Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
My Festival of Quilts experience >

My Festival of Quilts experience

My Festival of Quilts experience

Old 08-15-2011, 03:50 AM

What amazing, exquisite quilts! Stunning colors, brilliant designs! Thank you for sharing your work AND your experiences.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:51 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MTS
Thanks for the report and great pictures. Lots and lots of vibrant colors. It looks like a fabulous show.

Is the competition open to all? Or just Europe?

Heide SW had a line of tonals called Color Connectors for Free Spirit years ago. They were the most amazing tonals I've ever seen. I don't know why they didn't continue with them. I'm still guarding the small amount of lime green I have remaining. ;-)

Her hand-dyes are some of the most gorgeous I've ever seen. I can't wait to see what you come up with.
It is open to all - there were quilters there from all over Europe, Russia, Japan, South America, Asia and the States and Canada.

Another artist's work I forgot to mention who really inspired me was Regina Benson, though Lithuanian born, now living and working in the States. http://www.reginabenson.com/index.html She pushes textile manipulation to a whole new level. I had a long chat with her and she was very generous in sharing her techniques and ideas and her work is fabulous - I especially loved the rust-dyed pieces. :-D

I chatted to the lady on the Heide SW stand and asked about mail order in future and she explained that the fabrics vary from dye batch to dye batch so while they can reproduce similar lines, they never exactly repeat themselves. The ones I bought, (folded in the pic) are graduated from selvage to selvage so I can get a lot of variation across the piece - perfect for landscapes as I can fussy cut from where I want. But these pieces were especially dyed for the show. The big piece on the right of the pic is around 5' square and shades through the spectrum - I have it hung in my studio now on skirt hangers so I can gaze at it. :mrgreen: I don't know yet but I'll probably quilt that wholecloth - couldn't bear to cut it! :lol:
Old 08-15-2011, 03:54 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Great-great granny
Good morning from Texas k - Your work is BEAUTIFUL!! Congratulations on your awards. Love your Deconstructing Clarice.

I looked at your website & your ART took my breath away. Your eye for color is outstanding. I LOVED your "A Hearty Splash of Colour". What a great take off on a big log cabin. Is the pattern your original or from a pattern available to others?

I love the beauty of quilts & trying to make them, unfortunately I am NOT creative w/color or artistic. I need patterns. Get the idea of the strip piecing of the blocks, just wondering about the method to add the black strip between them.

Anyway, anyone on here who hasn't checked out your website definetly should - it's like visiting an art gallery.

Have a blessed day.
Thanks so much - wow that's so kind of you. Hearty Splash of Colour was made using the QAYG method I posted on here as a tute http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-36303-1.htm

The piece I used in the tute is a different one but the principle is the same - if you study the layout in the photo on my website, I guess you could come up with your own version. :-D

EDIT - the hearts floating down on that piece were cut out of fusible web using one of my kids' cookie cutters as a template and machine zigzagged on after the quilt was put together. I'll let you in on a secret if you promise not to tell a soul - I put them on as there was a tiny 'discrepancy' in one of the seams and I wanted to hide it! :mrgreen: :lol:
Old 08-15-2011, 03:56 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by noveltyjunkie
Some great talent there for sure- thanks for sharing! Did they have traditional pieced quilts too?
Yes, there was an entire category dedicated to them - I didn't take many pics there, I'm sorry. It's not that I don't admire the traditional style, I do. But I take pics to inspire my art quilt work, hence the emphasis on those in my pictures. :-D
Old 08-15-2011, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by Patty Patches
Your quilts are breathtakingly beautiful.
DITTO to that.
I bought some paints and I am hopeing to add them to my quilts for a different look, but I wish there where more hours in a day, :lol: I haven't had time to quilt for a while now.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:21 AM
Banned

THANKS SO MUCH K - I've bookmarked it, as I have a couple of Christmas lap quilt projects in mind & think this would be great to use for them.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:32 AM

Wow, your quilts are so wonderful. Thank you for the overview of the show. I've bookmarked everything and will be revisiting these sites as time permits. The possibilities are just endless, aren't they?
Old 08-15-2011, 04:37 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sparkys_mom
Wow, your quilts are so wonderful. Thank you for the overview of the show. I've bookmarked everything and will be revisiting these sites as time permits. The possibilities are just endless, aren't they?
There was a woman on a TV programme here recently - about business, not quilting, but her motto was 'don't tell me the sky's the limit if there are footprints on the moon'. She was mocked somewhat for this (and her confident attitude in general) BUT I think it's great saying. :-D
Old 08-15-2011, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
'don't tell me the sky's the limit if there are footprints on the moon'
Brilliant! :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 08-15-2011, 06:21 AM

Your quilts were just wonderful. Thanks for sharing the others as well. I think I liked yours the best.