Boom 28 Holly

Old 12-07-2022, 08:50 AM
Power Poster

Janice, just keep practicing. You get better and better at stitch length conformity the more you do. "Puddling" the quilt is the key to having no pull on it while you work. You just keep moving your puddle. Sounds like you have the perfect top to practice on! My sts tend to be bigger rather than tiny, but they work.

Lstew, I have a piece of the frog fabric that is about 2.75" wide by 10" long. If you can use it I'll be happy to send it. But honestly, I doubt anyone would know there was anything done wrong in the block if you didn't tell them. It just looks "modern" to me.

Old 12-07-2022, 10:05 AM
Power Poster

Travelinggramma, your blocks have arrived! They look beautiful, too.

Here is my roster of shipments received. Still plenty of time to finish up, but please be mindful of all the online ordering going on right now, and how clogged the postal system is. Allow extra shipping time!

Janice McC received
Terriamn received
Sewbiz received
Bibliostone
Hav4boys received
MJPEncinitas received
RebaQuilts received
Ibex
Travelinggramma received
Marcialee received
Petthefabric received
Lstew2212
Cheesehead in transit
LogCabin received
Klaws
JayneW received

Old 12-07-2022, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Janice McC View Post
Question: when you quilt your tops, what is your usual stitch length? I’m going to start working with my unquilted tops and I’m not sure what is considered “normal” using a walking foot. I’m planning to stitch parallel lines more or less, not in the ditch. My inclination when working in the ditch is to take small stitches but I thinking longer would be better for parallel lines. All comments appreciated!
Using a walking foot is different than FMQ (free motion quilting on your domestic, sit down or longarm machine). You don’t need a stitch regulator when you use a walking foot. The walking foot takes care of it. I use the same stitch length I do for piecing usually but you could easily go bigger. One thing that helps is to have your quilt supported on three sides. My sewing machine is on a big table and then perpendicular to the table on my left is a small smaller sewing desk that I use to rest a big quilt on. This site by Leah Day. (I know it says FMQ site but she’s also written a book about walking foot quilting) https://freemotionproject.com/2018/0...ng-basics.html. has a good picture of the different thread lengths. Note I never bury my thread ends, She shows how to do burying, that would be for competition quilts.

Craftsy also has two very good classes about quiltig with a walking foot.

Interestingly enough FMQ is generally much faster than using a walking foot once you become proficient. (I can just see SEWBIZ zipping along on her sit down machine). You need to slow down when using a walking foot. I learned to FMQ at the same time I started learning piecing. MY FMQ is much better than my piecing as Ive done a lot of whole cloth quilts. It’s good youre starting your own quilting with an old top.

I hope that helps.

Last edited by mjpEncinitas; 12-07-2022 at 02:48 PM.
Old 12-07-2022, 03:51 PM
Power Poster

I guess I glazed right over the part about using a walking foot, Janice. I was thinking FMQ, which is what I usually do. MJP gave you some good advice, including where to find online instruction on quilting with a walking foot.
Old 12-08-2022, 02:13 PM
Power Poster

Cheesehead's package arrived! Beautiful blocks, Cheese! So much prettier in person, as usual.

Janice McC received
Terriamn received
Sewbiz received
Bibliostone in transit
Hav4boys received
MJPEncinitas received
RebaQuilts received
Ibex
Travelinggramma received
Marcialee received
Petthefabric received
Lstew2212
Cheesehead received
LogCabin received
Klaws
JayneW received
Old 12-08-2022, 02:38 PM

So happy they made it to their destination, you never know about the USPS.
Old 12-08-2022, 07:32 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
So happy they made it to their destination, you never know about the USPS.
Amen to that, Cheese.
Old 12-09-2022, 08:13 AM

Hello all! Lots of fun blocks.

A bit of news... while I was in Encinitas over Thanksgiving I got ENGAGED! We planned it so 3 of our 4 combined kids could be there. Wedding will be August 5th here in Wyoming. AND if all of that is not exciting enough I'M retiring at the end of this school year!! Lots of fun changes (although a bit scary!). My boom sisters went through my divorce, so I'm excited to bring you along on this much happier journey!

The plan is a sailboat in 2024!
Old 12-09-2022, 09:39 AM

OMG CONGRATULATIONS! If you were here, I'd ask to see the ring ;-) Sailboat in 2024, thinking romancing the stone movie when he shows up with the sailboat and the alligator boot, LOL. That's just so wonderful! Hugs hugs hugs!!
Old 12-09-2022, 10:28 AM
Power Poster

Wonderful new, Jayne! CONGRATS! So glad to hear of this happy turn of events in your life. Woo hoo!!