Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
I'm upset...he didn't like it >

I'm upset...he didn't like it

I'm upset...he didn't like it

Old 11-24-2010, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Julianna
My Mother-in-Law was extremely critical of any gift. She would open it, say "No" and hand it back. She gave specific instructions on exactly what she wanted and still was not satisfied. At first I thought it was me, but she was like that with everyone. So don't take the pain. It is not you. You are a loving, caring, talented daughter. Your father, unfortunately is not appreciative. It took me a long time to not accept the pain, hope you don't get any more.
Geez -- well, I hope you did the same thing to her! :lol: :twisted:
Old 11-24-2010, 07:41 PM

Have been sitting here wanting to write something. It is hard, you see, I had a mother and a father like that. It is very painful & hurtful. Go get your lovely quilt back. Know in your heart that it IS gorgeous. And then make many many more quilts with love, care and your obvious talent. People will come along who appreciate you and your talent and be thrilled to be blessed with your creations.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:56 AM

I guess I'm not as nice as others are. I would have picked it up, said "So sorry you don't appreciate it" and walked out the door. You can send it to me.....I think it is lovely. Great work.

Lynn
Old 11-28-2010, 06:04 AM

I realize this is an old thread, but your quilt is really pretty. And patriotic. I'm kind of curious...did he ask for a Patriotic quilt?

I think it IS patriotic and tasteful.

Get it back and hang it up or give it to a friend or a military person or someone here if somehow looking at it makes you think of your dad.

In the future, get him gift certificates for a drug store. Older people can always use CVS gift certifications for the medications they almost always taking. :)
Old 11-28-2010, 06:55 AM

Your quilt looks great, get it back & give it to someone else who says they love it, & don't give anymore quilts to him. He doesn't deserve anything handmade, if that's his attitude, doesn't matter if he is your dad, or not! I have found, with making things, we have to be careful who we share them with. Too many just don't appreciate quilts, or other handmade items & have no idea we put a little of our heart in each handmade thing also! So, for him, & lots of others like him, it's their loss, & they get nothing else like this from me....
Old 11-28-2010, 07:14 AM

Yep, My first quilt was a queen size log cabin for my parents, It is shoved in a closet. I am going to get it back!
Old 11-28-2010, 07:19 AM

Good for you! You should! I have given so few of my handmade items to family members. I have been hurt too many times in the past. It's not that I don't want to share, or give them a gift of them, but I have just grown tired of being hurt in the past, or hearing unkind remarks afterwards. We all have hearts too, right, so we need to be careful & protect ours too. I recently told my SD, who lives in CA, about this, said if she were here sometime, & loved one I made, I would more than likely, give it to her. But send one, & not know colors or likes & dislikes, no way. I want my quilts to be used & loved, or on display at least, not stashed in a closet, unappreciated & forgotten! .....
Old 11-28-2010, 09:00 AM

To reply to Sewjoyce. No I did not treat my Mother-in-Law the same way. I did not want to spread the pain. I tried to teach our son and daughter to also not accept the hurt. I remember my little daughter crying when she gave her a Christmas gift she made in Sunday School and colored the Baby Jesus. Her Grandmother asked "Who's She?" Our daughter laughed and thought it was a joke. She explained to her Grandmother who became extremely nasty saying she would not have her grandchildren taught such lies. Needless to say she did not celebrate Christmas and we never celebrated with her either. My husband grew up with with it and his father who was religious and very kind helped him. Anyway we still gave her birthday gifts and Mothers Day gifts and tried to please her but I will admit one thing I did. When she rejected the gift and handed it back I had chosen something I liked to have for myself :)
Old 11-28-2010, 10:50 AM

I'm so sorry for you and also know how you feel..my mom is never happy with what i do and picks everything apart she has now started doing that to my children and i had to have a conversation with her about it. I love and appreciate everything my children do/make for me..{{{hugs}}}

p.s. I love it and you did a GREAT job!! Honestly it's his loss for not seeing and appreciating your talent!!
Old 11-28-2010, 11:05 AM

I love your wall hanging. It is beautiful! I am sorry your Dad hurt your feelings. It would have hurt mine too. I have learned over the years that there is very few people in my family that I would take my time to make anything for. Some people are so unappreciative. I would give anything if my Daughter would make me something for an occasion. Just to have something that she took the time to make would mean everything to me. I hope you don't make your Dad anything else because he doesn't deserve it after the way he treated you. I hope this doesn't offend you but it's the darn truth!