Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Latest quilt, for a friend >

Latest quilt, for a friend

Latest quilt, for a friend

Old 09-26-2010, 10:48 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Keep in mind that you were led to give to her out of love and caring.
Her response, or lack thereof, will be between her and her Lord, and really is no longer in your hands.

It's hard not to be human and need validation, we ALL do, but you have done well, God recognizes it, and He will deal with her if necessary. Perhaps you and He both will give her a love gift of time as well.

Try to let go as you remember you didn't give it to her for thank yous.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:04 AM
Power Poster

This quilt is very beautiful and I love the bright colors :D:D:D

I am sorry she was not as excited as you hoped she would be... I have found if I ask first if there is an interest in receiving a quilt, there is less chance of disappointment on my end. Quilts just aren't everyone's thing :( (((HUGS)))
Old 09-26-2010, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by SharonD
I love your quilt. It is so bright and cheery. Perhaps your friend has other things on her mind just now, and hasn't realised how thoughtful and loving you have been. You have given her something special, and that's what friends are for. :)
I agree. I imagine that the first time she wraps herself up in it she will realize just how special your gift to her really was. Give her time. :wink: If she still doesn't seem to appreciate your gift, then let the ill feelings go. You know how much love you put into it -- even if she doesn't. Sometimes it is a crap shoot when gifting someone with a quilt. Back in May of this year I made a Curious George quilt for my fiance's youngest grandson -- even though he tried to discourage me from making a quilt for either of his grandsons. I have been to his son's home several times and he (my fiance) has been there even more than I have, and we have yet to see that quilt anywhere!! Nothing has ever even been mentioned about it!! My fiance's daughter-in-law has never thanked me for it either. Whenever we've asked his grandsons about the quilt, we just get a blank look. It makes me wonder if I should spend all the time it would take to make each of them an "I Spy" quilt since I don't know if they would even appreciate it. Then I tell myself to go ahead and do it anyway because I know I am doing it because I love them.

BTW: I absolutely LOVE your quilt!!
Old 09-26-2010, 11:09 AM

I have had this happen to but later learned how much the person loves the quilt. It could be her current circumstance making her be like that. I am sure it will bring her more comfort than you realize. Don't stop doing for your friends. Each one may react differently but deep down I think they treasure your gift. You did a fantastic job!
Old 09-27-2010, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by Jeanniejo
I have a friend that I did an I Love Lucy quilt for. She is the only caregiver for her 89 year old mother, single and works full time. She always seems to have time for anyone else that needs help somewhere in her hectic life. It was a twin size, the size she always said she wanted when she had time to learn to quilt. I gave it to her at Christmas and she didn't respond either and I felt that maybe it wasn't good enough for her or who knows why else she wasn't as nearly as excited it receive it as I was to make and give it. A couple weeks later, she came to visit with a personal thank you. She said that when she opened it she was just speechless . She couldn't believe someone could make her such a beautiful gift that required so much of my time and money just for her ! She had tears in her eyes. It was definitely all worth it !!!
I have the same opinion. Some time when things are all against you and some nice gives you a gift from the heart, it is really hard then and there to say how you feel. Just when you least expect it I am sure your friend will come and say thank you. Maybe not for a while but she will.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:17 AM

Beautiful and very thoughtful. It is possible that with being soooo overwhelmed by the things in life around her that she just was not capable of the excitement nor appreciation. BUT you did a wonderful thing here and it will be something she can reflect on through the years (and it may take that long for her to understand what you truly did). Just think of it as a good deed that you were inspired to do and take pride in your work.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:58 AM

Your quilt is beautiful and breathtaking. I'm sure in later years it will be a treasured item for your friend.
We all need to remember that not everyone is as affected by our quilt and quilting as we are. And even if our gift is appreciated it doesn't have the same impact on everyone.

I have only made quilts for my family members. All 4 of my sisters treasure and use their quilts on their beds. Both my brothers have theirs out on their couches and cover up for naps and tv watching. I was so distressed when I visited one of my nieces recently to find hers on the top shelf of her bedroom closet. The others--who knows. The point is that we "LOVE" to make them and give them. Someday when I'm no longer here, I hope even the niece who has hers on the shelf, will remember it was lovingly made and given to her by her favorite aunt!

Roxanne
Old 02-23-2011, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by woody1229
A friend of mine just had a birthday, and is going through a tough time - her parents are ailing badly and she has twin 12-year old sons with autism. Seemed like she needed a quilt for her birthday. I wanted it to reflect her Mexican heritage, so I chose bold prints from Alexander Henry (splurged on the good stuff). I completed it in five days, a first for me, and I also noticed how much easier the FMQ is coming.

The only disappointment is that her response to my gift was very underwhelming, it seemed like she barely looked at it when she opened it at her party, and she never said a word to me about it. I'm feeling kind of deflated, and I'm wondering if I should be doing this for friends. Does anybody else have experience with that depressing feeling, that our efforts didn't have the impact we had hoped?
That is really pretty! I can't believe how some people react. Maybe she didn't know how to react to such a gift. Hugs!
Old 02-23-2011, 09:55 AM

I made a quilt for my sister after my 21 year old niece was murdered. It was therapy for me, but she did not seem impressed with it when I gave it to her. The rest of the family thought it was beautiful. She was really impressed at the time, but the hurt was just too much for her at the time. That was 5 years ago and she understands the quilt and loves it.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:08 AM

I have seen several posts about quilt-gifts not being appreciated. And I have had that happen as well ... via both my parents and a sister. It hurts badly. So now when I think I want to make a quilt for someone I let them know I would like to do this AND why. If they are receptive then I also include them in the process .... color choices, patterns etc This has worked out wonderful for those receiving and for me, giving !! The quilt itself is still a surprise bec the end result is so pretty!