Nora, tell me more about your big board ironing surface....I wonder if my DH would do that for me?!
Old 02-16-2015, 08:42 AM

most candies cut going to take alittle break from it for now but more then 1/2 done, I am not as talented as some of you who can cut layers and layers of fabric at the same time, mine seem to slip and then that is not productive cause end up having redo's. Right now been on the look put for nice birthday cards that aren't that expensive sine need alot, have been checking at the dollar store for boxes but no one seems to carry them, I know some of you make your cards but 1 I am not that talented and 2 dont really have that amount of time, so have to come up with another idea. What do you guys do?
Old 02-16-2015, 09:45 AM

Hi everyone, PeginCo asked about the big board my husband made for me. There are so many tutorials on-line and many different suggestions. Mine is 24"X54.5"...my ironing board is that long and I really just don't have room for longer. But, I'm loving the 24" width. He used 3/4" plywood(exterior grade)and cut it to that size. Then, he painted both sides (had the paint) and covered it with aluminum foil, 2 layers of 100% cotton batting (I purchased at JoAnn Fabric with a coupon--do not use polyester, it will melt) and I used the silver ironing board fabric. Stapled all down. There is tons of good information on this board (search for big ironing board). He found some type of "twisting latch" thing that I can twist and screw to the ironing board so it won't slip off. I love it, but it is heavy and I probably could have made it 24"X48"...that would accommodate width of fabric...but I like lots of room everywhere! Any flat surface in my house is immediately consumed! Everyone have a great day sewing!
Old 02-16-2015, 12:05 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by TPr9258 View Post
most candies cut going to take alittle break from it for now but more then 1/2 done, I am not as talented as some of you who can cut layers and layers of fabric at the same time, mine seem to slip and then that is not productive cause end up having redo's. Right now been on the look put for nice birthday cards that aren't that expensive sine need alot, have been checking at the dollar store for boxes but no one seems to carry them, I know some of you make your cards but 1 I am not that talented and 2 dont really have that amount of time, so have to come up with another idea. What do you guys do?
I buy pretty birthday cards for $.50 to a dollar... at the dollar stores, Fred's or anywhere they have them. They are just as nice as $4 cards! I always look for big ones so I can spread out all the candies inside without the card getting too thick to mail first class. Some people just lay out the candies on a piece of thin cardstock and then cover them with plastic wrap to keep them from shifting, and put that in a business sized envelope. I'd prefer not to get them covered in plastic, as it's a bit of a pain to take it off... but I got plenty like that last year and didn't turn any down, LOL! You just have to find what works for you.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:06 PM
Power Poster

I'm very excited about all the new people joining us this year! Looking forward to getting to know everyone better.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:51 PM

thanks sewbizgirl will have to do some looking around, here in Jersey we have just recently gotten a few Dollar Generals, they are the first of the so called Dollar Stores around here. I did pick up a couple today before the next snow storm tonight so I can work on fanning them in the card, how do you get them to not shift out of the card, when you try to get them in the envelope? guess its a talent I will have to get use too, lol
Old 02-16-2015, 02:52 PM

can you take a picture of the board for us new people kind of hard to imagine what it looks like, thanks
Old 02-16-2015, 04:13 PM

Well I threw my name in the pile - hope there is still room. Janice McC - its all your fault
Next week we will be back at a campground that has an awesome sewing room with large cutting areas and I will bring my stash and do some cutting. I like that I will be able to have the "ready"!
Old 02-16-2015, 04:23 PM

This swap is really shaping up nicely! Love the 17" wide quilter's ironing board hubby got me last year, really saves time on big swaps like this. Found really cute cards with glittered fronts at Family Dollar (8pk for $1.50) and there were 4 different patterns in each pack, 2 of each pattern, so who knows which birthday princess will get which pattern!
hugs,
dj