Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2014 UFO Challenge of the Month >

2014 UFO Challenge of the Month

2014 UFO Challenge of the Month

Old 01-23-2014, 08:31 AM
Swap Hosts

Here is one of my many UFOs. And I guess it is technically still a UFO. I was working out of a bin of fabric bits I got at a fabric designer's tag sale a couple of years ago. It was one of three bins that were in my attic and survived Superstorm Sandy. I started cutting out HSTs on my Accuquilt Go and ended up with two tops that I intended to use on my sofa. The other one is all neutrals. I thought I'd do a two sided quilt ... and then I started cutting the little left over strips from cutting with the Go! and ended up putting on sashing and a border on one. I decided that they will be two separate quilts. But YIKES!!! I had no idea it would be so big! I have no idea how I am going to sandwich and quilt it in the tiny apartment we're in now. It might have to remain a UFO until we (hopefully) buy a house and move in April.

Anyway, here is the more colorful one ... on a king sized bed. Oooof!!!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]458199[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]458200[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails scrap-quilt-3.jpg   scrap-quilt-1.jpg  
Old 01-23-2014, 08:40 AM

Oh Anna, beautiful finishes. I know your DD is so excited. Her quilt is so cute... love the colors. And DHs quilt is amazing. The quilting.... wonderful. I just love your design. Did you FMQ it? or do you have a LA? Or, maybe you hand quilted it.... whatever method, it's super.

Okay, I have finally finished my birds in the air quilt. I started this one 8 years ago, finished the top about 5 years ago, and it's been on my quilting frame for 2 years. I didn't get to finish it last year because I broke my arm and couldn't do anything but now it's done..... Hooray!! I really had to push myself this last month to get it done..... hand quilting 3 blocks a day. It measures 73" x 84" and fits my queen sized bed really well. I still need to put a label on the back but I'm saying.... DONE. Toot, Toot....... on to next month's finish.
Attached Thumbnails birds-quilt-001.jpg   birds-quilt-002.jpg  
Old 01-23-2014, 08:46 AM

Oh Krystyna..... what a pretty quilt..... from scraps?? .... and, it's so big. Amazing!! You may have to wait for a larger space to sandwich it but I used to go to my LQS to do that. They were so helpful to allow me to spread out my quilts in their classroom way back when. So, check out and see from choices that might be out there. Another spot might be your local community building or church meeting room. I'm sure there will be places that would love to allow you to work on your quilt.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:55 AM
Swap Hosts

Nana-up-North, I love your quilt! The border is amazing. As for my scrappy, I need to see what I have to use for a backing. If it's something that needs to be pieced, I'd like to do that first and then I'll probably take it to the library to work on it. I joined a little group there, but they just crochet and knit. No quilters yet.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:17 AM
Power Poster

Podunk Love the quilt pattern, colors and the wonderful round shape quilting on it. Krystyna what a nice colors. they are colorful but just so slightly muted. Look at all those triangles with their perfect points. Nanna up North also congrats upon finishing your quilt. It is so lovely with all the little half square triangles and the beautiful applique border. I really like pieced quilts with applique but seldom seem to do it myself. As for the quilting I did on my quilts, I do longarm quilting and I free motioned it. Going into longarm quilting helped me finish my own gigantic quilts. Before that I had my Janome 6500 and did free motion on that for over 10 years. I still do for doll quilts or other smaller quilts as it does some wonderful quilting also but for the big ones and business I use an Innova 26 on a 12 foot frame.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:45 AM

I redid my quilt top with advice from QB members. I'm much happier now and am trying to decide if I want to try to do some straight line quilting on the sides of the squares or let my church quilter's group sandwich and tie it. It measures 60 by 63 and I decided that I don't want to add anymore to it.

I have a full day of sewing available because there isn't school again because of wind chills around 40 below this morning. This is the third time this month and usually school is cancelled in my area only with a significant amount of snow and that only happens once a year or every other year.

So no half day of subbing for me and my evening volunteer opportunity got cancelled too.

Once again, thanks for the advice. I stitched over a few crooked seams, took off the outside 5 rows as a unit, measured width and length, added more to the rows for those measurements, and, VOILA!, I'm satisfied!

Connie

P.S. Both of our cats are checking out my sewing area now.

before and after pictures:
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 01-23-2014, 10:50 AM

That's the after picture. It's still a little saggy but much better. Here's the before picture:
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Last edited by retiredteacher09; 01-23-2014 at 10:55 AM.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:06 AM

Looking at the beautiful finishes on this page has really warmed my soul on this frigid NewEngland day. Krystyna, your quilt top is so cheerful and the border just finishes it off so nicely. And you got to use up the scraps ! Great job.

Nanna-up-north, I'm so impressed with your finish! The quilt is beautifully pieced, appliquéd and quilted, and oh, the birds!!! Just lovely!

Retired teacher 09, looks much better with the alterations you made. Here's to a speedy finish. Good lookin' blues!
Old 01-23-2014, 11:16 AM

Krystyna, what a beautiful use of color. I am always amazed that it takes nearly nine yds. of fabric to make a bedsize quilts but not even an eighth of my scraps.
Jean: Your quilt more than fulfilled the promise it made while it was still on the quilting frame. Truly a classic!
Teacher: Still love those colors together, so bright and crisp. Glad you are happier with the sashing, and now you know the secret.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:12 PM
Power Poster

More beautiful quilts finished. I love blues and really like the pattern. Great way of using scraps and adding lots of visual interest.