Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2014 UFO Challenge of the Month >

2014 UFO Challenge of the Month

2014 UFO Challenge of the Month

Old 01-23-2014, 07:13 PM

Retiredteacher.... so glad that the changes have made such a difference. It will be so very pretty when it's finished.

Thanks for the kind comments..... It really helps keep me going.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:04 AM
Power Poster

Everyone has such big finishes. But I did cross 2 UFO's off my list. My GK have a fund raiser at school so this week pulled this out of the UFO pile[ATTACH=CONFIG]458391[/ATTACH]
But wait then I made a star backing to make it reversible[ATTACH=CONFIG]458397[/ATTACH]
The 9P's in this spring table runner were made from leftovers years ago. Then I put the floral corners on and it sat and simmered for a while. Later I added the dots and sewed them in a strip--more simmering. Finally I added the borders, quilted and bound it last night. Whew done in time for auction tomorrow night.[ATTACH=CONFIG]458404[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails double-down-hearts.jpg   double-down-hearts-other-side.jpg   shoofly-my-heart1.jpg  
Old 01-24-2014, 09:17 AM

OK, I'm sure they will be very popular. Done is done, good for you! I really am falling of the cliff. Joined several quilt along's and BOM, seem to be a start mode, not a finish mood. Help me!
Old 01-24-2014, 09:31 AM

Really nice finishes, oksewglad. I love the hearts..... just the right time of year for that one. And the table runner will look good no matter what the season.

Okay Emma, you're asking for help.... tell us what you need us to do. A kind word??? You know you'll love to have that last UFO finished..... or a grumpy hint? Enough fooling around already, it's time to get back to work. All you have to do is ask and we'll help you get jump started again. hahaha.... okay, I'm going back to work.
Old 01-24-2014, 03:26 PM

So much fun seeing all the finishes. If everyone does this good all year, we will all be very happy by year's end! Thanks everyone for sharing pictures.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:58 PM

I haven't checked in for a few days and you people have been busy!!!

rteacher - love the blue and white quilt. I think that after you sandwich, quilt and wash the quilt, you will find it's resolved itself to a certain degree. I just kept looking at the quilt. I love the sashing around each row of blocks.

Rita - okay, besides the fact that your DH is a great guy, he sure picked a terrific pattern and the fabrics are beautiful. It's lovely. Did you do the quilting yourself? LA or DM? It looks fabulous.

Annaquilts - love the Underground Railroad quilt. I made one of those a few years ago and enjoyed doing it. The Batik squares quilt? The colors are very calming and the quilting is beautiful. Great finishes!

Krystyna - your quilt top is terrific! The idea that someone had about going to a community center or quilt shop to lay it out was a good one. It would be so frustrating to have such a beautiful top done and not be able to complete it.

Nanna - You did all the quilting by hand? The applique as well? It is a beautiful quilt and I'm so impressed especially that you did it by hand. I can't even imagine.

Oksewglad - the two-sided table runner is great! It can be used for Valentine's Day and then turned over. I love the way you made the hearts. Very modern. The other table runner is beautiful. I love how you sit and "ponder" your next move. Lets the creative juices simmer a little bit.

Emma - first let me ask what quilt alongs you joined and BOM. I always like to see what people are working on and then feel compelled to join in...but I digress. We all go through the "I want to start something new" phase. Maybe if you start something new you can assign yourself to 30 minutes of working on a UFO before starting something new. That way you can look forward to the new thing. But if not, you are still accomplishing something by working on something new! It's all good!
Old 01-24-2014, 06:19 PM
Power Poster

@michelleoc--Thank you. FYI, here's the link to the design, can't credit it for myself.

http://www.rileyblakedesigns.com/cut...13/i-applique/
Old 01-24-2014, 06:29 PM

Michelle and Jean: Hello my name is Emma and I am a Magpie. Anything bright, colorful and made with small pieces of 100% cotton I am attracted too. With my stash, rotory cutter and ruler I am more than willing to START anything. I think the only way to get through this phase is to just let it run its course, kind of like the mumps. Its just that I was so good last year, finishing six bedsize UFOs. Thank you both for your support.
Now to the good stuff. I feel like I am spreading my disease. First I was pulled into the Celtic Solstice Mystery that Bonnie Hunter just revealed, about five weeks of intensive piecing. I started out making a king and decided to make it a queen (99 X 99). Then there is the great medallion quilt along that Elisabrat and Jabba are hosting on the Board, we are currently done with the center and are doing the first round. This one so inspired me that I took the twenty-five left over blocks from Bonnie's and am in the process of making a medallion type back. Then there is Pat Sloan's mystery quilt along, currently I have finished the center called Washington's square. Then there is the project of the month hosted here on the Board, sorry the hosts name escapes me. Then Judy is starting her Mystery Train Ride on the Board this next Fri., the 28th. Last but not least, there is another quilt along that will start on Feb. 1st, again on the Board. My apologies to the hosts I just stumbled onto the last two in the last few days.

Be forwarned going to any of these sites or threads can cause a immediate surge in the number of your UFOs and/or the chaos in your sewing rooms.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:37 PM
Power Poster

LOL Emma--my name is Magpie II. Quilt Guild friends think I'm crazy to make my little quilts and then feed my additciton with their scraps.

FYI, the two table runners sold tonight for Gkids's school--they brought in $175 and a third wall hanging netted another $100. But then pies also bring in as much!!!
Old 01-25-2014, 07:38 PM

Well I am very happy today, I have a quilt top I am considering done. I will have to wait till later in the year to get backing fabric but I am done!

This was a UFO of a class project from February 2013. Once the class was over I didn't get back to it, until last weekend.

This is my second UFO quilt top this month...YAY!!
Attached Thumbnails img_00000178.jpg