Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Latest quilt, for a friend >

Latest quilt, for a friend

Latest quilt, for a friend

Old 09-26-2010, 09:25 AM

I have a friend that I did an I Love Lucy quilt for. She is the only caregiver for her 89 year old mother, single and works full time. She always seems to have time for anyone else that needs help somewhere in her hectic life. It was a twin size, the size she always said she wanted when she had time to learn to quilt. I gave it to her at Christmas and she didn't respond either and I felt that maybe it wasn't good enough for her or who knows why else she wasn't as nearly as excited it recieve it as I was to make and give it. A couple weeks later, she came to visit with a personal thank you. She said that when she opened it she was just speechless . She couldn't believe someone could make her such a beautiful gift that required so much of my time and money just for her ! She had tears in her eyes. It was definately all worth it !!!
Old 09-26-2010, 09:28 AM

Gorgeous quilt! Your friend's life sounds overwhelming. You are thoughtful friend....so give her some time.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:37 AM

You don't say whether you friend is getting any support from any other family, like husband, siblings, or whatever. If she is not, she probably feels buried by all the responsibilities in her life, and is too emotionally numb to react to much of anything (specking from previous personal experience). See if she uses it or puts it somewhere special, give her time, and JeannieJo said, she may just have been speechless. Maybe give her the benefit of the doubt, considering her circumstances. Considerate friends like you may be what she needs to get through.

Your quilt is gorgeous!
Old 09-26-2010, 09:39 AM

About two months ago, a similar situation to yours was discussed on this site and had a tremendous number of responses. Some were so sad that I hurt for those who had done such a wonderful thing for people who, not only didn't appreciate the quilts, but also made very hurtful remarks to those who gave them. Your disappointment is understandable, but you know the love that was given along with your beautiful quilt, whether she ever recognizes it or not.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:40 AM

I love the quilt......I've been seriously 'underwhelmed' by responses too. Hope that changes for you. It sorta sucks. And it's hard to pick out the 'quilt people'. I've had friends say flat out to me: Never give me quilt. I'm not a quilt person. I don't like them and I don't want one in my house'. At least she was clear. And when we talked about it turned out she loved the idea of a tablecloth......go figure....
Old 09-26-2010, 09:55 AM

A quilt can be a great source of joy! I hope you can talk to your friend and find out exactly what would put that "bright spot" of joy in her life!

The quilt is beautiful! Not only does it reflect her heritage, but the colors are bright and vibrant! Very perky!
Old 09-26-2010, 10:29 AM

I'm sorry you had such a let-down with your beautiful quilt. The colors are spectacular; that quilt would bring cheer to anyone! Perhaps your friend is overwhelmed right now and really does appreciate your gift. Perhaps she just doesn't "get" how much time and effort goes into a gift like this.

Before I give a quilt as a gift, I try to make sure the recipient is going to appreciate it. Many years ago I made a quilt for my mother in law and gave it to her for Christmas. I used her favorite color (pink) and put a lot of effort into the quilt. She opened her present, said "Oh, thanks" in a very disinterested voice, and I've never seen the quilt again. As far as I know, it's never been on her bed.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:32 AM
Power Poster

it's wonderful. and i know what you mean about some people being underwhelmed. my friend had a glass face and it shows when she doesn't like something. maybe she didn't know what to think about the quilt but will love it in the end i'm sure.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:45 AM

It is truly gorgeous
Old 09-26-2010, 10:47 AM

I agree with many who have said that your friend may be completely overwhelmed by the pressures in her life. She may not have even "been there" opening the gifts but thinking of other things that she "should" have been doing.

I made a quilt for my first granddaughter for her baptism. Try as I might, I was only able to complete about 1/3 of the quilting in time for the party. So I decided to give it anyway, and finish the quilting another day. I wrapped it with the quilt back facing outward so that the Inside would be a surprise. I also tried to position it so that as much of the Quilting was facing up, and the quilting pins hidden. Well... when my DIL opened the package she lifted it up a bit out of the box and laughingly said, "you don't want her to have it with all these pins in it still, do you?" I laughed too and started to tell my story but stopped in amazement as she lowered the quilt back into the box. She didn't look at the Front of the quilt at all. She made no other comment. It was set aside and another gift was opened. Six years later, I still have the quilt in my sewing room. But that's ok... one day I will give it to my sweet gr'daughter - when she is older. I think that some people just don't understand that we put our hearts into a quilt. And that's okay...