2015 Fabric Moratorium

Old 03-23-2015, 05:08 AM

That's it paperprincess we're nest building. Good excuse .

I agree with Emma if I understand the conditions of moratorium (which some days I might) since you purchased fabric needing it for a project it doesn't count.

Emma S - I'm glad you got a good deal on your mat even if JA's marketing people lured you there

Madquilter - ABC panel and linens I don't think count as particular project in mind. And if it helps, 4 yards for $18 would be hard to pass up.

After my fall last week - I'm hoping a stay strong for the going out of business sale (ongoing) . They had several weeks of sales before I went in last week. Just need to stay out of there. Maybe stay out of the general area of the quilt store even - in case the car has a mind of its own. Got my Christmas fabric (and then some) so its on to actually making quilts instead of collecting fabric.

I hope we all stay strong this week in our quest of not adding to our overflowing stash problem.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:49 AM
Power Poster

To help those who have a car with a mind of their own, I can think of a solution to help stop buying.....Get a new car...My 10 yo Buick knew all the LQS locations a short drive from home. Got a new crossover last fall...fabric purchases have declined. Guess the Buick forgot to pass on it's GPS....oh and I have to spend $ on car payments....
Old 03-23-2015, 07:01 AM

I agree with you all on Spring Fever. Thru the fall and winter of last year I made everything for Christmas from my stash. I made lap size quilts for all of the men in my life and grandchildren. A total of 28. Mug rugs for daughters and friends and Christmas ornaments for random gifting, all from my stash. A total of more than 40. I use Bonnie Hunters leader ender idea and had hundreds of 1 1/2" squares paired and partnered into 9 patches. Those cute little 3 1/2" 9 patches are being used in a scrappy quilt that I am working on now, all from my stash.

Sometimes, I believe, we just get tired of our stash and need a shot of new to go with the old.

For the most part, I think we all are doing much better in our quest to use from what we have before purchasing more. I know I have and I keep seeing it over and over again with the rest of you. I love this thread. Sew much fun to be part of it. And sew helpful.

Last edited by Rhonda Lee; 03-23-2015 at 07:11 AM.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:23 AM

The remnants at JA are located by the cutting board. That's not fair. About 30 dollars not fair. But they were all for the far future Crazy Quilt. So at least I know what they will be used for when I manage to get that far.

I also got many of the fat quarters that I'm planning to use for the first Art Quilt Project. More about that in another post. I don't want to go off topic.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
70 yards used qualifies for build up (or a fall from the wagon) belfrybat. Wowser, you have been a busy girl (on both fronts).

I'm still holding steady - taking it one week at a time. Even took a bunch of magazines and books to the guild for the free table. I just put the pile down and turned away, thusly not to be enticed to bring back anything.
Yes, I knew I fell hard--but I didn't build up 70 yards -- I've used that much. I think I have to admit I probably won't stop buying when I find a fabulous sales. I think I'm better off just going to work on reducing my stash. I'm 40 yards down, and will make a goal of being 100 yards down by the end of the year (either used or donated). But that's not a moratorium, so I'll bail from this group.

I wish everyone the very best on your commitment not to buy more fabric -- you all are stronger than I am!
Old 03-24-2015, 07:58 PM

I haven't visited the board for several days because of fighting some crud that is going around. Have enjoyed reading about all the fallings on and off. and the just plain jumping off and on, too. Loved seeing pictures of 'new' fabric posted by the buyers. Since I can't remember each individual posting, just want to say that I think everyone is doing very well..Belfrybat, you don't have to leave us. :-( I actually think that even though this is a 'moratorium' we all have to have some leniency with our habits. I applaud everyone for doing the best they can. I am going with a few of my guild members to a quilt show Friday and will try and resist if there are vendors there..but there are always things other than fabric that might be on my 'must have' list. :-)
Old 03-25-2015, 06:07 AM

belfrybat - wow forty yards down - way to go.

When Stonehenge fabric is $5/yard (as it was with the going out of business sale) sorry everybody - but that's obviously too much temptation. Just love that stuff But now I'm being good and the checkbook is thanking me I think.

SandyinZ4 - I agree with some leniency. I think we all have reasons why we "signed up". For me I really do need this forum as an intervention of sorts. The last year I have gotten carried away with fabric and now need to use some of these lovely things and make quilts. Knowing a purchase means a confession really does help me.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:54 AM

Yesterday I finished finding fat quarters for the series of mini art quilts. So now it will be a matter of if I got enough of everything or to much. I have my fingers crossed.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:57 AM
Power Poster

I totally understand, belfrybat but agree that you don't need to leave us. We are not the "public flogging" type of group.

Since posting here, I find that I am doing better with my fabric purchases. Do I still buy? Of course - life would be less fun if I wasn't but I don't go crazy with my purchases either because I have a boatload of stash.

This is not a cleansing diet where all you get is clear liquid for the year. It is an approach to a healthier lifestyle that infuses some fruit and veggies with the occasional fries and chocolate sunday.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:46 AM
Power Poster

Sew right, Martina. Now instead of buying because I like it I buy it because I will use it....