Boom 30 - Autumn

Old 11-16-2023, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Janice McC View Post
I was waiting on the final package to be mailed but just got confirmation on USPS.com that something is on the way from WMUTeach’s hometown. I think all the remaining three are now in the mail. Let’s see how quickly they all arrive!
Yes, I dropped the package off this morning to my local post office. Yesterday I had the bag al packed, and about 4 stops on the docket and of all things.... I forgot the mailing address. Oh, DUH! It is on its way.

Going to be honest here, this Boom process made me nervous. I felt such pressure to be perfect and each block different that It really drove me to the edge. I swap blocks all the time without a blink of the eye. When I saw what was being produced, Man-0-Man, I felt incompetent. After time, I because to ease up on myself and began to see blocks that I could easily handle and enjoyed making. I now have a folder on my laptop of 12 inch squares for future use: Pat Sloan, Conquering Mount Scrapmore with Barbara (Free Pattern Friday), and Moda Blockheads as a few sources I found useful, but you all know those plus more and more and more.

It will be fun to see all my new blocks in person, in my hand and on my design board.
Old 11-16-2023, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by WMUTeach View Post
Yes, I dropped the package off this morning to my local post office. Yesterday I had the bag al packed, and about 4 stops on the docket and of all things.... I forgot the mailing address. Oh, DUH! It is on its way.

Going to be honest here, this Boom process made me nervous. I felt such pressure to be perfect and each block different that It really drove me to the edge. I swap blocks all the time without a blink of the eye. When I saw what was being produced, Man-0-Man, I felt incompetent. After time, I because to ease up on myself and began to see blocks that I could easily handle and enjoyed making. I now have a folder on my laptop of 12 inch squares for future use: Pat Sloan, Conquering Mount Scrapmore with Barbara (Free Pattern Friday), and Moda Blockheads as a few sources I found useful, but you all know those plus more and more and more.

It will be fun to see all my new blocks in person, in my hand and on my design board.
WMU Teach. I love searching various sites, watching you tubes, and collecting old quilting books that have 12 inch finished squares. I have a hard copies of all sorts of options to make the process less stressful because I felt that way too on my first Boom Swap. Now I have an 8.5x11 sheet of paper with color block, number of colors, number of pieces and their sizes, sizes to cut square for making 2 HST or QST, and a sample if possible of a completed quilt using just that block. Boy has that helped. Then my decisions just need to be what from my stash will work. I love Booms now!

I might start adding what direction to press seams as that still gives me fits sometimes!!
Old 11-16-2023, 04:50 PM

WMUTeach, I’m sorry to hear you felt such pressure to be perfect. Good heavens, the only hard and fast “must” is a 12-1/2 inches square block. There are all skill levels in most Booms and I always hope participants will make what they are comfortable making. I actually discourage extensive stretching in Booms because it seems to stress people too much. When I look through the gallery I see all kinds of blocks, simple classic ones to paper pieced marvels. Me, I’m definitely more comfortable with traditional pieced blocks and will usually make those. I hope you will join the Boom again in the future The second go round is usually more relaxing.

I just changed out my blades in my rotary cutters. One is for fabric only and the other I use when pp’ing to sliver trim, often cutting paper as well as fabric. Good grief! Why do I wait so long to change out blades? It’s like slicing through butter now. I keep my needles in too long, too. These are all the least expensive upgrades to make regularly and yet I don’t do it as often as I should.

So I looked at my schedule and if all packages arrive by Monday, I’m going to shoot for a Saturday shipping date. With all the prep and cooking for the holiday and then cleanup on Friday, Saturday is probably a reasonable date. We’ll see. I’ll keep you all informed here.
Old 11-17-2023, 02:04 AM
Power Poster

A2P, great finish! Your blocks are wonderful and thanks especially for mine. Love that star! BTW, it was mislabeled for Lstew, but it's mine.

I don't know if I have a favorite book genre... history, maybe? The books I am currently reading are all by Jonathan Cahn, and he writes about Bible prophecy of the end time, and also our modern time. So interesting! I usually listen to podcasts while I sew or drive for any length of time. Those are mostly political topics....

Hope everyone is ready for Thanksgiving. Hubby and I are thinking of staying home and going low-key, and then having a big Christmas with the kids in Memphis. (Haven't told the kids yet....)
Old 11-17-2023, 03:18 AM

A2P, I’ll check my pix file and take shots of any blocks you might have missed. Love your home run celebration block as well as all the others. Great finish.

Re: books, I’m a historical fiction fan. I haven’t been reading as much as I used to but I’ve got a pile of books just waiting for me when the mood strikes. Most recently I’ve read some books by Silas House. He writes about Appalachia. Love his style.

Cyrano is finally eating very well. May it last a long while.

Old 11-17-2023, 04:21 AM

Books, I enjoy...............Classics that I haven't ever read or those that were "required reading" in high school or college. The tomes that were required long ago are completely new reads now that it is with an adult's perspective and without an exam after the last page is finished. What joy it has been to meet Dick Whittington or Hester Prynne or Silas Marner again. My other choice is historical fiction. I find I can easily slip away into another age and time, learn a little about the way of life and be a bit of a window peeker into the life of the characters. Too many favorites to list. Listening and quilting with a cup of tea close but is a delight.
Old 11-17-2023, 05:37 AM

As one of the lurkers, I want to say thank you to everyone for your beautiful creations and great stories. You have kept me sane this fall semester by keeping me tied to my creative side and reminding me that my world is not as tiny as it seems. It is too easy to get swallowed up by stress when you are tied to your house and job without the quiltingboard. Thank you for being the wonderful BOOMers that you are! Thank you for your perspectives on all your adventures! I can't wait to see your flimsies!
Old 11-17-2023, 05:54 AM

All 2 pieces great blocks and I love mine. Nice and bright.

WMUT I felt a lot of pressure in my first few booms also. Then I reminded myself this was my passion and I should be enjoying the process. Once I took the pressure off myself the booms have turned out to be my favorite projects. I have several books of 12” blocks and have a folder with others I have printed and always surfing for more.

We received gut wrenching news yesterday. Their are 3 other couples we do most activities with and have been together about 20 years, our friend Bob has been given a year to 18 months to live. Nasty ole cancer strikes again! Glad we are going home for the month of December so we can give them big hugs and do what we can to support them.
Old 11-17-2023, 09:48 AM

Terriamn, I’m sorry to hear about your friend. It’s great that you are going to spend some time with him and his wife and offer support. It’ll be one of the best things you can do.

Old 11-17-2023, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by All2Pieces View Post
Rebaquilts, These two are for you. One of them I'm calling Impatience Corners, because the sizing turned out wrong and I had to piece it! The other with the vintage Simplicity patterns shows old evening gowns like my mom wore for celebrations. She sewed all her gowns. I hope you can use them.
Love those last 2 blocks and the gowns are so pretty. Isn't it amazing in hindsight that she sewed all of her gowns? It was a different time for sure. Hugs!