Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2014 UFO Challenge of the Month >

2014 UFO Challenge of the Month

2014 UFO Challenge of the Month

Old 07-11-2014, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Emma S View Post
Nena: Love your Clam Shell! As Jean and Michelle have said, would love to hear your journey to producing this beauty!
Just beautiful and your choice of fabrics is awesome

Judy in PHx, AZ
Old 07-11-2014, 05:12 PM

Nannaupnorth, I would never try to cut these out without the Go Cutter. They have the notches to pin and that really helps. It is really not as hard as I thought . You can do it if I can! Go Girl.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:27 PM

Nena--I agree with everyone else...great quilt and quilting! I would really like to learn how to do curved sewing someday...
Old 07-15-2014, 01:20 AM

Cool Hey Folks! I did it!

Hi all!

So I'm mostly new to all things quilting, including this forum. I've read all the posts from 1-68, and love all the finished quilts! All of you are amazing rock stars and are such an inspiration to me. You all deserve a pat on the back, round of applause, and TOOT TOOT of the "I'm finished" horn. Congrats and keep p with the wonderful work, y'all can do it!!

Of the 4 quilted things that I've completed in my life so far, my latest has been my most ambitious. I just finished the top this morning, but it stewed in the pot as a WISP for almost a year. It is 71" X 100", and is the biggest quilt top I've seen in person, and have ever done.(try not to stare at the imperfections too much, they get nervous with a lot of attention). All in all I think not too shabby for my 4th quilt top.

All that's left to do is sandwich quit, and bind. B/c of its size I've ben debating on taking it to get LA quilted or just bite the bullet and do it my self. My prob. mostly is idk what the cost of LA is, since a single non-working mom budget doesn't allow for much free spending money. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated ^_^!

Oh and to those who were interested in the clamshell pattern I ran across this pattern w/ instructions from McCalls. I'll try to post the link here: http://www.mccallsquilting.com/patte...html?idx=14109

Hope I got the pic to work. Happy Quilting!

~Qiltology (aka Sabrina)
Attached Thumbnails p1060110.jpg   p1060114.jpg   p1060113.jpg   p1060112.jpg  
Old 07-15-2014, 03:45 AM

Wow Quiltology! That is a great quilt for it just being your 4th. The appliqué turned out very nice.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:42 AM

Sabrina: Your quilt would be wonderful if it was your hundredth, but for your fourth its just outstanding. Love the way you used the contrasting stitching to make the shape of the flowers come alive. I took the plunge into FM a couple of years ago and I'm glad I did. Your quilt would lend itself to straight line quilting which you could do without FM. If you want to take the plunge into FM just make some test sandwiches and go for it. If you run into trouble someone on the Board is always willing to help. Thanks for the link to the clam shell pattern. Welcome to the Board from another Oregonian.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:25 AM

Beautiful quilt. You want to see imperfections. You should see my fourth one. lol
Old 07-15-2014, 06:18 AM

Fourth quilt? Wow!! It is just beautiful, and so happy! Congratulations and welcome to the board!
Michelle
Old 07-15-2014, 06:41 AM

Oh, Sabrina. Your quilt is absolutely stunning. If there are any imperfections, I don't see them. And, you tackled many difficult details like mitered corners and matching your points on the triangles. Impressive, to say the least. I would think that you wouldn't have much of a problem doing the quilting yourself. I don't send my quilts to a LA because of the cost but that's me. You certainly should check on costs in your area but not be afraid to do it yourself if you decide to go that route. Pat yourself on the back, girl..... you have an absolute winner.

I checked out the clam shell instructions.... it's doable for me. Thanks. And welcome to the board...... it's good to have you along.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:35 AM

It's fabulous, dah-ling!

What an eye you have...black/whites with butter yellow. So distinctive. I'd have never thought of the color combination, but it's lovely!!! Those flowers...wow, just wow.