Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
I'm upset...he didn't like it >

I'm upset...he didn't like it

I'm upset...he didn't like it

Old 01-03-2011, 05:58 PM

If he is older, sometimes they just don't think before they say something. My dad got like that when he got older, My mom did too, things she never would have said when she was younger, just came out. I'm sorry I know it hurts. You did a wonderful job. Sometimes you cannot win no matter what you do. Keep Quilting. I think it is beautiful!!!
Old 02-06-2011, 07:29 PM

I'm sorry. I can understand that as my dad would do the same so he doesn't see or get things I make as he is so critical. Maybe one of your siblings if you have one could help with that or maybe you can express your hurt to him at some point. I haven't been able to so I just avoid.
It was a beautiful piece and is his loss on so many levels.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:35 PM

I think it's very pretty
Old 02-06-2011, 07:38 PM

I really like it...try not to take it to heart too much...
My mom is that way, I just had to learn to get a stiff upper lip...but it still hurts.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:02 PM

I understand your hurt. My Dad used to say hurtful uncaring things to me, never spent any time with just me but had plenty of time for my five brothers. I offered to take him fishing one time when he said he really wanted to go but couldn't use a boat by himself anymore. Well we had a beautiful pontoon boat just made for fishing and we lived on a lake. I often took it out by myself to fish for the day. When I told him I would take him, he said 'Why would I want to fish with a girl when I have five boys I can fish with." I cried inside but said nothing to him. I later told my DH and he made me understand that I am valuable even if my Dad can't see it. I was in my 40s at the time. So I hope you don't let this hurt you for too long. You are a valuable person no matter what your dad said. And a big hug to both of us. It must still hurt me a little or I wouldn't have brought it up.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by taiboo
My husband felt REALLY bad about it and loved it and today asked me if tomorrow he could go to my local LQS and buy me the accu-go that i have been waiting for July to get in order to receive my bday discount my lqs offers...LOL...I had to fess up that i already bought it online for almost $100 cheaper LOL and it will be here on Tues. OPPPS
What a sweet man. He thought of something that he knew was important to you to make you feel better. :)
Old 02-06-2011, 08:24 PM

{{{{{[HUG}}}}} I am so sorry. I love your wall hanging, it is very patriotic and very well done. You couldn't have done any better.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:30 PM

It's too bad your father didn't realize how hurtful his words and actions were to you. It is a beautiful little quilt and you should be proud of it. I did notice with my parents that as they got older, they said things that never would have been uttered when they were younger. I always said I would write myself a letter to remind myself of things I would never do when I was old. I better start now!
Old 02-06-2011, 08:37 PM

HUGGS...so sorry he did not like it .. u did a SUPER job.. dont let this stop u from quilting
Old 09-21-2011, 06:44 AM

I know the feeling on that one. Many years ago I was making Sweat shirts for family members for christmas and my mom told me the same thing. She said it was the most hideous thing she had ever seen and received. I was heart broken. It took me a while to get over that but I did.

It should have been the thought that counted and not what you received....at least that is how she raised us...but apparently she forgot she taught as that.

I did remind her that she taught us that......that the giving is in the heart and the thought that one remembers another on special occasions. She never responded back to it.

Personally I would talk to your dad about his behavior and that what you created was from the heart celebrating him and that his behavior is unacceptable. And if he does not respond to it either just take a deep breath and say "oh well N-E-X-T". That is what I had to do with my mom.