Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Dear Jane Christmas Block Swap - Closed >

Dear Jane Christmas Block Swap - Closed

Dear Jane Christmas Block Swap - Closed

Old 08-17-2009, 05:46 PM
Banned

i think its fine, some of these pieces are so tiny that unless its a super tiny print you don't see it anyway.

not to mention that all these blocks are just so beautiful they really don't need anything extra to make them shine.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Esqmommy
I was just rummaging thru my stash and found this fabulous shiny red organza cotton that was put out this year - possibly Moda, but not sure because the selvedge isn't marked. However, it was pretty pricey and has the best feel to it. Heavy enough to quilt with but really shimmery for the holiday. Lovely red cranberry color, with a touch of cream in it so it's not too deep in color. Hard to exactly explain. The only problem is because it's a solid, I need to pair it with something with a bit of a print, preferably cream. It's such a lovely fabric I don't want the other one to say much in the square. I'm thinking of a cream I have that has holly leaves (basically a white on white in cream) in the background, and using it for the K2 blocks. Do you think it will be too boring to use to basically "solid" reading fabrics for the block? I'm thinking because the pieces are so small that it won't be significant and that the shimmer from the red will be enough...If anyone has any thoughts, I'd love to hear them. I'll try to post pix of the fabrics if I can get to it tonight.
By the sounds of things it would be fantastic! Especially since we are going for that Christmasy feel!
Kendra
Old 08-17-2009, 06:00 PM
Power Poster

Esqmom...sounds lovely to me! I'd love to see a pic of the fabric.

We finally put the last roll of hay in the barn tonight...whew!!! Now it can rain. :D AND....I can get back to important stuff, like working on my swaps, IRR and the new baby quilt!
Old 08-17-2009, 06:00 PM

Klue - I have a quick question.
I am debating on doing a second set but I was trying to find a block that had not yet been picked. Here's the question - how hard is block A1 or block C10? It is hard to tell from the picture. I love A1 and I am really leaning that way but wanted to get you opinion.
Thanks so much!
Kendra
Old 08-17-2009, 06:07 PM
Banned

neither of those blocks would be difficult if you know how to paper piece.

i think if you were to try and do traditional piecing it would be rather frustrating.

if you paper piece them they will come out perfect but they do have quite a few pieces to them.

A1 = 28 pieces per block
C10 = 37 pieces per block

Old 08-17-2009, 06:46 PM
Power Poster

K---A1 is all HSTs with the 4 corners being blocks that you add a triangle to one corner. I haven't done the math but if you want to do it with HSTs I could redraft so you could cut HSTs with a small template if you like. The corners could be done by cutting a small square and sewing it onto the larger square and trimming . \
If you like I could work it up for you and you could see which you would rather do template cutting or paper piecing.
I don't paper piece so templates are always my choice. I can provide the small template free. Just let me know.

Here is a link that was posted earlier by Butterflywing
There is a list of blocks you can see up close.

http://members.tripod.com/~Lisa_Jane/rowa.html

Old 08-17-2009, 07:05 PM

Thank you Klue, I received my cutting instructions. Looks like fun!
Old 08-17-2009, 07:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by suzic46
Thank you Klue, I received my cutting instructions. Looks like fun!
you're welcome, i'm glad you could join in and play with us.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:28 PM

i haven't done applique forever. i was just cutting out some patterns and messing with one of the pieces that will be appliqued. i surged the edges and i works so easy. the surged edge is about one eigth of an inch. so either cut the seam allowance down to one eighth of an inch or turn the surged part under a quarter of an inch as you stitch it.

make sense??????????

bettia
Old 08-18-2009, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda
K---A1 is all HSTs with the 4 corners being blocks that you add a triangle to one corner. I haven't done the math but if you want to do it with HSTs I could redraft so you could cut HSTs with a small template if you like. The corners could be done by cutting a small square and sewing it onto the larger square and trimming . \
If you like I could work it up for you and you could see which you would rather do template cutting or paper piecing.
I don't paper piece so templates are always my choice. I can provide the small template free. Just let me know.

Here is a link that was posted earlier by Butterflywing
There is a list of blocks you can see up close.

http://members.tripod.com/~Lisa_Jane/rowa.html

Thanks. I do not yet know how to paper piece. I would love to learn but haven't had the guts to try yet. I am looking around to see if there is a class offered nearby.
I thought the same thing about the HST. It looks like a pinwheel in the middle. It didn't look difficult. Rhonda, thanks for the offer of the templates. I have your little 1 1/2 inch template. I used it for my pinwheels on my doll quilt that went to K3N. What templates do you think I would need for A1?
Thanks for the help ladies!
Kendra