Boom 28 Holly

Old 10-26-2022, 06:54 AM

Ibex94, so pleased you like the block. 😀
Old 10-26-2022, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by terriamn View Post
Choosing the block and picking the fabric takes me way longer then the actual sewing of the block. Unless I am improvising then it takes me forever to line everything up

Janice perfect science block. I think some of the simpler blocks work best to showcase certain fabrics
For me, if I choose a block with Triangles, that's what takes me longer, because I usually end up having to take the stupid triangles out because something isn't measuring up right. I must have a triangle curse or something....
Old 10-26-2022, 09:21 AM

Have you tried the “magic 8” method of HSTs (triangles)? If you have to make a bunch of them , it’s an easy method as you work with squares. I always starch my fabric and sew slowly. I get very good results. Google it and you’ll get lots of links.
Originally Posted by LogCabin82 View Post
For me, if I choose a block with Triangles, that's what takes me longer, because I usually end up having to take the stupid triangles out because something isn't measuring up right. I must have a triangle curse or something....
Old 10-26-2022, 10:06 AM
Power Poster

Great blocks, MJP and TG! The two unusual trick-or-treaters made me laugh!
Old 10-26-2022, 12:03 PM

Been having a blast designing and stash shopping. Trying blocks I’ve never had a chance to do. Breaking out the flying geese methods. Doing great. Made a lone star years ago with no problems. So decided to make spider web….piece o cake. If you ever decide to do it, let me give you some advise….double wedding would be easier. After this, and no fat 1/8 left, I’m changing plans for Donald. He can throw a hissy fit. No way, not. Been there, done that, ain’t happening again. May even throw away the $25 ruler. It’s 12.5 inches square. I’m satisfied. And it lays flat! Time for a nap. I deserve it.
Old 10-26-2022, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by travelinggramma View Post
I take a long time with finding the pattern and making a block. I have made way too many mistakes on F8 !
Here are my blocks for Marcilee and Terriamn.

MJP - love how you used her busy fabric and added the applique. I will have to remember that!
Janice - your science fabric was a great match!
beautiful block travelinggramma. love love love
Old 10-26-2022, 01:14 PM

everyone has been so busy. I have 2 more almost ready to post. I love my blocks. I am trying to decided what I am gonna use for sashing on this quilt. It is gonna be very dark, but I think striking. Thank you all for your wonderful work.
Old 10-26-2022, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by mjpEncinitas View Post
This block is for Jayne.
I died laughing at this block. Great job!!
Old 10-26-2022, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by mjpEncinitas View Post
We have had a little Free library for about 10 years. During the pandemic we loaned out over 1000 books one year when the schools and libraries were closed down. The thrift stores were closed down too! We had to rely on donations and we ordered books online. Our library. Holds about 90 books, It’s geared towards kids, with only the top shelf holding paperback adult books. It was really good to have a way to contribute to the community during the pandemic.

We have also been the ‘Halloween Book House’ for many years. We get about 70 kids. I have about a 100 books for them to choose from and sort them into different categories: board, picture, chapter, teen and adult. It is so much fun to hear the kids yell: It’s the book house! They get to pick out whichever book they want and we get to see all the fun costumes.

I have a dinner party on the driveway: I serve two or three different soups and bread, very simple. BYOB. We don’t drink, so I always. Have mint flavored water too. We get between 10 and 20 people for dinner. I really love Halloween.

We have a wonderful Buy Nothing group. In early October 400 books were donated for the library and the Halloween extravaganza. With the books I already had, I have enough for Halloween and 2023. It took me about 8 hours to sort them all out. It was fun.
That sounds like a great fun Halloween and party. I would have love trick or treating at your house. I love to read.
Old 10-26-2022, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
You are definitely the Book Lady! In Tennessee, Dolly Parton has a foundation that gives one free book per month to every single child born in the state, up until they turn 6. It's a wonderful program and she is a wonderful person! The books are all the good classics, too, and age appropriate. Such a blessing.

I have finished all of my Boom Blocks, TA DA! Here are my last three:

First, Cut Glass Dish for Pet
Next is a science lab block for Ibex... the green is a pretty sage, tho it looks like mustard in the photo!
Lastly is the one I struggled the most with. Reba, I tried to make a modern block and this is the result! I looked up modern blocks online, and they have certain criteria. My block met 4 out of 8 and yet it's still weird. So sorry. Feel free to take apart and alter as desired!

Here's an article on Modern Quilts I read:
https://www.seasonedhomemaker.com/wh...-modern-quilt/
These are great blocks, I think of modern blocks are created from what is in your heart.